EML light triggered (first frosty morning)

HassanZ

Hi all,

Today was the first morning I had to tackle a frosty windscreen, the temperature was at 1 degrees Celsius.

I haven't driven the car since Friday as I've had a really bad cold.

Once I switched the car on, the airbag warning light triggered (this happens once every few weeks/months which I just reset using the ignition procedure).

After about 5 minutes of driving, I noticed the EML light pop up on the dash. I've only had this come on due to the HFCs previously which I sorted by purchasing a pair of lamda spacers from Alex.

Just thought I would see what people's suggestions were until I get the code/s read - I'm very worried!!

Could it be to do with the car idling higher due to the colder winter conditions, causing the lamda sensors to throw up an error due to the HFCs?

Many thanks for all your input guys!

Hassan

First bad frost you say? Ah, sounds like the guffinsprocket has come away from the discombobulator which leads to a complete and severe enzyme imbalance within the coating of the cylinder walls, so your engine is about to explode and/or start breeding fluffy kittens.

Read the code. The guide is on here etc. Does the car feel abnormal? If not, then there's probably nothing major wrong.

First bad frost you say? Ah, sounds like the guffinsprocket has come away from the discombobulator which leads to a complete and severe enzyme imbalance within the coating of the cylinder walls, so your engine is about to explode and/or start breeding fluffy kittens.

Read the code. The guide is on here etc. Does the car feel abnormal? If not, then there's probably nothing major wrong.

I concur on both accounts. :lol::lol::lol:

Get the codes read before you convince yourself the car is going to blow up.

:wacko: You lost me there! :lol:

The car is driving normally as far as I know. My daily commute to work is very short so I didn't drive it enough to realise if there was actually something wrong. The car did respond as normal though...

how long ago did you last throw the code?maybe because the code came up once its stored in the ECU?? and will keep coming up and needs to be cleared?? may not be, just this happened on one of my other cars and i went through same worry

The last time it threw up an EML code pointing towards the cats was the last time I went on the motorway 2/3 months ago. After that Andy at CS fitted Alex's lamda spacers for me and it hasn't come on since.

Ironically I went on the motorway on Thursday (first time since the last EML light trigger) but it didn't come on then. I drove it briefly on Friday and no EML came on then either. The EML triggered about 5/10 minutes into my journey this morning after the car had sat on the drive for 2 days.

its because the O2 spacers arent a 100% guarenteed fix 100% of the time

they dont work like that

but in all honesty - no1 can answer the problem without the codes being read mate it could be 999,999,999 million different things

ok maybe not that much, but 99,999 things!

PS - not seen you on chat for ages bro whats going on!

Our new Zed has high flow cats fitted and is doing the same thing. It seems to be fine unless you are pottering around town, and then it will throw up the EML. A quick reset keeps it at bay for a while though!

I dont think its anything to worry about, it seems to drive perfectly normal! Just a bit fussy about the emissions obviously!

I did check the codes when it happened first and it threw up P0139 and P0159 which are both rear O2 sensors.

Ive just had my light come on for the first time since last winter too.... Perfectly normal and nothing really to worry about unless the car start running lumpy...

I haven't got Alex spacers fitted although i have some :wacko: but i am the Zed equivalent of Michael Flatley when it comes to pedal dancing :dance:

its because the O2 spacers arent a 100% guarenteed fix 100% of the time

they dont work like that

but in all honesty - no1 can answer the problem without the codes being read mate it could be 999,999,999 million different things

ok maybe not that much, but 99,999 things!

PS - not seen you on chat for ages bro whats going on!

Yes mate!! What's going on?? Sorry I haven't been on in a while, I am without an internet connection at home at the moment up until the 20th of this month. Currently waiting for my new supplier to connect me up!

Missing using the chatroom!! :lol::lol: My phone don't allow me to log on to it any more through my mobile internet? :wacko:

I'm still eating tonnes by the way! :lol:

Yeah that's true about the o2 spacers, I will need to get the codes read so I know for sure it is the o2 sensors. I will keep you updated mate...

I'll be back on chat soon ;):lol:

I had a similar issue last year when it got really cold ...

In my case ... the code that was stored was regarding the Heated O2 sensor.

I kept resetting it over the winter but it stopped happening once the weather got a bit warmer.

:thumbs:

Ohh!!! It happened to you too?!

How often did it used to trigger after resetting it?

Did you get your OBDII software working on your laptop by any chance? :blush:

In the end I bought a Western Digital 1TB My Passport Essentials SE portable hard drive from PC world for £89.99 by the way :thumbs:

I think you have probably answered your own question, HFC`s ----mixture enriched due to low temps ----higher emissions= EML ;)

I hope that is the case and not something more serious! :scare:

Our new Zed has high flow cats fitted and is doing the same thing. It seems to be fine unless you are pottering around town, and then it will throw up the EML. A quick reset keeps it at bay for a while though!

I dont think its anything to worry about, it seems to drive perfectly normal! Just a bit fussy about the emissions obviously!

I did check the codes when it happened first and it threw up P0139 and P0159 which are both rear O2 sensors.

Ah...that's ok then!! So it's not only me with this issue! I've always thought HFCs were popular due to the capabilities of avoiding the EML light triggering? That's the reason I purchased a HFC rather than a decat. So the spacers just reduces the possibility of the EML triggering...thought it would avoid it completely. Guess I was wrong :lol: Is there any way of avoiding the EML light triggering other than removing the HFCs or removing the dash bulb? :p Having an EML light come on on a regular basis will become quite annoying over time!

Ive just had my light come on for the first time since last winter too.... Perfectly normal and nothing really to worry about unless the car start running lumpy...

I haven't got Alex spacers fitted although i have some :wacko: but i am the Zed equivalent of Michael Flatley when it comes to pedal dancing :dance:

:lol::lol::lol: Alright for some, I am useless at it!! Narcotix did my pedal dancing for me the last time my EML light triggered!

It's a 2-man job ain't it? One does the pedal dancing and stop watch and one does the recording of the flashing EML code? Or am I just a typical man who can't multi-task? :lol: