Help! Think I'm in big trouble

scruffy

Hi everyone,

Got a major problem with my 350 and looking for any advice.

I've done 140,000 miles in my 05 model and all was great until the engine warning light went on recently. I then noticed the car had started running rough but it was still going.

Took it to my main dealership and they did the diagnostic checks and found five cylinders were below the minimum of 140psi. They reckon there had been an oil problem but I had been topping it up regularly. Anyway their thoughts were that it needs a new engine. Clearly not an option. What about second hand engines?

I fear the worst but I am very reluctant to send my car to the scrapyard.

Any thoughts much apreciated.

Hi everyone,

Got a major problem with my 350 and looking for any advice.

I've done 140,000 miles in my 05 model and all was great until the engine warning light went on recently. I then noticed the car had started running rough but it was still going.

Took it to my main dealership and they did the diagnostic checks and found five cylinders were below the minimum of 140psi. They reckon there had been an oil problem but I had been topping it up regularly. Anyway their thoughts were that it needs a new engine. Clearly not an option. What about second hand engines?

I fear the worst but I am very reluctant to send my car to the scrapyard.

Any thoughts much apreciated.

you could always get a replacement second hand engine. Another member is doing this atm

It's normal unleaded from a Shell petrol station.

:doh: The car should be run on 98Ron, it even says so in the manual. Not saying that's the cause of your problems, but if you do get another engine dropped in then it's worth bearing in mind for the future.

Still, I am sorry to hear of your woes, get yourself down to Abbey they'll look after you :thumbs:

It is hard to say what the problem is without seeing and inspecting the car , but I would say running on Unleaded wouldn't of helped.

As Southern Speed said , we can have a good look around in the cylinders with our borescopes and see if there is any viewable damage, but even if it is a tight tappet it is major job , to get the cam's out to do the valve clearances is a motor out job in our eyes ( front covers need to come off and to get these off you need to remove the sump)

Mark

Until you get the head off difficult to comment. Looks like a engine rebuild. If you do it now, chances are you will get away from having to replace the engine. As R35LEE has said, try and get it to Abbey without driving it there. :thumbs: