Extreme toe out after suspension arms replaced.

goodatcrashing

Hi all,

The story: I had a bit of slow speed contact with the offside rear wheel and a kerb one wet evening. This bent the toe and camber arms. :bang:

The solution: Replacement rear suspension arms were sourced off another 05 car and fitted no problem (mine is a 53). The parts replaced include; Front lower link (camber arm), Rear lower link (spring cup) and Radius rod (toe arm). I checked the dimensions of the new parts were the same as the originals. The only mistake made during the installation was loosening the rear subframe bolt (the one that goes through the rear member stay) by accident but tightened it back up after realising. Once all these were fitted, I dropped the car back on the ground then tightened all 6 bolts.

The problem: The wheel now has a huge amount of toe out. I adjusted the Rear lower link to its limit to try and solve the toe but it still has about 10 deg toe out. The nearside rear wheel was unharmed so I compared all the suspension components, which look similar.

post-8192-135011913972_thumb.jpg

The request: HELP! What am I doing wrong? Did loosening the subframe bolt allow it to shift? Are there any important installation procedures I may have missed? Any other suggestions to what may be causing the toe out?

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions!

When you carry out 4 wheel alignment when adjust the rear camber/track you have to juggle both eccentrics to get both the camber/toe correct.

You can't just leave the camber link in the same position and expect the angles to be correct

Get the car on a laser 4 wheel alignment machine.

Very true. Is 10 deg toe out too much for the toe/camber arms to correct? I shall take it to an alignment shop to get their oppinion.

Im starting to suspect the hub or upper control arm is also bent a very small amount

I think you maybe lucky and get the angles back in spec with sometime on the

4 wheel alignment, it would be a pretty big hit to damage a hub, the subframes do tweak thou but normally you can get the rear geo back in spec.

For comparison....

When I span the VXR8 into a curb last December, it resulted in less damage to suspension parts that the pic you have shown, but there was a very slight twisting in the diff sub frame.

The twist wasnt noticable when fitted to the car, but when removed and inspected it was clear it was bent out of shape and required replacing.

Bit of an update; new hub and upper wishbone fitted which pulled the alignment back to almost zero. Using my eye alignment kit it looks about right. Off to the alignment shop to get everything set up good and proper. :drive1

Thanks for the advice :thumbs:

Great news Wai Man :thumbs:

Happy days again mate :yahoo: