To service or not to service?

pcw1982

Hi guys,

I have an 05 roadster it has been serviced every year but I think only minor services as I don't do many miles.

I have done approx 2,500 each year for the last 3 years so not a lot.

Just spoken with my local Nissan garage who said I should have the spark plugs changed at a cost of £95+VAT+labour taking the basic service up to £320 :angry:

Is it worth getting serviced at all as I do so few miles, or if it is, presumably sparks are something I could do quite easily myself?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers

Pete

Even if your not doing the mileage you really ought to get your brake and clutch fluid changed as they deteriorate with age.

+1

I also do 2.5k a year and just have a P3 every 2 years. Modern oils don't break down, shear or sludge in the same way they used to so changing it every year at 2.5k won't make any difference to the engine life. The only exceptions to this would be if you lived in somewhere like Canada and used a thin winter oil, then you must change it in the summer because the oil could possibly shear and fail to provide sufficient lubrication to the engine. BTW, this is one of the reasons why hire care companies will not allow you take your car into Death Valley in June, July or August.

Brake and Clutch fluid absorb water over time, those that are left standing tend to absorb more, so should be changed every couple of years at most.

Pete

I just had a P2 service on mine today at Nissan, Norwich. Service, alternator and what ever the other belt was changed and MOT which came to £365.

They also said my plugs needed doing but want £195 for it!!! My back box is starting to blow as well which they wanted £400 for and front pads will be due this side of summer.

There's no way on earth they're doing any work at those prices so I will have to have a search around when money allows in the next month or two :(

I just had a P2 service on mine today at Nissan, Norwich. Service, alternator and what ever the other belt was changed and MOT which came to £365.

They also said my plugs needed doing but want £195 for it!!! My back box is starting to blow as well which they wanted £400 for and front pads will be due this side of summer.

There's no way on earth they're doing any work at those prices so I will have to have a search around when money allows in the next month or two :(

s1xtyn1n3 I wouldn't ever consider going to the stealers...if you're after a recommendation in Norwich you should try 'Autotest'. They're based on Hurricane way, off Fifers Lane on the Norwich airport estate (the road that goes off at a vertical from the Nissan garage!!! As you turn onto Hurrican way, follow the road round past Heatrae Sadia, past the cafe, keep following the road and don't turn off, go past Mercedes vans on your left and Autotest is situated on your right hand side just on the corner of a junction that has trees lining its verge.

David the Scot who runs the place is a legend and always helps me out at the drop of a hat and squeezes me in...just this morning my Zed started to feel a little sluggish and I popped in....only calling on the way to see if he could fit me in. Same thing with mine as always and that's the heavy usage of oil every 5k miles. Nothing wrong it seems, my Zed just loves the black stuff :lol: .

Another member on here 'Tobys' also takes his Zed to Autotest so they're used to servicing these motors and has the scheduling required saved for reference purposes. If you do give David a call or pop in, just tell him you were recommended by Greg!

Hope this helps mate.

Good to know! I don't mind Nissan doing the service too much as long as it is just the service they are doing. But they are way too expensive for repairs so I shall certainly look into Autotest for any work I need during the year. Sparks need doing soon so there's something already :)