Car not starting. Advice appreciated

Topcat

So last week I took my zed to be fitted for a new n-2 bumper and spoiler, pictures to follow when I get my camera working.

Once picked up and driving home I realised the clock time had changed drastically so presumed the battery had died while standing for a week. Followed by a few days fine driving. Come Sunday morning with a heavy layer of ice, car started fine, drove home, off to bed. Woke up for work around 8 hours later and zed's dead.

Voltometer is showing around 9. And when turning the key the engine won't crank. Headlights and all electrics working. does this sound likely to be a simple new battery job or maybe something more sinister?

not tried jump starting as had a bad expensive experience in the past.

Yet to hear back from the bodyshop to find out exactly the circumstances.

Any help much appreciated, cheers tom.

Also it's an 04 UK gt model.

absolutely no chance with 9 volts. :thumbdown:

i would charge it up first, a very slow charge at 2 amps max over night. see how that goes. if the battery has been discharged, it takes AGES for it to become fully operational with just normal driving. the crank surge is very high on the battery needs to be in optimum capacity to turns the heavy lump over. plus being cold also does not help as all of the lubricants are colder and provide higher resistance on the moving parts than if it were warmer outside.

Should it not be at least trying to kick in to life with 9 volts? There is just a slight whurring noise when turning the key. Excuse my ignorance, I have very little knowledge about electrics.

:bangin:

Not really. The 9v is measured with no current demand from the battery. If the batt is dead it will generally still show a decent voltage but if you take even 1A from it you would probably see the displayed voltage drop. I would have thought you should be able to take grat chunks of current from a good batt with not much drop in displayed voltage

NEW BATTERY.