TCS not working?!

sunshine

I got a nice surprise today exiting a roundabout sideways! TCS is deffinately on but I can spin the rears up very easily in the wet and either the tcs doesnt activate at all or takes a second or two to realise the wheels are spinning. Not a terrible problem itself for me but im wary of the missus driving in the wet with the tcs ineffective. What should i do to get it working properly?

Well thats helps tremendously guys thanks.

Now if someone with technical knowlage could have some input as to why the tcs has stopped working that be great.

it hasnt stopped working, the car has to slip first to realise it is slipping. If it isnt slipping then why would it cut in.

What tyres have you got for a starting point?

Are we talking about spinning up in a straight line or round corners?

Tbh it's a 350Z not a 600bhp Ferrari, so not a particularly tricky car to drive and unless you're pushing on you should never need the TCS, with all due respect to you and your missus.

Goodyear eagle f1's on the standard rays.

Somethings definately wrong with it as its normally very intrusive/senseative, but i just seems to have stopped working almost at all and when it does there is a very big delay.

Thats why i dont really appreciate people just popping there 2 pence worth in as im actually after help not to be patronised.

Probably a sensor error? Is there a way to reset or check the system without a trip to the dealer?

What tyre sizes?

I don't think people are being patronising just honest, no real need to be so defensive. As has been said, if you're driving smoothly the TCS will never come on, so if it is or you feel like you need it then you need to be looking at driving style as much as anything. :)

What tyre sizes?

I don't think people are being patronising just honest, no real need to be so defensive. As has been said, if you're driving smoothly the TCS will never come on, so if it is or you feel like you need it then you need to be looking at driving style as much as anything. :)

245/45/18

Driving style my a%^e!

Its not that i need the tcs, id just like to think thats its working incase im ever in a emergency situation. You simply cant predict when you may need to make a evasive manouver to avoid an accident, those systems are put there to save lives and im not happy sticking my missus behind the wheel of a car that i know those systems aren't effectively working.

Put it this way i bet jenson button wears a seatbelt, doesnt matter how good of a driver you are accidents happen and systems are put in place to help the driver and passenger come away unharmed.

What tyre sizes?

245/45/18

Driving style my a%^e!

Its not that i need the tcs, id just like to think thats its working incase im ever in a emergency situation. You simply cant predict when you may need to make a evasive manouver to avoid an accident, those systems are put there to save lives and im not happy sticking my missus behind the wheel of a car that i know those systems aren't effectively working.

Put it this way i bet jenson button wears a seatbelt, doesnt matter how good of a driver you are accidents happen and systems are put in place to help the driver and passenger come away unharmed.

look mate, look at the amount of posts every replying member has.

Most of us have lots of experience with driving these cars on track and on roads.

If your going to use poor language I suggest you go elsewhere. You have now made yourself the forum tosser of the day... Well done. Go pay nissan a few hundred quid to sort out your problem. :#1: for you

OK, shall we look at the facts here..........

I got a nice surprise today exiting a roundabout sideways!

Driving style my a%^e!

Its not that i need the tcs,

Please dont take this the wrong way, but if the above is how you drive and what you think then I hope you dont hurt anyone including your self one day. TC is not going to save your life in any situation that involves going sideways :thumbs:

I guess being a 20yr old this is your first RWD car with a bit of power, please take some advice and drive appropriately for the conditions.

I bet Jenson Button had his seatbelt on too :thumbs: , but does not drive round on public roads with his arse hanging out. :doh:

are tyre sizes same front and rear?

you need the rears to be 2 sizes bigger - there is a list on here of tyre sizes that 'work' beleive me without the correct sizes front and rear your traction control wont know what to do rain or no rain

also - i had goodyear eagle f1's with the arrow like tread pattern and they were awful in the rain.

are yours the eagle nct5's with a more common tread pattern or just eagle f1s with the arrow tread pattern similar to that of many track day tyres?

also check how much tread left on the rears? once they get to below 3mm especially in the wet the grip is drastically reduced.

without answers to these questions its very hard to start diagnosing if its a tyre fault or traction control problem

What tyre sizes?

245/45/18

Driving style my a%^e!

Most of us have lots of experience with driving these cars on track and on roads.

If your going to use poor language I suggest you go elsewhere. You have now made yourself the forum tosser of the day... Well done. Go pay nissan a few hundred quid to sort out your problem. :#1: for you

Oh dear! No need to throw the toys out the pram pal but your combined knowlage of a few thousand posts on a internet forum has been absolutely utterly useless upto yet. The biggest ignorence is thinking you know more than you actually do. The amount of posts you have is of no relavence or interest to me whatsover, so either you know why the TCS isnt working or you dont, it doesnt take a genius to figure out that if you knew what was wrong you would just say.

I dont know what is wrong hence why i asked for help, not wanting to be patronised by a bunch of internet ken blocks about my driving style.

