how fast?

JohnUKVetteNut

Hi as a 2 week z owner still pushing the car to see how it goes!!

How fast/0-60 times should I expect from a auto/convertible!!

Just getting to grips with the Power button on the auto transmission! Boy does it sharpen up the gearchange. Have not tried tiptronic yet with power button!! Road has been very wet last few days a am aware that i should tread carefully with my car in the wet!!

JohnUKVette

Off the line, where weight and traction count, the Zed will lose to almost any decent hot hatch. Unfortunately at the speeds at which you'd pull back a lead you'd be seeing blue lights in your rear-view.

It's all about the 3rd and 4th 'in gear' torque. Lazy cruising FTW, leave traffic light Grand Prix stuff to the yoofs in Saxos.

DB

The guy is a lil old for drag racing, no one answered his question. I'd probably say 6-6.5 seconds.

Id say about the same. They are heavy cars, the convertible even more so. Once its moving, 2nd gear will give most cars a run for its money, but off the line you`ll find some hot hatches will be quicker.

One plus thing about the convertible though, is that even though its slightly heavier, the reviewers reckon it handles as good as the coupe.

Its all about fun though with a 350z convertible, the engine noise and the thrill of the drive with the roof down.

"Have not tried tiptronic yet with power button........"

Power button is there to hold the gears in auto. When in Tiptronic, it does nothing.

Fairly sure if alters the throttle response

Fairly sure it doesn't.

My previous zed was an auto and i'd say it improved throttle reponse as well as holding gears... but it might just have been like a placebo button. :lol:

Power button is there to hold the gears in auto. When in Tiptronic, it does nothing.

Fairly sure it doesn't.

Interested to know what experience you base that on?

Fairly sure it doesn't.

My previous zed was an auto and i'd say it improved throttle reponse as well as holding gears... but it might just have been like a placebo button. :lol:

+1 throttle in mine SEEMS to be noticebly sharper, but in normal its smoother. :thumbs:

Fairly sure it doesn't.

Interested to know what experience you base that on?

I have a JDM auto.

I also have a JDM auto and the power button does change the throttle response (it's a fly-by-wire throttle after all).

Interesting it's easier to see in the Z than in my other car with a "software" throttle (an e39 M5). In the BMW, pressing the sport button while the throttle is part-way down will not change the mapping until you lift off the throttle and press again. In the 350Z you can cruise on the motorway at part-throttle, press the power button and see that despite keeping your foot still the car is now picking up a little speed.

That works best in the early part of the throttle travel.

I have a 2003 car - it is possible that they changed the software later on as the BMW behaviour is the safer approach.

Ian

Bit OT, but do people still really care about 0-60 times? I saw VBH doing a road test of some 350hp Scoob the other day and she uttered the immortal line:

"With a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds its faster than a Porsche 911 Turbo" :headhurt:

No it isnt you stupid hussy, it means it gets its 200 odd less horsepower down very slightly slower than the Scoob does :headhurt::bangin:

I also have a JDM auto and the power button does change the throttle response (it's a fly-by-wire throttle after all).

Interesting it's easier to see in the Z than in my other car with a "software" throttle (an e39 M5). In the BMW, pressing the sport button while the throttle is part-way down will not change the mapping until you lift off the throttle and press again. In the 350Z you can cruise on the motorway at part-throttle, press the power button and see that despite keeping your foot still the car is now picking up a little speed.

That works best in the early part of the throttle travel.

I have a 2003 car - it is possible that they changed the software later on as the BMW behaviour is the safer approach.

Ian

Well my GF says I'm insensitive so this must prove it.. :lol::lol: I stand corrected.

Well, if you only use the bottom end of the throttle travel you might not notice the difference! :)

I first noticed when on the highway crawling out to Narita airport - traffic was moving OK but only at steady 50 mph or so across all the lanes. I was bored and playing with all the switches in my new car. Since I was used to the behaviour of the M5, the jump in speed was a bit of a shock! Luckily it's a pretty minor change when cruising and I had plenty of room between me and the car in front.

Ian