why do they do it!!!!

Dano190485

Just a little moan:

I just got my renewel through, Im 26 years old i have 7years ncb never had a crash and have a 57 plate 313 350z which ive owned for a year on the 17th of oct. The quote i got when i first purchased my car from tescos (who ive been with since i passed my test 7 years ago) was £1300. After going on gocompare just for a quick look i was quoted around the £750 mark, So i called tescos and they put me through to there curtasey department and they managed to get me down to £720. Why they couldnt just offer me that in the first place annoyed me quite a bit. Now it looks like im going to have to go through it all again as they have just quoted me £1280 even though i havent moved and havent had any accidents. And once again i had a quick look on gocompare and swift will cover me with lower excess for £680....

seriously how can insurance companys come up with such bigger quotes?

To be fair to insurers, there isn't a company in the world that gives you their best price straight away. Why should they, they all know you're only going to haggle the cost anyway so there's no incentive to get it as low as possible first time.

To be fair to insurers, there isn't a company in the world that gives you their best price straight away. Why should they, they all know you're only going to haggle the cost anyway so there's no incentive to get it as low as possible first time.

Agreed. At the end of the day they are out to maximise profits. All the consumer can hope is that natural competition in the market will keep prices low. However all the sods are up to it so they are all the same. Doesnt take 10 mins to get a new quote and they always match it.

Look at it this way - at least you are smart enough to get a new quote - think of all the people that dont :headhurt:

How insurance companies work is they tend to give you a lower quote in year 1, then jack the price up for subsequent years as they know that a certain percentage of people cant be bothered to shop around and will happily pay the higher premiums.

Its not just car insurance. I just had my home insurance renewal through from Tescos. £250. Quick phone call to them:

Me: "Just had my renewal through for £250 and I can get it for £200 elsewhere"

Tesco: "No problem sir we can match that"

Its a pain that you have to take time out of your day to phone them up, and I agree, if they can do it for £200 for a start, why not save you the time and hassle and just offer you it for that in the first place. Just shows how much profit they make tho, if they can drop that much on the premium and still make a profit.

• 1 month later...
Just a little moan:

I just got my renewel through, Im 26 years old i have 7years ncb never had a crash and have a 57 plate 313 350z which ive owned for a year on the 17th of oct. The quote i got when i first purchased my car from tescos (who ive been with since i passed my test 7 years ago) was £1300. After going on gocompare just for a quick look i was quoted around the £750 mark, So i called tescos and they put me through to there curtasey department and they managed to get me down to £720. Why they couldnt just offer me that in the first place annoyed me quite a bit. Now it looks like im going to have to go through it all again as they have just quoted me £1280 even though i havent moved and havent had any accidents. And once again i had a quick look on gocompare and swift will cover me with lower excess for £680....

seriously how can insurance companys come up with such bigger quotes?

I pay exactly the same as you for my Zed and l am with AXA which is Swift. I have a claim though

which l am regretting as it was a hit and run on my Pathfinder in Feb 2010.

I should have got the work done private.

• 4 months later...

How insurance companies work is they tend to give you a lower quote in year 1, then jack the price up for subsequent years as they know that a certain percentage of people cant be bothered to shop around and will happily pay the higher premiums.

Its not just car insurance. I just had my home insurance renewal through from Tescos. £250. Quick phone call to them:

Me: "Just had my renewal through for £250 and I can get it for £200 elsewhere"

Tesco: "No problem sir we can match that"

Its a pain that you have to take time out of your day to phone them up, and I agree, if they can do it for £200 for a start, why not save you the time and hassle and just offer you it for that in the first place. Just shows how much profit they make tho, if they can drop that much on the premium and still make a profit.

And ive also just had the same with my travel insurance. Renewal comes through £58 for 12 months. Quick look on a comparison site lists 30 companies offering me the same cover for £25 or less.

Missus`s car insurance renewal just hit the door mat this morning too. They are keen to offer us a "very competitive" price of £750 after going into a lengthy spiel on the letter about how car insurance costs have gone up this year. Quick search on confused.com and ive got it down to £250 for exactly the same cover. Thats a staggering improvement.

Really makes you wonder how many people just click "renew" and dont bother checking!

Just had our multicar renewal through and its £200 more than doing a new quote. Supprisingly it is cheaper than doing the cars seperately by about £100-£150, which is not what some members have found recently.

Was telling my dad about this yesterday and he says "well now you mention it, your mums car insurance has just come through. £250 they want"

So I look on the net... sure enough, the cheapest quote I can find is £83 for the same cover, with at least 20 companies all coming in at the £100 mark or cheaper.

Needless to say they were well pleased that id helped them out!

They do make me laugh got my renewal from Sky for £562 which has gone up by about £60, found a cheaper quote for £483 then Sky called me back and said they will match it told them i will sort it when i am back from my holiday so i call them today and ...... its now £620 what the F....... fed up of being ripped off and taken for an idiot !

Still applies.

there isn't a company in the world that gives you their best price straight away

There is :) .... Mine ;)

I've found in todays climate people are busier than ever making less than ever, so they appreciate being able to pick up the phone, get a good price and not need to shop around. Saves them time, saves my staff time quoting the same job twice and has improved customer retention rates no end as customers know they can save time and get about the best price by just staying where they are.

(I dont sell insurance by the way :lol:).