Proof Porsche are running out of ideas

LRF4N

That was the case for the 996/997, which was basically the same car underneath. It's pretty much a non-story really, and I don't know why all the big guys are running it as 'news'.

In 3/4 years time you'll get the 991.2, and then three years after that the 992.1, and then 3/4 years after that the 992.2 so it's pretty straightforward really. Besides, having made such a huge investment into the car you'd expect any manufacturer to try everything possible to extend the life of the product: Some will sell the chassis to others or move it between brands in the same group, but as the 911 is unique in construction they'll just put a prettier body on it and re-work the engine/interior/suspension setup. Easy as that. :)

let's not forget too though, that product lifecycles are always subject to change - for better or worse, as the global economies dictate

the only thing Porsche can confirm right now is that cars already in the production pipeline will be produced...beyond that, they will go at a pace they are comfortable with, like any other manufacturer does

My god porsche are the most boring car company ever.

DESIGN A DIFFERENT CAR!

The cayenne is a 911 on stilts, the Panamera is a 911 on steroids, a Cayman is a 911 before it reaches puberty.

But Porsche is 911 - if they did anything else then people wouldnt buy it. When people stop buying it they will stop making it - simples.

But surely they can keep the 911 going and have something else alongside it? Like the old 944 and 928, something completely different. The cayman shouldn't have looked like a mini 911.

I remember auto express reporting this panamera coupe a while back

27f73dcfedhoto33.jpg.jpg

Bearing in mind they're adding the Cajun (mini-Cayenne) soon, I'm guessing they're not too interested in other markets right now. In all honesty (and being completely biased I will freely admit), why should they?

You want a roadster? Buy the Boxster.

You want a small coupe? Buy the Cayman.

You want a 2+2 practical sports coupe? Buy the 911.

You want something utterly balls-out? Buy a 911 GT car.

You want to ferry the kids around? Buy the Cayenne.

You want to impress your golfing buddies? Buy the Panamera.

There is no other car company barring Audi that have such a broad range of sporty cars that are all dynamically at the top of the tree (which is where Porsche beats Audi). Anything else just isn't necessary and would dilute the brand further. Bearing in mind the 928 was supposed to replace the 911, but no-one bought it in the numbers they expected because they all still wanted that gorgeous shape mated with an unusual drivetrain and the howl of a flat-6. Sadly, there's a reason that Porsches are incredibly common, but that's because they're all so bloody good.