Trim removal guide?

MDMetal

Hey guys Ive got some work im doing and I picked up a trim removal tool http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_199487_langId_-1_categoryId_255216 Just wondering if theres any good guides on how to safely remove trim? I release every panel is different but there must be a good guide for what to use where, roughly how much pressure to use and how to tackle the 100's of different fastening devices!

As you say it depends on which trims you are removing.

There are guides for most of in the Guides section and the ICE section.

For removing the center console trim just look for a guide for stereo upgrades. Same for removed the trim behind the seats.

For removing the door cards look for ones relating to repairing faulty window motors

For boot linings, again look at the ICE guides

For rear strut bar cover have a look in the Guides section for people who have sprayed up their own.

Hope that helps

Think my door kick panels are different to the person who wrote the guide, be damned if I can get mine off!

Do I need to post up the pick of the chainsaw rifle again? :lol::lol:

:shrug:

Use this to remove them!

motivational_poster_chainsaw_by_konfan2-d2y8oh9.jpg

• 3 months later...

appreciate what the moderator is saying about looking for the guides relating to the trim, but many of them just say 'remove trim using a trim tool'.... which is no good for a complete newbie like me...

i have the same tool as the OP, but still have no idea how to use it...

i'm looking to do a rear brace replacement soon, and will use this guide, viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40984&hilit=+brace+cover+guide+rear , but so often things just say 'use a trim tool'...

even in this guide the guy breaks his trim!

i may also need to fit a bluetooth kit, so again, there is a handy guide on here, but it also says, very casually, Using a trim tool unclip the glove box floor panel,....

how? where do i start? is it basically like putting a knife in? if so, why not just use a wide knife?

sorry, but i am a massive newb at doing anything to my car myself, and i think it can be very easy for people to make assumptions about what people are actually able to do.

maybe the answer is - man up and try it... but with so many guides saying how easy it is to break the trim (and some of the people actually writing the guides end up breaking their trim!) i am, frankly, scared.

help appreciated.

I have removed just about every bit of trim possible to remove on a pre-facelift Zed and never used a trim remover tool. Just make sure that the trim is not cold, i.e. go for a drive with the heaters on if you have to do anything on a cold day, then just be careful and feel for where the trim is attached. The only other thing to be is brave, once you get some fingers underneath give it some welly in the right direction for the poppers and you will be ok, obviously be careful with thinner more delicate bits but for example to break a piece of trim around the rear strut you would have to be really ham fisted :surrender:

I have removed just about every bit of trim possible to remove on a pre-facelift Zed and never used a trim remover tool. Just make sure that the trim is not cold, i.e. go for a drive with the heaters on if you have to do anything on a cold day, then just be careful and feel for where the trim is attached. The only other thing to be is brave, once you get some fingers underneath give it some welly in the right direction for the poppers and you will be ok, obviously be careful with thinner more delicate bits but for example to break a piece of trim around the rear strut you would have to be really ham fisted :surrender:

i'm sure you are right. i'll give it a go.

cue me with bits of car on the floor and tears in my eyes...