Seems ive come to the wrong place eh? :wave:

are tyre sizes same front and rear?

you need the rears to be 2 sizes bigger - there is a list on here of tyre sizes that 'work' beleive me without the correct sizes front and rear your traction control wont know what to do rain or no rain

also - i had goodyear eagle f1's with the arrow like tread pattern and they were awful in the rain.

are yours the eagle nct5's with a more common tread pattern or just eagle f1s with the arrow tread pattern similar to that of many track day tyres?

also check how much tread left on the rears? once they get to below 3mm especially in the wet the grip is drastically reduced.

without answers to these questions its very hard to start diagnosing if its a tyre fault or traction control problem

Thanks ill go check these things :thumbs:

Have you had the tyres changed recently and/or are the fronts on the way out with the rears having more tread? Both can cause the TCS to think the rears are spinning slower than the fronts relatively which means the rears in real terms have to be spinning more before TCS will kick in.

Have you had the tyres changed recently and/or are the fronts on the way out with the rears having more tread? Both can cause the TCS to think the rears are spinning slower than the fronts relatively which means the rears in real terms have to be spinning more before TCS will kick in.

That sounds exactly like whats wrong, i had new rears fitted a few weeks back and the fronts have about 3mm left. Also the cars been lowered, not sure if that would have an effect? Cant see why it would though.. :headhurt:

To the guy who asked they are the normal road f1's.

Looks like new front tires then, thanks :thumbs:

What tyre sizes?

245/45/18

Driving style my a%^e!

Oh dear! No need to throw the toys out the pram pal but your combined knowlage of a few thousand posts on a internet forum has been absolutely utterly useless upto yet. The biggest ignorence is thinking you know more than you actually do. The amount of posts you have is of no relavence or interest to me whatsover, so either you know why the TCS isnt working or you dont, it doesnt take a genius to figure out that if you knew what was wrong you would just say.

I dont know what is wrong hence why i asked for help, not wanting to be patronised by a bunch of internet ken blocks about my driving style.

Seems ive come to the wrong place eh? :wave:

precision engineer eh? not very precise are we now ? :lol:

1st thing is i'm not your "pal" nor will I ever be.

2nd thing is there are many factors which affect tcs.

3rd thing is if you are driving to suit the road conditions the tcs will never kick in. The reason you went sideways is because you drove wrongly and pushed the car outwith its grip threshold. As an engineer you should be able to work this out.

That sounds exactly like whats wrong, i had new rears fitted a few weeks back and the fronts have about 3mm left. Also the cars been lowered, not sure if that would have an effect? Cant see why it would though.. :headhurt:

This is most likely the cause. I think the TCS is designed to take into account some degree of tyre wear but obviously it will expect tyres to wear at a fairly even rate. With relatively smaller tyres on the front and larger on the rear to what the TCS expects, it will take a little longer for it to think the rears are spinning faster than the front (ie slipping) and kick in. Personally, I'd prefer it like that as the 350z TCS is quite violent when it kicks in and can unsettle the car more so just go with it.

If when you get new fronts and all the tyres are bedded in it still does the same then we can look at other causes :thumbs:

once you have had the front tyres replaced - you will need to monitor the tyre pressures as part of the problem you are having could be that the pressures are out - this would mean that the rolling radius of the tyres would be different to that of which the ECU is expecting to see from the ABS sensor. this is exactly how tyre pressure warning light systems work. (not on the z it doenst have a TPC system)

obviously a very slight drop in tyre pressure wouldnt give this fault - but if the front tyres are on 3mm and havent had the pressures checked for a long time they are bound to be out which would mean the rolling radius isnt matching the figure the ECU is expecting.

Its a very simply concept - sometimes these are the things we forget which end up causing bigger problems.

This is most likely the cause. I think the TCS is designed to take into account some degree of tyre wear but obviously it will expect tyres to wear at a fairly even rate. With relatively smaller tyres on the front and larger on the rear to what the TCS expects, it will take a little longer for it to think the rears are spinning faster than the front (ie slipping) and kick in. Personally, I'd prefer it like that as the 350z TCS is quite violent when it kicks in and can unsettle the car more so just go with it.

If when you get new fronts and all the tyres are bedded in it still does the same then we can look at other causes :thumbs:

It deffinately seems like a logical explination, im sure it worked fine prior to having new tires.

What concerns me now is the fact the car can go sideways, isnt that on a different system with a yaw sensor, or are they connected? I havent tried to get it sideways since it failed today, so may just be a one off :wacko:

combine what myself and chris have both mentioned and i think you will have found the cause!

usually a bust sensor would ping a warning light on the dash constantly! so its gotta be somthing simple!

:thumbs:

Yeah i completely overlooked the tires to be honest. I just assumed because they have tread they are okay! Thanks for the info :thumbs: