Time to change the Z?

Fuse

Hey folks, I’m hoping someone here can help me out and offer some top advice :)

I’ve owned my Z for a couple of years now and while I’ve loved every minute of it the time may soon be coming to trade it in for something more practical. Realistically I need something with 4 doors and a reasonable sized boot (big enough for suitcases and a pushchair when the time comes!). Something cheaper to run than the Z would also be good, I’ve managed to afford it for the past couple of years but we’re looking to move house (with accompanying larger mortgage!) and have a family soon and so I just don’t think I can afford to spend the sort of money that I have been doing on petrol, servicing, tyres, etc.

The problem is that I just don’t think I can go from a 276bhp rwd sports car to a run of the mill 1.6l Ford Focus or such like. I want something that’s still got a decent amount of poke and isn’t going to bore me to tears every time I drive it. I was thinking something like a BMW 3 series as I like the looks and the way they drive, but then I’m not so sure that this would be any cheaper to run and maintain than the Z? Stuff like a Mondeo, Vectra, etc. just don’t inspire me.

Budget wise I’m probably looking at £12-14k and ideally I’d want something no more than 4 or 5 years old and less than say 50k on the clock.

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone run a 3 series as a second car or car for the other half and able to advise on what it costs compared to the Z?

just a thought for you (when someone said to me ((a member ;) )), i realised i hadn't even thought about them)

the Volvo S40, with the D4 (2.4TD) or T5 (2.5 T)

they come in Diff trim packages with the R-Design being top spec, but the LUX models and Sport models looking good.

The post 2008 are the facelift models with a few good improvements to an already good car :thumbs:

Worth a look :D

Good luck with the search.

Both the 330i and 330d are in your price range. The D is actually more expensive 2nd hand because its much more economical, but even my 335i can manage over 40mpg+ if you stick on the cruise control at 60mph on the M ways.

Personally I love my 335i, much more grown up than the Z (only faster :teeth: ). Only had it for a few months but nothings broken yet. BMW main servicing costs are a joke but plenty of independents around. Lovely to drive with a good sounding petrol engine ( cannot comment on the D version). Interior quality is a class above Fords etc :thumbs:

Thanks for the replies folks, some interesting suggestions there that i'd not really considered, worth some more investigation :-)

With regards the beemers, for those that have them, are the running costs likely to be significantly different to the z? I'm talking servicing, tyres, brakes, etc basically any wear parts assuming i'd use independent garages for both cars rather than dealers.

I went from having the Zed to buying a brand new Corsa.

It's not the fastest thing around but you can only do the speed limit, right? :dry:

It's a 1.7 Diesel, it looks okay and I am pleased with my choice.........

........although I'm now starting to miss the noise of the Zed!!

Good luck with your search :thumbs:

Thanks for the replies folks, some interesting suggestions there that i'd not really considered, worth some more investigation :-)

With regards the beemers, for those that have them, are the running costs likely to be significantly different to the z? I'm talking servicing, tyres, brakes, etc basically any wear parts assuming i'd use independent garages for both cars rather than dealers.

Not had the 335i long enough to fully tell, but from what I gather most bits are actually quite resonable but it depends on which model you go for. My wheels are 18inch so tyre prices is indentical to the Zs. Servicing is "interval" based, essentially the onboard computer tells you when the next oil service is due, when the brakes are due to be replaced, when filters needs changing etc..its all very clever :)

Overall the 335i is currently cheaper to run than the Z (mainly cos its about 5-10mpg better on fuel and can run on 95Ron rather than needing superunleaded). The 320d eco models are suppose to be very ecomnocial and cheap to run over all, hence why theres one around every corner...but to me its seems a bit pointless paying extra for RWD only to ruin it with a boring engine...but as they say the BMW badge is apparently worth its weight in gold and plenty of people seem willing to pay for it :thumbdown:

• 2 weeks later...
I just don’t think I can go from a 276bhp rwd sports car to a run of the mill 1.6l Ford Focus or such like.

Unless you're looking at an RS I see the problem! I need a four(ish) seater at the moment. Looking at old M3s, Skylines and er...that's about it. Actually I've seen some lovely Silvia/Sil-80's as well. :throb:

Went to get the Z serviced today and was promised a courtesy car. I was imagining an enhanced GTR or at the very least a 370Z roadster to entice me to buy on such a sunny day...What I got was a Micra...with adverts for the dealership all over it... :scare:

I sat in it, started the engine...and then promptly turned it off and returned the keys to the service desk. No way I'm risking a 500 quid excess for sitting on a hairdryer.

What about the latest JDM Civic Type R?

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3254324.htm

Gets a great write up as a drivers car in EVO so you may not miss the Z as much. Running costs should be reasonable and as long as you spare the VTECH for driving pleasure rather than everyday use the fuel consumption should be reasonable.

Being a JDM the insurance may be more and it looks like they are still just out of the price range you were looking at though :dry:

Anyone else tried one of these?

Chris