Putting the Zed away for winter... any tips?

MidnightRacer

Its come to that time that my car goes away over the winter period and this will be the first time for the zed..

I plan to start and run it up to temperature every couple of weeks to keep things moving but it will generally remain under a cover in the garage.

bar the usual things is there anything particular to the zed I should look out for?

Cheers

Kev

Thats mental, some of the photos look like toy cars!

Unfortunately I am not blessed with a garage so my car sits outside on the road...might invest in a cover. That said, how long do you need to put it away for? If its not snowing, no ones gritting, so apart from the ground being wet (which is was throughout August) does the Zed disappear for months or literally a couple of weeks...

Thats mental, some of the photos look like toy cars!

Unfortunately I am not blessed with a garage so my car sits outside on the road...might invest in a cover. That said, how long do you need to put it away for? If its not snowing, no ones gritting, so apart from the ground being wet (which is was throughout August) does the Zed disappear for months or literally a couple of weeks...

My old man had one for his old motor.

ohhh! Beware of covers....

If they are touching the car and there is any movement, they can scratch.... even just a little ripple in the cover from the wind over a 2-3 day period can scratch your paint. :wacko:

Unfortunately living anywhere close to London or in it denies you the opportunity of a driveway or garage if you want to live anywhere near civilisation. Unless of course you can afford £2k a month to throw at some rent or mortgage :scare:

Yes it parks on the road, and it will over winter. It is a quiet dead ended side road though which I doubt a gritter will come anywhere near - although I will check with the council come any snow.

I guess though my point was, reading about people putting cars away soon, have you looked out the window? B) the sun is out, no sign of snow for some time, ok it will rain but it does that all year round, gritters only come out for like a couple of weeks out the year. Had my brand new Scirocco over winter in Putney near a main road and didnt get anything on it - it was fine, and that was black as well and would have shown up and issues.

I stick a trickle charger on mine all winter to make sure the battery doesn't drain. :thumbs:

Is it not better to just disconnect it, then charge it in the summer?

No! More likely to damage the battery if left for long periods without charge. I have just put mine away for winter and this will be the fifth time of doing so. Always keep the battery ticking over with a battery conditioner/charger.

Got mine garaged and covered with a car cover. Also slightly over inflate the tyres as well when standing for long periods on the same spot. Never had any problems before whenever i have garaged the car for winter. :)

To be honest its a little bit earlier than usual but mainly due to the tax expiring at the end of October. I normally run things until it gets a bit worse but there isn't any point taxing it again for a month this year when its only a Sunday car.

I have storage for 2 cars over winter and don't "have" to use the Zed so its going to stay off the road till next year. The only killer is paying £700 a year insurance for 6 months driving this year!

my cars not hibernating this winter. Again, in london there was only maybe a week last year that was impossible to drive a heavy RWD car. No point in London and as lovely as my car is it's not exactly showroom condition worth tens of thousands of pounds that will be wiped off if it stays out and used over winter :shrug:

my cars not hibernating this winter. Again, in london there was only maybe a week last year that was impossible to drive a heavy RWD car. No point in London and as lovely as my car is it's not exactly showroom condition worth tens of thousands of pounds that will be wiped off if it stays out and used over winter :shrug:

Same here, I have driven through the last 2 winters no problem at all :thumbs:

wow wish i could put the zed away but like some others i am a londoner this will be my third winter of having the zed out my mates think im mad il go out when others wont even dare to take there scoobys out!!Unfortunately due to work i dont have a choice but to take it!!spent 4 hours last year edging my car down a hill covered in snow where the gritters miscommunicated and took the road closed sign down!!driving past a whole pile up of brand new st's and bmw's and all the neighbours (one of which bought me a cup of tea during my trauma!the whole road was guiding me down :lol: ) those cars have lost traction and slid into the back of parked cars was bad thought i would be next!

Believe it or not survived two bad snowy winters and stacked my car in the rain in february!!

Ive become a much better driver for driving in the winter i think scary but learn how your car reacts when it really goes!!brakes and tyres take a pounding

speaking of which everyone talks about smaller winter wheels,shall i keep the rotas on with wide tyres on which has never put my traction control on in a year in any weather (not been in snow)or go switch my 17 jdms (Bridgetones)back on which can bring my TCS in on a 28 degree sunny day??????

Dont want to be gritted! park down a side road (they wont go down it) put shuvvel in boot...id rather dig the zed out than clean grit off without scratching like in that pic :scare: