Well, its back to black for me.......temporarily

Ebized

Colin - where is the camera located? Doesnt seem to get the best view and also looks wonkey. You can see they've adjusted the lines so the ones on the right are shorter to counteract the wonkiness :wacko: Mine is right close to the boot release button and doesnt need half the compensation of that.

5791b459.jpg

Chris, if you look at that picture you can see the number plate at the bottom.

:thumbs:

Yeah looks way off centre to me. Mine is between the boot release and number plate light (which are in the same places on a 350z), where as Colin's looks way over the end of the plate. Seems odd placement :shrug:

So how did the GT Edition compare to GUNs

I can't wait to have my manual back :lol::lol:

More seriously, although I got to test an auto back in 2009 with Nissan at Silverstone, where downshifts were always expected before the corners and upshifts on exiting corners when the s/wheel would be near on straight ahead, on a winding road it is a whole different ball game with press-on driving and the need to react to the unexpected. Locking it into the paddle change mode rather than letting the full auto function take over meant that in a straight line it felt decidedly quicker than GUNs :surrender: But when it came to the twisties the fact the paddles do not rotate with the wheel meant quite a bit of fumbling if you use the s/wheel 'racing style', such that entry in and out of corners was a lot slower for me and with extra dabs on the brakes for confidence. :thumbdown: Guess its fine if you are s/wheel shuffler but somehow my need to take the left hand off the wheel for the downshifts or the right hand off for the upshifts in flowing corners felt so awkward. And of course the gear ratios of the 7-speed auto are quite different and I found 2nd was so low that corners normally taken in GUNs in that gear left the auto screaming for a change to 3rd......

OK, so auto owners might say with a manual you need to take your left hand off to change gear anyway, but I found the the need to remove my right hand as well from the s/wheel just felt wrong. :shrug:

Moving on though to the real reason for the test, with Nissan proclaiming:

"The principal modification has been to retune the dampers to provide the ideal balance between ride comfort and high speed handing".

Testing the car on main, secondary and minor roads up to legal speed limits around Surrey/Sussex/Kent, I was struggling to find any appreciable difference in the handling/ride comfort compared to my own 370. And that is taking account of the fact the GT Edition, with less than 2k miles showing, was still taught in terms of suspension wear.

Although there is no mention of changes to the suspension settings having been made, this Bridgestone shod GT Edition did appear less prone to tram-lining and did not squeal on lock when cold. The former issue has recently been significantly reduced on GUNs with the Sessantas fitted. That said I have yet to test the Sessanta's capabilities in the wet - so watch this space on my overall findings, as they say.

A distinct improvement with the GT Edition was less noise transmitted into the cabin travelling over uneven surfaces was reduced with the stated revisions to the underbody insulation. I certainly found the noise in GUNs was more intrusive compared to the two previous 350z's I owned. So that change is a worthwhile improvement. But the motorway road noise from the unchanged Bridgestones was still prevalent, again something that the Sessantas seem to have addressed to a large extent.

Apart from the other changes I have noted in a previous post ^^^^^, little things like the warning lights for the auto and air con being on top of the dials, rather than tucked underneath is so much better an even the fact the mats with 'curtain rings' that simply slide over the lugs which are fixed to the seat brackets, makes for easier removal than the fixings GUNs has that are a two handed and swearing job to unclip.

A downside though is that there is even less cabin storage areas than mine! Now the net behind the pasenger seat has gone - (wonder if that is to do with items being squashed and setting off the air-bag warning lights?) I guess its a change across the whole 370 range and my one and only real criticsim of the 370 cabin from day 1. Owners are now left with just the central armrest box and tiny glovebox. Not even coathooks, as you find in the 350, are provided. :dry:

Didn't get an opportunity to fully explore the connect premium system but certainly the touch screen facility is a real bonus when you are on the move. The sat-nav with speed cameras is also useful - but again I did not have time to see if the settings could be changed to give better advance warning of cameras. For some reason during the Sunday drive the pairing with my phone stopped working - something I have never experienced with GUNs, and of course it happened at the least opportune time :doh:

The gel/pump kit has changed so that, if you use it, you now insert the bottle into the pump to fill the tyre, rather than on GUNS where you get a bigger bottle and plastic tubes and need to squeeze in manually. - pics:

P1010422.jpg

P1010423.jpg

But I would recommend a spacesaver every time, especially as we are told that if the Gel is used the tyre canot be reused and irrespective if it works to seal the puncture. Some might say, 'oh but the extra weight' but in all honesty I think the 370 is a tad more friendly having a bit more weight in the back when you steering on the throttle ;) 370 owners might like to compare by putting some weight in the boot..................... :)

GUNs spacesaver (for those who may not have seen this pic before):

spacesaver.jpg

So, some good and not so good points about the latest 370 offering but for me no auto and no stripes, if I were to place an order. ;)