Pop off

spursmaddave

Talking to doogyrev last week about how surprised he was with the difference when he took his Pop Charger off prompted me to swap mine back over.

The sound is amazing but now its cold with windows up and heater on I thought I might as well put the stock box back on.

This is my 2nd Pop Charger and I have had lets say a few intake and exhaust combos so I knew it made a difference but I had forgotten quite how much. Swapped them over and went for a quick drive and even in the cold and wet I noticed a decent increase in response!

course it will, any open air filter/induction system is just gonna be soaking that heat up all day long

the only induction systems to even consider for performance are enclosed.

otherwise you are just going for the sound - which is fine if ya after that!

nothing like a cold foggy morning with all the freezing dense air for some throttle response

I took off my k&n to get a hole sorted, popped on the standard airbox (with VS mod) and the sound it gives now is amazing, it's all exhaust note which i like. Totally different sound from the k&n, more refined even. As much as i loved the sound the K&N gave i don't know if i'll put it back on now. Time shall tell

the problem is alot of cai's show heat soak on a dyno due to not having simulated outside air flow. I have the nismo r-tune induction kit and would never take it regardless. Heat soak only happens when stationary due to the air flow over the engine. ... short ram intake kits carry more heat soak as the sit towards the rear of the engine. Mines sits right down the front pinned against the air hole

I have seen photos of dyno stands and usually they have an enormous fan in front of them - I am assuming that Abbey and the like have that? Otherwise like you say Neil they will just get hot inside a building with no airflow through the front and return heat soaked bhp numbers which are not reflective of on the road performance...

the problem is alot of cai's show heat soak on a dyno due to not having simulated outside air flow.

+1

When I had my old 350z dyno'd at Eurospec2000 a few years back mine heatsoaked massively. Monitoring on OBDII, intake temps on the way there were about 20C, obviously rising sharply when stationary but then going back down again within about 30 sec of moving again. When on the dyno the temps were well up there, somewhere around 30-40C IIRC :scare: So nothing like they were on the road. So I decided to leave mine on purely for the sound. I never got to put the standard box back on again before I sold it, so cant tell what the difference would have been, but I'm guessing it would only be from a standstill when a bit of heatsoak would have kicked in.

Mine felt better all of the time even when having driven for quite a few miles on a major A road. I had to fit the standard air box for the Auto express photo shoot which was 38 miles from my house and i noticed the engine was much more responsive driving there and driving back, hence the pop charger never saw light of day again. I just ended up fitting a K&N panel filter to the airbox. :)

ive had a K&N since i bought the car so cant compare...is there a notticable differnce when you swap the k&n over??would you get heat soak even in the carbon housing??i do have stock box wondering whether its worth swapping over

looks like some cable hacking has gone on to get it in ...or could just stick it in sport 7 and smile

Am having an uprev with a whole host of other mods on thursday - one i did have which I removed and sold was a velocity stack airbox with cosworth filter - have an enclosed stillen cone now wonder how much that will knock off the numbers...again depends if there is a fan on blowing in hot air!

Am having an uprev with a whole host of other mods on thursday - one i did have which I removed and sold was a velocity stack airbox with cosworth filter - have an enclosed stillen cone now wonder how much that will knock off the numbers...again depends if there is a fan on blowing in hot air!

I would have kept the standard air box to be honest, then you have the choice, noise or response...

We shall see my friend! Stillen intakes have a velocity stack too ;)

Expect to lose a couple of horses, but, for the noise, to lose a couple of bhp, everytime!

Yeah i know exactly what you mean, everytime i take the pop charger off i notice the difference though.... but i still put it back on in the nice weather :lol: