Problem Gearbox

II485947

Hi guys

I currently have problems with my gearbox (2004) Gears 1 and 2 are hard to select and in general all gears are stiff, clunky and not smooth. All together the car is a nightmare to drive.

Has anyone had a problem gearbox with similar problem?

Finding it difficult to locate somewhere that car fix it or offer a reconditioned replacement gearbox.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

L

Hey there, fill out your details such as location and someone will be able to help...take a bit of time and stick in something in the welcome section as well. All good karma which will bring great dividends from the helpful people on here.

TGM in Fleet I hear are good, but then again no idea where you are :shrug:

Hi guys

I currently have problems with my gearbox (2004) Gears 1 and 2 are hard to select and in general all gears are stiff, clunky and not smooth. All together the car is a nightmare to drive.

Has anyone had a problem gearbox with similar problem?

Finding it difficult to locate somewhere that car fix it or offer a reconditioned replacement gearbox.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

L

As previous quoted, a transmission fluid change is best tried first.

Fresh genuine Nissan fluids and moly have had considerable success on this forum.

Genuine Nissan fluids and DC Moly in stock and good to go same/next day.

Alex. :)

^^^^+1, Also before you go changing the gearbox, get the clutch & slave cylinder looked at, If the Slave cylinder is failing then this could be your problem.

Good point Darren :thumbs:

Clutch slave cyls and fluids also in stock and good to go same next day:thumbs:

Alex :)

Not meaning to hijack someone else's thread but while on the subject of gearboxes I thought this may be a good place to ask? My car has problems selecting gears for the first 5 minutes of every day until presumably the gearbox oil has warmed. Is this considered normal for a Zed (I've only had her less than 2 weeks - she's a 57 plate 313hr engined car with 26k on the clock) or is it potentially a sign that something may be amiss?

The box works fine once warm, albeit with a heavier action than most and a fairly high clutch (I have considered both to be 350Z traits?) although 5th and 6th gear aren't always straightforward as they don't seem to be exactly where I would expect them to be (i.e as far to the right as the lever will travel) but rather slightly back towards 3rd and 4th (if that makes sense?) - they slot nicely provided you get the lever in the right plane. Could this be a problem with the gate maybe?

The previous owner (it's a 1 owner car) has only just had the dual mass flywheel replaced as it was making a noise which was traced to the flywheel but didn't replace the clutch as when the car was stripped down it was deemed to have loads of life left in it.

To complete the picture, there is a noise from 'under' the car which only lasts for about the first 15-20 seconds of a cold start, which may well be a noisy thrust bearing (I hear these too are quite common and not really cause for concern).

I appreciate that's quite a lot of points and questions in someone else's thread but maybe it might help the original poster too?

Al

Btw - I'm based in Cambs in case anyone wishes to suggest somewhere local who might help (If indeed I need help :) )

alzZed,

Sounds like the gear selector plate may require adjustment.

You will find it at the base of the gear lever and you will get access from inside the car. :thumbs:

This will have been disturbed when they were swopping out the fly.

Alex. :)

Thanks for that Alex, I'll give it a go tomorrow as long as its not raining or snowing. I had enough of the cold yesterday when I spent over 4 hours in a rented workshop installing a K&N Typhoon cold air induction kit and froze my proverbial nuts off :blink: (yeah I know that's slow but I'd never done one before and the car does have twin airboxes, so requires twice the number of parts fitting)

Sounds beautiful now though :band:

Cheers

Al

Cheaper than the stealers to, I had one off of Alex last year after similar problems.

What are the symptoms of the Slave cylinder going Darren?

When mine started failing it became difficult to select gears, especially 1st & reverse the cylinder was not extending the release fork fully, so not disengaging the clutch fully. Sometimes the pedal got stuck on the floor.

On the back of Alex's suggestion that my gear selector plate could well be out of alignment, I tried this morning in vain to unscrew the gear lever to gain access to the plate (someone mentioned elsewhere that it takes the strength of two grown men to achieve this, something I clearly don't possess), so I ended up driving down to my local Nissan dealership (Marshalls, Cambridge) to book the car in.

I spoke to a technician who to my slight concern suggested "you can't really put them back wrongly". I told him there were rather a lot of owners on the forum who'd disagree, having experienced just such an issue and particularly when having a clutch replaced.

I suppose my question is this: should I be trusting someone with my baby who clearly has little experience of such issues? On the other hand they are a well established dealership who sell a lot of GT-Rs and Zeds. It begs the question, if you can't trust them then who are you going to trust? :headhurt:

Ah okay Colin, thanks for this although the thought of taking a couple of wrenches to the gearlever assembly doesn't fill me with confidence :blink:

They said it would take an hour so my main concern isn't one of cost, more one of entrusting my car to someone who may only have as much experience as me of removing the gear lever assembly and adjusting the gear selector plate, which is nowt :)

You do not require the shift knob off, as you can work round about it :thumbs:

Alex - how so? I'm confused as to how you can get access to the plate without removing what's above it first, including the gear lever/knob?

Another part of the reason I decided to leave the procedure to Nissan is that not having attempted this before myself, I'm not sure how to align the gear selector plate anyway? In fact come to think of it I don't even know what the plate looks like, although I'm kinda hoping I'd know it when I see it :D

Having done all that and not sorted you have not mentioned whether the slave cylinder has been done and if Darren and Alex vvv have suggested that might be the issue it would be worth doing that before looking at an exchange box, I would have thought :shrug:

^^^^+1, Also before you go changing the gearbox, get the clutch & slave cylinder looked at, If the Slave cylinder is failing then this could be your problem.

Good point Darren :thumbs:

Clutch slave cyls and fluids also in stock and good to go same next day:thumbs:

Alex :)

I had some clutch/ gearbox issues with my movano van last year, spent a day dropping the gearbox to change the clutch to find the clutch was fine, turned out to be the fluid had gone off & the slave cylinder was not operating fully, school boy error on my half, so would definitely change fluid & maybe the slave cylinder before clutch/gearbox

You do not require the shift knob off, as you can work round about it :thumbs:

Alex - how so? I'm confused as to how you can get access to the plate without removing what's above it first, including the gear lever/knob?

Another part of the reason I decided to leave the procedure to Nissan is that not having attempted this before myself, I'm not sure how to align the gear selector plate anyway? In fact come to think of it I don't even know what the plate looks like, although I'm kinda hoping I'd know it when I see it :D

I am assuming this is the plate under the rubber/fluff etc under the gear gaiter? If so it is a doddle and even a complete spanner incompetent like myself managed it in about 15 mins. You dont need to take the gear knob off as Alex said (although I did in any case) you can just pop and lift everything (plastic, gaiter, rubber, fluff etc) and it will be there under it all - you just need to then loosen the bolts and put the car into 5th and move the plate alongside it. then the same for 6th.

If its not that, then slap me and tell me to sod off. If it is, just wanted to reassure you it really should be something you can do at home!

Okay thanks coldel, the advice on where to find the plate and how to align it makes me feel I should try it myself. I wouldn't consider myself 'handy with the spanners' but am prepared to have a go. That way at least if you're unfortunate enough to break anything, you know exactly what parts to buy to put things right :thumbs:

Cheers

Al