Photo Challenge - October 2011 - Night

Husky

As a quick question do the have to be straight out the camera or can we edit/process them in photoshop or similar?

They really shouldn't be photoshopped as it's a photography challenge rather than a drawing one. It is however difficult to tell sometimes if something is photoshopped. For that reason I'll leave it up to people to hopefully leave them un photoshopped, if however there is obvious evidence it's photoshopped i'll fire a request back for the unprocessed original :)

I'm guessing any level of HDR-ing is out of the question then?

DB

ok lets go half way and say that general effects etc (eg. black and white, HDR, sepia) are ok but as you can imagine i'm trying to steer away from entries that don't even look real.

Just be sensible, it's your call what you do with the picture and it's everyones vote who wins it :)

example PS that would get rejected

05-1.jpg

ok lets go half way and say that general effects etc (eg. black and white, HDR, sepia) are ok but as you can imagine i'm trying to steer away from entries that don't even look real.

Just be sensible, it's your call what you do with the picture and it's everyones vote who wins it :)

Good call, TBH I think most people have grown out of using HDR for the uber-saturated comic-book look anyway. I only really use it as a way of shooting backlit or very shiney (car) objects to capture light levels accurately.

DB

• 2 weeks later...

i do have some to choose from but i have actually been waiting for certain conditions to capture the actual shot i wanted and so far haven't had them so i was waiting to see if i got said conditions before closing date otherwise i will submit one i already have

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my belated submission:

It's a sleeping black cat laying next to a Kuro 350Z with black wheels outside a barn painted black in the middle of the countryside on a cloudy night. I think I captured the essence of the blissful innocence of the feline contrasting nicely with the angry masculinity of the car, and all set to the simple elegance of a working farm that embodies the quintessential Britishness.

I can categorically state for the record that the image in question has never been Photoshopped.

It may, however, have been altered slightly with GIMP as I don't have PS at work. All I did though was alter the levels a bit, as the LED 'On' light on the camera caught a slight reflection of the cat's whiskers which totally killed the entire shot. :(