HELP NEEDED Replacing a wheel bearing - DIY job?

-Chris-

All,

I tried the search but not found an answer. I've bought new rear wheel bearings from ZMANALEX and i'm debating if i should try to swap them myself or just get the garage to do it.

Is a press required to change the bearing? Does any know of a good 'how to' guide?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

All,

I tried the search but not found an answer. I've bought new rear wheel bearings from ZMANALEX and i'm debating if i should try to swap them myself or just get the garage to do it.

Is a press required to change the bearing? Does any know of a good 'how to' guide?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

No press required Chris as you are replacing the complete hub.

It is a DIY providing you are handy with the tools.

The old hub can be a bit tight in the upright but otherwise straight forward.

Alex. :)

Mmm, I think I'd still rather buy the parts off of Alex and then drop it to the garage and pay for an hours labour.

Sort of agree but some people like the satisfaction of 'having a go'......it makes you all fuzzy inside

Until you break the whole car that is :lol:

Thanks Alex,

DIY it is then! Are there any special tools required? i believe i need a shallow socket to undo the bolts holding on the hub in place and a bearing puller to get enough room to undo them - is this correct?

Chris.

No bearing puller or shallow socket required mate.

Wheel off.

Caliper bolts out and swing caliper to side and support.

Rotor off.

Hub bolts partially off.

Dislodge tight hub by tapping on bolt heads.

Remove hub bolts

Remove hub.

Make sure all faces are clean for assembly, especially the inside face of the rotor.

Alex :)

Thanks again Alex.

You make it sound so simple! :surrender:

I'm not a complete novice so as long as there is easy access to the bolts this should be well within my abilities.

It will be a few weeks before i get around to it but i will report back on how easy (or difficult) it is!

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

All,

I have got around to this finally but have a small issue. I can't get the hub separated from the old bearing. Any hints?

They are removed from the car already. :surrender:

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Chris,

You have pm mate :thumbs:

The instructions above are for the front bearing replacement and not the rear.

Alex. :)

Well that will explain why things didn't go as you you described and why I could really do with a bearing puller!

All,

For info rear bearings are a DIY job but you will need a bearing puller (or a friendly local garage) to remove the bearing carrier from within in the old bearing.

I also removed the drive shaft to get enough access to the bolts holding the bearing housing in place. Alex says it can be done without this but although I couldn't manage it. I could get a 3/8s socket and extension on (through a universal joint for some) but I didn't have a big enough breaker bar to undo them. Removing the drive shafts isn't a big job though.

Chris.

When I did mine I removed the rear carrier complete

RC3.jpg

Put it in a vice

RC4.jpg

took all the bits off

RC5.jpg

Then a large socket and lump hammer will knock the hub (bearing) out

RC6.jpg

But I'm special :blink::lol: so there are probably better/easier ways - pics may help someone :thumbs:

I Hope its a rear - I bolted it back on at the back :scare:

Its a rear the hole in the middle is for the drive shaft :thumbs:

a front would look like this

EngB5.jpg

EDIT : pics take from the inside - or behind as you look at the car that may be why it looks different???

out of interest Gents what mileage are you having to replace rear bearings at ?

I'm having to change my rear nearside unit at 50.5k - is that the same ball park as you ? If yes I may do off side as well as a precautionary measure.

thanks...

Ah yea on second look I can see they are all views from the back.

I could get the bearing off the car (I hit the bolts once loosened to do this) but then how did you get the part inside the wheel bearing (the bit the drive shaft goes through and has the wheel bolts on it-the part on the left in the picture below) out of the bearing? I take it you had a puller?

IMG_1193.jpg

My car is on 82k now.

Ahh see your point - I didnt I replaced the whole thing but I do have a puller - just didn't strip them that far.

Do you need to if your replacing the whole lot?

If you plan to replace both parts then no, but I didn't see a need to replace the carrier (the part on the left of the pic) as well as the bearing (the part in the middle).

Separating these is what a puller is needed for, and then a press to insert the carrier into the new bearing. Not knowing this beforehand has made this job a lot more difficult :dry:

When I do the other side I will have a garage on standby and nip down to get them to remove the old bearing and press the new one on. Lesson learned.

Chris.

Ive done no end of bearings on cars in the past and never used to use a press or a puller.

I use a big socket and a hammer to knock the middle part of the bearing out - it splits the bearing in 2. So you are left with the shell in the hub and the rest on the carrier.

Then you can use a hammer / cold chisel to knock the bit off the carrier. Sometimes an angle grinder or a bit of heat helps.

With regards to the bit of bearing left in the hub, you can use a large socket or an old bearing along with a vice as a diy press to push the bearing out - and the same to press the new one in.

I must have changed about 20 bearings like this before finally investing in a slide hammer & a bearing puller kit last year. They arent cheap, but made the job a lot easier when I did the bearing on my old VW Golf. Did the whole bearing in about 45mins. Including having a tea break. :thumbs: You can actually hire such tools I think too. Not sure what that would cost tho.