Help! grounded front spoiler !

rickoshay

I am fed up grounding front spoilers on sports cars!

Its the blasted kurb stones in car parks- they are just the wrong height!

Driving a Qasqai lent to me today by Westover gave me an idea- why not fit a reversing camera system but fit the camera to the front number plate ( or somewhere ).

Rather than attach the 12v camera to the reversing lights, I could attach it to a 12v feed at the front.

Presumably I could attach it directly to the battery but then the camera will be on 24/7.

Any helpful comments appreciated:

1. Any reason why not!?

2. Which electrical feed would be the best/easiest.

I will probably get a kit from Maplins, not the cheapest but at least some after sales support and easier for refunds!

Whilst on the topic, Halfords have just the cameras on sale for £30.

Just a few left in store.

But the nearest store to me in Bournemouth is Andover!

No offence, but thats not really helpful!

It takes time ( well it takes me time ) to get to know where the front and back of the car is and an error of an inch can make the difference between no damage and damage.

If parking was that easy, then there would be no need for parking sensors and cameras.

I have access to drive 3 cars and they are all very different!

Personally I'd install a reverse camera and then reverse into spaces. In fact thats what I do in my 370z! :thumbs:

Take the power for the rear camera from the reversing light.

Or spend the same time as above practicing where the limits of the car are against a cone ;)

I would reverse too but often ( like Yesterday, ) someone is doing 30 mph in the car park and getting right up your bum so reversing is out of the question- it was my second attempt to park- the first time I was trying to park someone suddenly came out of nowhere driving the wrong way round the car park!

Why can some people not follow the rules/signs when they are in car parks!

But thats another debate too!!

I would reverse too but often ( like Yesterday, ) someone is doing 30 mph in the car park and getting right up your bum so reversing is out of the question

This is EXACTLY when I do my old lady impression and take AGES to park! You see them in your mirror going :rant::rant::rant::angry::angry::angry: and then you smile and wave to say thank you.

Yes, my life is that sad that I take pleasure from that!

Do you have an HU with camera input or will you use a separate monitor?

I'm thinking of getting one from Maplin- they have 2, the more expensive one has a 3.5" screen with USB input for ipad etc.

I seem to find drivers are more disrespectful with nice sports cars like ours- it brings their more aggressive nature to the front, normally wide boys who must overtake you what ever it takes or drive up you bum to get a reaction.

When I drive the C3 Picasso, they just ignore me!

I'm thinking of getting one from Maplin- they have 2, the more expensive one has a 3.5" screen with USB input for ipad etc.

I seem to find drivers are more disrespectful with nice sports cars like ours- it brings their more aggressive nature to the front, normally wide boys who must overtake you what ever it takes or drive up you bum to get a reaction.

When I drive the C3 Picasso, they just ignore me!

I haven't found that to be honest.....

You got links to the systems you're looking at?

I'm thinking of adding a camera to my Nissan Navara, it's a BIG car to reverse and whole cars can disappear behind it!! I can utilise the built in screen via a 'navtv' adaptor and use Nissan (or aftermarket) cameras etc. It looks a good solution but I can take a look elsewhere.

I see no issue in putting a forward facing cam in and a reverse if so desired.

An ignition live via a relay will stop it being on 24/7 (as mentioned above) all you need then is screen.

Which you seem to have found.

Buster has a reversing cam on his and is round the Zed shed most Saturday afternoons )or Tuesday nights) drop either of us a PM and pop over can't be more than a 10 minute drive see what you think. :thumbs:

Stop worrying about people up your rear end lol.

Going head first into a space will eventually result in disaster a the swing needed is alot due to the length of the nose. I always reverse. If people are up your arse. Slow down, stop, reverse lights on and wait till they move. Worry over. My car will catch the smallest kerbs and I've yet to do it in a space.

Take your time and don't panic because of other people. I do the same as stew, or if they don't acknowledge the reverse light I simply plant the foot to board and create some flames for a visual spectacle. They do eventually move and realise what your trying to do.

Just chilax and enjoy the experience :lol:

No offence, but thats not really helpful!

It takes time ( well it takes me time ) to get to know where the front and back of the car is and an error of an inch can make the difference between no damage and damage.

If parking was that easy, then there would be no need for parking sensors and cameras.

I have access to drive 3 cars and they are all very different!

Parking really is that easy. It isn't hard to judge the front of the car at all, OK I admit the rear on the 350Z initially takes a bit of getting used to because the rear visibility is poor but there should be no reason you ever scrape the front splitter from misjudgement ;) .

Parking sensors and especially cameras are just a novelty there is "no need"

I'm not very good at links but if you go to Maplin site, and do a search "reversing camera", you will find the 2 systems available.

Both were available at the Bournemouth shop although there seems no stock of the more expensive system available for online delivery.

The more expensive one has a larger display screen and infra red for night time.

It also has USB connectivity for say an ipod or mp3 player.