Swapping Rears to Fronts

jumping350

Not wishing to be the H&S freak, but if you aint ever driven a RWD car without traction control, then I can't stress enough that you should not be experimenting with it when you have mis-matched tyre set up with narrow tyres on the back, and with wet/slippy roads.

You would have to be fecking mental in IMO to do this regardless of your experience in the current weather conditions.

But hey, it's your Zed, your insurance, and your life. Oh, and that poor fecker you run over when you lose control off a roundabout and mount the pavement. :thumbs:

im not going to do it but my rotas would still be on the rear of the car just the oems rear on the front..still sounds dodgy though and i know the TCS is a pain when it comes to this stuff :lol:

Just out of interest if i swapped them over one wheel at a time but for the correct original oem 17 one would that cause it to play up also??

I just re read that sentence and ima numpoty that wouldnt be a problem cause the rolling radius would still be the same!!this always confuses me :wacko:

Not wishing to be the H&S freak, but if you aint ever driven a RWD car without traction control, then I can't stress enough that you should not be experimenting with it when you have mis-matched tyre set up with narrow tyres on the back, and with wet/slippy roads.

You would have to be fecking mental in IMO to do this regardless of your experience in the current weather conditions.

But hey, it's your Zed, your insurance, and your life. Oh, and that poor fecker you run over when you lose control off a roundabout and mount the pavement. :thumbs:

I don't know about having miss matched tyres as badly as that but I drove through winter 2010/2011 with no TCS or ABS and I didn't fly off the roads in a fireball...

I had never driven a RWD without traction control but I just did my commute to work sensibly and that was in all weathers, wet, icy even light snow until I had the chance to get to Abbey and sort things out.

And before anyone says I am stupid if I had felt even slightly uncomfortable or unsafe I wouldn't have risked it for a second.

What if I had a blow out and had to use my spacesaver, would I be fecking mental to drive home? I am pretty sure the space saver isnt 245/45/18 ?

I'm not after starting an argument I just think it is a bit of an over reaction that's all :thumbs:

I was just being devils advocate Dave, and making the OP think of possible consequences :thumbs:

And quite right too :thumbs:

Like I said I don't know how bad it would be running different wheels / tyres etc as I am no expert and never been foolish enough to try it... also I always thought people who posted about turning of traction control to get a proper 'feel' of the car were complete knobs but I have to say when mine was faulty the car felt great :wacko:

I remember saying to Mark at Abbey that although the TCS/ABS and slip lights were on I had been driving the car for over a month and it felt fine so maybe it was faulty lights as the traction control MUST be working...

He took the car for a 5 minute drive and told me with a huge grin that I had been driving with NO aids for definite :scare::drive1:drive1

I think as Dave says, if you drive in a sensible fashion, with the thought that your car is not at its most stable due to completely miss matched wheels and tyres, you will probably be ok.

Personally, if you have a set of OEM wheels, just put all four on, it will only take you 20 minutes at most to swap them ALL over :thumbs:

I think as Dave says, if you drive in a sensible fashion, with the thought that your car is not at its most stable due to completely miss matched wheels and tyres, you will probably be ok.

Personally, if you have a set of OEM wheels, just put all four on, it will only take you 20 minutes at most to swap them ALL over :thumbs:

Yeah il prob have to just do that, 2 of the oems are at gf so will have to trek them back somehow

just dont have a whole day to invest in doing all four at once