Engine swap done - fluids advice needed please

stuRS

hi everyone,

At about 5.15am today I got the new engine into the car and called it a night - serious respect to R55LEE, seriously hardcore mate, thanks a lot.

I need to get the car back on the road ASAP and need a few service bits, just wanted some advice please.

Question is, am I ok to buy my fluids from halfords? I need:

Engine oil

Gearbox oil

Power steering fluid

Coolant

Washer jet stuff

Engine and gearbox oil are my worry really, I've checked online and they stuck mobil 1, but I've used Nissan oils in my box before but can't really afford to wait for delivery times.

I also need a set of belts, I presume I'll be fine with a set of standard belts for now?

Finally, my car is JDM and I don't have a service book, so an active link to a service book would be great.

Thanks guys,

Stuart

I recently spent £115 on fluids for the car, Engine, Clutch, Gearbox, LSD.

All purchased from Opie. The gearbox oil I used was Redline MT 90 and engine oil changed to Gulf Competition to see how it performs on the Revup.

Great thanks. Do you know what grade gearbox oil I need? I wonder if I should do the LSD while I'm at it...should probably do brakes and clutch too thinking about it.

for the lsd, its actually a viscous slip diff. Most people have experience problems unless using the genuine nissan stuff.

Zmanalex will be able to do you a very good price for a the lot I reckon.

Drop him a pm.

If i remember right, gearbox fluid, diff fluid and molyslip gearbox additive was around 90 quidish

Thanks Neil, my online banking is locked out at the moment so I'm likely to lose another week if I buy from Alex, which is a shame.

Might leave the diff for now I think, will have a search for gearbox oil info :thumbs:

someone posted up last week about it if I remember right so there should be some very recent info on that :thumbs:

I recently purchased these direct from Nissan for fluids change.

Gearbox/Transmission oil: Nissan MT-XZ SAE 75w-80 GL4+

part # KE916-99932

Differential oil: Nissan SAE 80w-90 GL5

part # KE907-99932

Coolant: Nissan L248 (same as L250 but premixed)

see here: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=46401

This plus a couple of o-rings in the quantities i needed cost about £90 inc. VAT

It is important that only GL4 and not GL5 is used for the gearbox.

Im afraid I cannot advise on power steering fluid.

What did you use the o rings for?

part # KE916-99932

part # KE907-99932

This plus a couple of o-rings in the quantities i needed cost about £90 inc. VAT

What did you use the o rings for?

part # KE916-99932

part # KE907-99932

You look at the rings and go "Ohhh...." ?

I ran non-Nissan fluids in by gearbox for a while and I really don't recommend it (especially Halfrauds stuff).

Mine was Millers, a good brand and technically superior to the Nissan stock oil, but I had whines, grumbles and trouble with changing down into 2nd or 1st.

Once I got Nissan stuff back in the gearbox is smooth and quiet (well, as quiet as the Z box gets)

+1 and added Molyslip on the recommendation of the Zman, smoooooth :thumbs:

I ran non-Nissan fluids in by gearbox for a while and I really don't recommend it (especially Halfrauds stuff).

Mine was Millers, a good brand and technically superior to the Nissan stock oil, but I had whines, grumbles and trouble with changing down into 2nd or 1st.

Once I got Nissan stuff back in the gearbox is smooth and quiet (well, as quiet as the Z box gets)

Great thanks. Do you know what grade gearbox oil I need? I wonder if I should do the LSD while I'm at it...should probably do brakes and clutch too thinking about it.

for the lsd, its actually a viscous slip diff. Most people have experience problems unless using the genuine nissan stuff.

Drop him a pm.

If i remember right, gearbox fluid, diff fluid and molyslip gearbox additive was around 90 quidish

Sorry Neilp but most JDM's dont have the same diff as uk cars. Its normally a mechanical one, best bet is ask ZMANALEX he told me I didnt need the expensive diff oil, halfords stuff would do. As for the gearbox oil Alex sends out genuine nissan oil and recommends a tube of molyslip to put in too!

The coolant is the green kind lol thats my input for that.

Drop him a pm.

Sorry Neilp but most JDM's dont have the same diff as uk cars. Its normally a mechanical one, best bet is ask ZMANALEX he told me I didnt need the expensive diff oil, halfords stuff would do. As for the gearbox oil Alex sends out genuine nissan oil and recommends a tube of molyslip to put in too!

The coolant is the green kind lol thats my input for that.

You might find Zman's advice in this thread about diffs/oils helpful ;)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33893&hilit=JDM+diffs&start=0