How to protect new paintwork after respray...

Karlp

Should get my zed back tomorrow after a pretty much 80% respray, what's the best way to protect the new paintwork and when can I clean,polish the new paintwork, also with winter coming up I was wanting to get some decent wax on her for some winter protection, what would you guys suggest?

You will notice I have moved this to the proper sub forum.

I suggest you set aside an hour of your day and read through this entire sub forum. Then go ove to www.detailingworld.co.uk and spend 24 hours reading up.

Then after all that if you still have questions, PM Tim @ Envy for yet more advice.

(what I am trying to say, is everyone has a different opinion on what polish/wax etc is the best.)

I recently had my car completely resprayed and it came back completely polished and waxed as so should yours. I haven't had to polish or wax mine yet, but im quite anal so i will be doing it again before the winter sets in. The best thing to do is ask the guys at the sprayshop when you are able to polish and wax it again. As lexx says people have different opionions on what products to use, sometimes it best to just try some and see what you think. Wax wise i use Autoglym HD wax, which i really like but im sure there are people out there that will disagree and recommend another product, such as dodo juice, which comes up a lot on this site. :D

I recently re sprayed my zed my self. For best Results I would say that after the respray the paint would have been left to harden for a couple days before a final 2000 sand and compounding.

After this it should then be left for at least another 4 weeks for the Lacquer to fully harden. I would advise to do little to no driving as stone chips can be formed a lot easier as the Lacquer is still soft, and it would be worth taking the chances.

Once 4 weeks are over, you can do what you want regarding detailing! :)

For really long term protection, would a clear wrap on the bonnet and front panels be good if the paint is perfect? Been pondering this myself...

How much does this approximately cost for a bonnet, wings and bumper application? I'm planning on getting this done too...

6 weeks i think to allow the paint to 'Gas Out' and fully harden. :thumbs:

+1

Spot on if you excuse the pun, paint is porous and needs to breathe sealing it immediately can cause small blebs caused as you have said by gassing.

Some people wax straight away and get away with it, some are not so lucky I wouldnt take the chance and have to pay for another paint job.

You can of course put some compounds on as long as they dont contain sealants or pure waxes that seal the surface. Six weeks in this case should be about right. :thumbs:

+1

Spot on if you excuse the pun, paint is porous and needs to breathe sealing it immediately can cause small blebs caused as you have said by gassing.

Some people wax straight away and get away with it, some are not so lucky I wouldnt take the chance and have to pay for another paint job.

You can of course put some compounds on as long as they dont contain sealants or pure waxes that seal the surface. Six weeks in this case should be about right. :thumbs:

It's getting cold now...would the wait have to be increased further? I'm guessing in the winter it would take longer for paint to cure than in the summer?

For really long term protection, would a clear wrap on the bonnet and front panels be good if the paint is perfect? Been pondering this myself...

How much does this approximately cost for a bonnet, wings and bumper application? I'm planning on getting this done too...

Send Taras at RT performance a message for an idea on price for this. He does the Hexis Clear vinyl wrap. :thumbs:

+1

It's getting cold now...would the wait have to be increased further? I'm guessing in the winter it would take longer for paint to cure than in the summer?

Hi there

I think your from the lincoln region give me a pm if you wish but normally if you have a paint job done by a local dealer that 6+ week is still the same.

Cheers jeff