Hamster crash film to be shown on Top Gear ?

Sylvester

From Yahoo news....

Shocking footage of the crash that almost killed Richard Hammond looks set to be shown on TV. The Top Gear star was close to death following the 300mph jet-powered dragster crash in September. The father-of-two's vehicle veered off the track at Elvington airfield, near York, during a land speed record attempt being filmed for BBC series Top Gear.

Co-presenter Jeremy Clarkson said "half the world" wanted to see the crash so he was sure it would be included in the first show of the new series of Top Gear on January 28.

"We're looking into whether we've enough footage of a good quality to show it," he said.

Hammond himself - who has no memory of the crash - is said to be happy for the scenes to be broadcast.

He was treated for a brain injury at Leeds General Infirmary which reduced him to a "child-like state" in which he became obsessed with Lego.

He suffered short-term memory loss, became disorientated and also endured "excruciating" pain, for which he was prescribed morphine.

Clarkson added: "Richard has no idea what happened to him so he'll be as keen as everyone else to see it."

A BBC spokesman said a final decision on the footage was yet to be made.

Not sure I could convince myself not to watch it!

Just because he's a well loved TV bloke doesn't mean we shouldn't see it. I'm sure most of those real-life crash programmes involve crashes where there were nasty injuries. I suspect the only ones they won't show are fatalities or perhaps those with long term serious injuries. I'd watch.

Havoc on Men and Motors shows plenty of crashes in which I know people were killed or seriously injured. Many tv shows drop in footage of old F1 crashes where people died.

Personally I think any accident in which the safety systems worked as they should should be shown.

There was an accident in DMT in 2004 where the teams traveled to Shanghai for an exhibition race. At the start of the race a manhole cover became dislodged as the cars passed over it. Bernd Mayländer then hit the cover sending his AMG CLK up in the air and crashed to the ground. Was amazing to see and even more amazing that he was driving as race speed due to overheated problems.

Link to videos

I think it would great to show the crash, it just showws people that driving at those speeds is for highly skilled pros and shouldn't be attempted by barry in his fiesta with cut springs, lexus lights and peco exhaust !