Heater not heating

Fred020

Hi,

Had my 2010 GT for 3 weeks now, and it seems the heater does not work properly. Today I put a thermometer in the car. Temperatures were roughly like this on my way to work. The first column is what the heater was set to. Actual recorded cabin temperature is in the second column. All measurements in centigrade:

Setting Temp

22 20

24 21

26 22

Outside temp was warmish - about 17 C.

So you see the problem :cold:. I am not looking forward to the winter. The thing is, the fan never went to more than 2 bars, so the car was not "trying" to heat things up very much, even when I eventually set it to 28C.

Any ideas ?

If I turn the setting up to 29.5 it is still lukewarm. But moving it up to 30 (the max) and tons of hot air suddenly pours out of the vents.

Has the coolant been changed recently? .

:lol: I should hope not with the car being only 3 weeks old.

Is the air-con on? If it is, in my 370 the ambient temperature is noticeably cooler (I have not measured it) but as soon as you turn the air-con off you can feel the extra warmth. Having the air intake set to outside air rather than recirculating the air will also of course make it seem cooler.

I simply up the temperature to whatever is needed - usually around 22 degrees according to the screen display and if I don't have the windows open the air-con is invariably on to give some 'fresh' air in the cabin and stop misting.

I presume you have not installed something in the car that is conflicting with the two sensors - see page 4.13 of your handbook.

Nothing installed in the car, which is actually a year old (60 reg). I bought it 3 weeks ago as an ex demonstrator. The failure to heat happens whether or not the air con is on.

Seems like it might be the internal temperature sensor. I wonder if there is a way of getting the computer to tell you what temp it THINKS the cabin is ?

• 4 weeks later...

I took it back a fortnight ago and they didn't take it seriously. They just cleared some engine codes and washed the car. Waste of a 2.7 hour round trip. To be fair it was a warm day and the problem is obvious only on cold days.

This time, a letter is going to the manager. Hopefully they will take it seriously.