Abbey to rescue with soft top that wouldn't close

NeilMH

My grateful thanks to Scott and Charlie at Abbey. The reason I am so pleased is:

1. Roof had been playing up from time to time but chose to pack up once the weather deteriorated and I hadn't got a garage.

2. Abbey agreed to take it immediately to get it under cover.

3. Brainpower rather than the contents of my wallet were used to solve the problem

- they listened to the various symptoms I had noticed

- repeated testing/analysis to establish a pattern

- narrowed down the problem

- examined the faulty component and its mounting in detail rather than binning it

- found a way round the issue by repositioning and securing the faulty item

4. The result of this was just 2 hours labour to pay for (not the replacement of umpteen switches or sensors)

5. Plus....the roof works

6. Plus friendly service, lifts to and from station.

Thanks once again to Abbey Motorsport.

:clap:

Right .... now I'm back home I can give a proper answer - not a smartphone without my glasses on one!

The symptoms were:

1. When the roof appeared to have successfully opened and the roof compartment appeared to be successfully closed the roof dash light dash remained on (this would happen from time to time).

2. When closing the roof would go through approx 3/4 of the closing procedure then stop with the back part of the roof (with the rear window in it - at 90 degrees to the ground - affectively upside down).

3. Occasionally it would work!

4. It appeared at one stage that the reason it wasn't shutting was because the passenger side headrest appeared to be catching against the lower part of the roof as the seat moved - this was a red herring.

The part was the the NS storage catch switch - which was sticking.

Hope this helps.

I am not convinced that I would have found this out anything like as quickly as they did (or at all).

The guys were talking about this I think on thursday as I had my service done :snack:

If, with their help, I get through the next 74,000 miles as well as you have done Mr SMD, I will be very happy.

Sometime I might even get something modified - I am plan heavy but cash light at present!