Zed deposit taken - now what car??!

relentless

Ive finally taken a deposit for my Zed and im not looking forward to getting rid one bit! :( ... it hadnt even done 30k! but practicality must now kick in....

So im now deciding what to get next....ive narrowed it down to either a

Golf

A3

BMW 1 series

budget 7k.

So anyone had much experience of any of the above? Good mpg and reliability is a must.

cheers

Mark

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife started with a 1.9d A3, then moved onto the 118d BMW.

A3 was very nice... but the 1series is LOVELY... Feels great to drive, even though it is a diesel. So the petrol's must be great!

When we sold the A3, she wanted another one, but the 1series were coming up just as cheap, so we risked one and she loves it.

ONE THING TO THINK ABOUT WITH THE BMW's!!!!!

The rear Diffs tend to go. Ours did about 2 months after having it :doh: About £1200 to sort (£900 for a refurb'd one from BMW)

Apparently quite a weak spot on them...

Can't recommend the 1series enough. :thumbs:

I couldnt imagine driving anything as ugly and as boring as a one series BMW one point eight diesel :lol:

I know I am going to get slated for it and I do have a hatred of BMW cars that have been built over the last 6-7 years but I just have to get that out in the open - my names Col and I am a BMW hater :lol:

I couldnt imagine driving anything as ugly and as boring as a one series BMW one point eight diesel :lol:

But you suggested an Astra!! :p:lol:

I suggested a 2.0T Astra or VXR, the VXR which is probably as quick as a Zed - you guys were going for a 118 Diesel!

Have you tried driving one Col?

They are LOVELY to drive...!

Yep, I thought they were, well okay to drive - still think they are overpriced for what you get and the body shape, its hideous.

But you suggested an Astra!! :p:lol:

I suggested a 2.0T Astra or VXR, the VXR which is probably as quick as a Zed - you guys were going for a 118 Diesel!

But you can't argue that the BMW is boring... and the Nova is good because it is quick.

The Nova is MORE awful than the 1 series to look at. Plus it's a Vauxhall!

Yes, the Beemer is over priced (as they all are) but second hand they all kinda equal out.

No the Beemer isn't the best looking car either... Prettier than a Nova though :lol:

I assume the reference to the Nova is some sort of dig at the Astra?

I am not saying that Vauxhall are great - I think they are about average - but having driven both a 2.0T and a 118D the Astra wins hands down on fun, looks, performance and ability to modify if you like. BMW is overpriced, more reliable but massively expensive to repair when they do go wrong.

If you want to soften the blow of selling the Zed and getting a more sensible car then the 118D is a big step down in my view, the Astra would sit somewhere in between - depends what you want really. And like I said, the 1 series BMW is fugly :lol:

I hear what you are saying Coldel. :thumbs:

There u go, reliable, good mileage, bit of poke, decent looking and most importantly 4WD, which will be a must in a few months. The 1series are USELESS in the snow.

R

Oh yeah... we are SCREWED this year as we have the Zed or the 1'er to drive in the snow. :doh:

A3 tubby Q would be nice B)

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3106612.htm

There u go, reliable, good mileage, bit of poke, decent looking and most importantly 4WD, which will be a must in a few months. The 1series are USELESS in the snow.

R

Nice find that.

Amazed how prices are dropping...

+1 on the A3 but I'd go for the 2.0FSI engine (if you can get a new enough one for you) over the turbos. I had one for 2 years and loved the engine, pokey when it needs to be but 43MPG on a good motorway cruise.

DB