2004 350Z Bose no sound on ANY mode - pulse noise

was8v

I know the OE bose is pretty unreliable and theres lots of threads about it.

However using the search I haven't found this exact issue:

Jumped in one cold morning and fire the car up, no sound from the stereo. It looks to be playing to itself, CD counting up, radio showing RDS and tape deck works, just no sound whatsoever for the entirety of the journey.

Few hours later get in the car again and it works perfectly.

Next day doesn't work again.

There is not even the very quiet "static" noise coming out of the speaker that I usually get when the stereo is off.

Does the system have a separate amplifier somewhere - perhaps this is not turning on sometimes? Otherwise could it be a connection in the headunit? Whewre to look first?

Any help much appreciated. I don't want an aftermarket stereo although thats probably the easiest option.

• 1 month later...

Hi Lee,

Pretty soon after I posted the above I got no sound whatsoever, not just intermittent, no music comes out of any speaker whether on CD, tape or radio.

I finally got around to pulling my BOSE out last night to investigate this. I followed the guide to disassemble the unit and re-seat all ribbon cables in the headunit - I didn't think it was this anyway as my problem happens on all radio modes - from searching the ribbon problem seems to be usually just if it happens on CD.

As soon as I turn the ignition on (radio off) I have a feint "pulse" noise through the speakers - turn the radio on and the pulse stays and doesn't change.

As this pulse noise happens only when the amp is turned on (my ignition) and whether the radio is on or off, I suspect my Bose Amp in the boot is duff.

I've googled and googled but all I can find in common issues are problems with a relay in the sub amp - however as all speakers are affected I suspect my main boot amp is at fault.

Do you have used spare bose boot amp units so I can try this?

Cheers!

You're right, the loose ribbon cable only causes left speaker issues when playing CDs.

Sounds like the Bose boot amp is dodgy or the wiring to it. Is the amp servicable, i.e. can you take it apart and check it's getting a signal from the HU?

Could still be something inside the head unit I guess. Haven't seen anyone complaining of total amp failure before!

Well tonight I pulled all the trim out of the boot to get to the amp! Loads of space in there without all that trim!

I removed the amp, and took the lid off it to have a look for blown capacitors or fuses. All seemed fine so I put it back together (redistributed the heatsink compound).

Plugged it back in and everything worked fine!

Ah well, I'm not sure if me taking the amp apart did anything or if it was just a bad connection on the plugs, but its now fixed, for the first time in 2 months I have a radio :teeth:

I'm not sure if me taking the amp apart did anything or if it was just a bad connection on the plugs, but its now fixed

Haha, I've fixed so much electronic kit (PCs, video recorders, CD players...) by simply taking it apart, cleaning, and re-assembling.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to dig this one up but been useing the search box!

lent my mate the z and he calls me up and asks whats the matter with the bose stereo,never had an issue escept the cd skipping which does drive me nuts but really want to keep the original unit,any way he comes back we lock the car and unlock try again all is back to normall so i forget it, next few times i use it the stereo is fine ,till today nothing at all all day from readio or cd ,it is fully working but muted

tried first with removed bluetooth dongle

then removed the thb comms box under passenger glove box and re fitted

then tried pulling the 15 amp fuse under the bonnet to reset

then tried total vehicle battery disconect and re connect

still no sound :headhurt:

Anyone have a fix for this ,is there any kit for repair or overhaul of the bose unit ,i would be very gratefull for any pointers

would have no problem with a stripdown type job if needed

Have you actually tried what the OP did to fix it? I don't see it listed in the things that you have done.

There is a large grey plastic box on the circuit board for the amp in the boot, sometimes this is a little lose and needs a bit of a fiddle to make a clean connection again. I stuck about 5mm thick of paper to the top of it and reassembled the amp again to fix a small problem not to long ago.

Hi guys,

Just noticed this post, I had a similar problem. I have the standard Bose amp (in boot) and speakers but the head unit has been changed for a Pioneer AVIC unit. After some digging around I narrowed it down to a loose connection on the power supply cable for the amp, this is housed in one of the connector blocks that goes into the amp itself. I found the easiest way to diagnose it was to simply wiggle the cables with the stereo playing until the sound came back on. I'm not sure if its a common fault but hopefully this will help :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Well mine dropped out again. In the meantime I had bought a used bose boot amp (£40) to keep as a spare.

I swapped it out for the spare and every things fine again.

I still can't say 100% if its just a loose connection or something more sinister inside the amp.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...