Instrument Cluster Replaced = Mileage now 0. Fix?

lilwashu

Nissan have just replaced the instrument cluster in my 2008 Z to cure a very bouncy rev counter (to my surprise this has worked). As a result the odometer now reads 0 when the car has done 35000 miles - I have a record of the mileage before the change on the work document but this is a bit annoying in terms of knowing when services are due etc. Is it possible to reset the odometer back to what it should be?

It is definitely only on the clocks, I'll have a google for you as I had to send my RX-7 speedo off after it failed and I wanted the mileage correcting.... annoyingly I did have to send the old and the new units together though but if you've got that piece of paper you should be fine.... let me look for you!

If Nissan did the replacement then I'd agree with Lexx, they should have a way of moving it onto what it should be. Sounds like they did half a job to me!

This seems to be standard of most car dealerships nowadays!

dealers up north seem to get slated, never heard of anything like it!!!

Hya,

the issue on your old one was the motor on the rear of the needle giving up. These are either cross coils or stepper motors depending on the year built. The stepper motors have small plastic gears which can break very easily if a small piece of contamination got in. As for the cross coils they have silicon inside, if this dries out then the gears become jumpy and eventually stop moving. Sometimes if the speedo cluster is removed and not stood right the silicone runs out and the same result happens.

As for the mileage, yes it is 100% stored in the EEPROM data on the cluster, nothing at all to do with the ECU. Some dealerships cannot do this, they simpley dont have the equipment, but they should sort it out for you. It is a very costly thing to do at home as you need the original EEPROM data, canalyser software, an EEPROM writer, and the technical skills to use the software.

Alternatively if they have not sent the defective meter back under warranty/investigation, get them to swap the motors out. You have to be very careful in removing all the parts but it is standard practice in the assembly line in the factory to replace motors!!!!

Hope they do something for you!!

Hya,

the issue on your old one was the motor on the rear of the needle giving up. These are either cross coils or stepper motors depending on the year built. The stepper motors have small plastic gears which can break very easily if a small piece of contamination got in. As for the cross coils they have silicon inside, if this dries out then the gears become jumpy and eventually stop moving. Sometimes if the speedo cluster is removed and not stood right the silicone runs out and the same result happens.

As for the mileage, yes it is 100% stored in the EEPROM data on the cluster, nothing at all to do with the ECU. Some dealerships cannot do this, they simpley dont have the equipment, but they should sort it out for you. It is a very costly thing to do at home as you need the original EEPROM data, canalyser software, an EEPROM writer, and the technical skills to use the software.

Alternatively if they have not sent the defective meter back under warranty/investigation, get them to swap the motors out. You have to be very careful in removing all the parts but it is standard practice in the assembly line in the factory to replace motors!!!!

Hope they do something for you!!

Great post :clap:

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Old topic -- But you reprogram the mileage on the 350Z with something like a USA Prog device. They cost $2500-$5000 for the device (hand held). It plugs into the back of the cluster and takes about 2-3 minutes to change. You literally let it read the EEPROM, then you input whatever mileage (or km's) you want.. press "OK" .. and it writes it. Done.

Some, most? Nissan dealerships won't have this device, but they can certainly outsource it.. It's $50-$100 to have someone else do this for you that has the device. Cost is obviously due to price of the device not because it's difficult. It's VERY easy to operate.