Laptop advice please...

Wasso

It's time to get a new laptop. Now, because I don't want to spend an utter fortune on the 'best' laptop on the market, my budget stems between £500-750. 

Main Requirements

Photoshop manipulation of photos

A very small amount of video editing

So.... Do I go for a second hand mac or a laptop, again not bothered about used. If going used I can get some decent quality what should I be going for?

I probably haven't given a great deal of info but processing speed is a must. I edit a large number of photos and want to do it quickly and efficiently.

So recommend me some hardware :thumbs:

If your not going for a Mac have a look on the Dell website some good deals to be had.

Another option might be look at buying the laptop via Quidco or some cash back site like that, could save you.

I've got a Sony Vaio not a cheap laptop but would say its been well worth the money.

Also agree, good anti-virus and keep up with the windows updates is important.

I've got a Sony Vaio not a cheap laptop but would say its been well worth the money.

Exactly... why waste your money on updates from Microsoft and Anti-virus software?

Save that money and buy a Mac... NO viruses!!! B)

Client just got one of these he's impressed with it :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/257792-acer-trave ... -tz903-154

A list to look down http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/ca ... tel-Core-i

they have the intel chip - supposedly good for graphics but slightly more expensive than the AMD chipped ones.

a Mac would be good for graphics but I know nothing about them so can't point you at any :blush:

You'd probably need to upgrade the Ram to 4gb, shouldn't be more than £40 from Crucial Memory :thumbs:

I probably haven't given a great deal of info but processing speed is a must. I edit a large number of photos and want to do it quickly and efficiently.

That's what Mac's were DESIGNED for ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-mac-lap ... 0717883211

Client just got one of these he's impressed with it :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/257792-acer-trave ... -tz903-154

A list to look down http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/ca ... tel-Core-i

they have the intel chip - supposedly good for graphics but slightly more expensive than the AMD chipped ones.

a Mac would be good for graphics but I know nothing about them so can't point you at any :blush:

I have a slightly different version of the acer one. The motherboard fried one of the 2gb ram chips. Apart from that it's has been flawless. Had it about 3 years now and still working like a champion.

Exactly... why waste your money on updates from Microsoft and Anti-virus software?

You sure about that? Ok technically not a virus but a trojan ;)

Microsoft windows updates are free so you wont be wasting money either. My advice would be too steer clear of Dell though. :)

My advice would be too steer clear of Dell though. :)

+100,000 ... Steer WELL clear of Dell.

Acer are a good basic start if you don;t want to shell out loads of cash.

Yes, it's a trojan, not a virus... although I get your point. :)

Even so, if you are daft enough to download and install software you don't know/trust, then you should stick with a PC and buy anti-virus software. :lol:

Ok, here's my 2p worth, I agree with Beavis, steer clear of Dell, had a company laptop some time ago and it was nothing but trouble :thumbdown::thumbdown: Also agree with Neil, in the past I've also had two Acer laptops and both were absolutely trouble free :thumbs:

I switched to Mac about 4 years ago and have a Mac Book Pro and an iMac, both have been absolutely fine, did upgrade Ram on both machines . If you are going to switch to Mac do some research on software that you currently use to make sure it's compatible. I run Quick Books and they don't make a UK Mac version so I have to run Windows XP pro via Parallels, it's not a big deal though.

The cynic in me says that the more popular Macs become the more likely they are to be attacked so anti virus (available now) might be worth considering in the future.

PM or text me if you want more info.

Microsoft windows updates are free so you wont be wasting money either. My advice would be too steer clear of Dell though. :)

Thanks guys helpful :thumbs:

I've had a Dell Inspiron 9300 with a super wide 19" screen (yes it's a big laptop) for coming on 6 years now and it's performed flawlessly until now, as the screen now has coloured lines going vertically down the screen. So in all fairness I could just fix the screen and shove some more RAM in, but some people have said move to MAC. The inspiron I have is running 2ghz and 1gig if RAM, so back in the day 6 years ago this was a beefy laptop, so if I did a system clean, upgrade the ram and fix the screen it could come out cheaper :shrug:

I am slightly tempted to keep this one as it has 6 USB connections, FireWire, memory card reader, DVD drive, updated graphics card and so on. So what do you think? Scrap this one or repair??

Ok, here's my 2p worth, I agree with Beavis, steer clear of Dell, had a company laptop some time ago and it was nothing but trouble :thumbdown::thumbdown:

I much prefer building my own pc's infact just building my new one now B) But i need a laptop for my poker habit, so four years ago i got a top of the range Dell XPS M1710, it worked fine for 3 years and then the dreaded graphics card overheat problem started that seems very common with this model :dry:

It used to be a work laptop, well me and the MD agreed that if I pay 50% of the laptop cost I can keep it after 3 years. So I used it as a work and home laptop. Now all it does is wander from upstairs to downstairs, but don't want a fixed PC as they hurt your legs when you have the tower, monitor and keyboard sat on your legs when outside, they're not very portable :lol:

So we'd for sure need a laptop.

I might ask and find out what repair costs are like :thumbs:

How stange,just been looking at laptops for a mate 15 mins ago.

£399 worth a look.John Lewis give a 2 year guarantee as well.

http://www.johnlewis.com/231395875/Product.aspx

I was ready to slate anything Windows based...

But I had LOADS of Tosh Sats when I worked at an old workplace and I loved them. :#1:

Windows 7? oh dear... makes me feel ill :thumbdown: Stick a copy of XP on it and you will be fine :lol:

Well, I may as well add my 2 pence...

1. Min 4gb ram. If you're running Windows7, that alone will consume 1-1.5GB Ram

2. Personally, I'd stick with Intel over AMD. I haven't had an AMD laptop in several years but if memory serves me correctly, it used to overheat a lot!

3. Dell laptops - had 4 over the last 3 years from work. Good machines, but fan's get very hot if not left on a desk with ventilation.

4. If going for Intel, make sure you get a Sandy Bridge chip and not the older ones (hence you will find some laptops cheaper so be wary of this). Useful link which explains how to identify a Sandy Bridge http://forwardthinking.pcmag.com/chips/282413-do-you-have-a-sandy-bridge-chip-how-to-tell

Nij

Windows 7? oh dear... makes me feel ill :thumbdown: Stick a copy of XP on it and you will be fine :lol:

What's so bad about Win7? I use it both at work and at home and suffer no problems, far better than Vista.

I heard 7 was a little better than Vista (Isn't 7 based on XP anyway?)

XP Pro... the ONLY decent windows OS ... but Ian, you should STILL buy a Mac :lol:

What's so bad about Win7? I use it both at work and at home and suffer no problems, far better than Vista.

I heard 7 was a little better than Vista (Isn't 7 based on XP anyway?)

XP Pro... the ONLY decent windows OS ... but Ian, you should STILL buy a Mac :lol:

Windows 7 is the best Microsoft operating system by far to date and is much better than Vista :)