Do front and rear pads need to be the same?

bodeboo

nothing much more to add really...! Had my zed for a couple of months and knew when I bought it the front pads would need replacing asi came up as an advisory on the mot. Only going to use car for normal road use but Think have narrowed down the front pads to either ferrodo ds2500 of ebb yellowstuff. But not knowing what's on the rear I am wondering whether it's better to replace both front and rear at the same? Does it matter?

i didnt think it mattered, after all, the front and rear discs are completely different sizes and number of pistons. The front does a lot more braking than the rear anyways, hence the size difference.

only problem i can think of is different pads would get to optimal operating temperature at different times if the compound differs a lot?

I'm running the DS2500 on the front and Performance friction Z compound on the rear. Never had any braking issues but to be you'd probably notice more on the track. Never noticed anything adverse fast road either? Maybe I won't notice as much because they are both updated pads? Maybe if running higher performance up front and oem on the back I may notice a difference.