Cat C Insurance write off for £6.5K?

John tarantula

Been looking a getting a Zed and have found one where he might trade in my current car so is pretty attractive. the Zed is a cat C write off though. I need to speak to him later to see if he has any paperwork to show it was repaired properly etc. getting the feeling it is a bit expensive considering this though?

2005 with 64,00 miles, rest of it is apparently spot on.

Has anyone had problems insuring a Cat C write off? I know it will affect resale values so my head is saying steer clear, even if it's the easier option. Also there are straight ones out there for roughly the same price. Generally how much would be fair to expect off?

Thanks!

michael

Insuring a Cat-C can be a bit of an arse.

And you would want written certification to the road-worthyness of the car from a independant professional inspection. Not just something the seller has knocked up.

You got a link to it?

Insuring a Cat-C can be a bit of an arse.

And you would want written certification to the road-worthyness of the car from a independant professional inspection. Not just something the seller has knocked up.

You got a link to it?

+1. Why bother with the hassle when you can get a straight car for the same money?

I would expect a Cat C car to be worth 15 - 20% less.

Here's the link: http://autotrader.co.uk/classified/adve ... ?logcode=p

Isn't too far from me so will give him another call and see what proof there is of repair etc. As you say though there are plenty of others out there so no point rushing into one that could be a pain. Insurance is bad enough for me anyway in my lovely postcode so don't want to give them any more reasons to charge more!

For what it’s worth, I don’t really think this car is worth the money as a CAT C

There are nicer cars that are "straight" on this forum, for not much more.

If you wanted a cheap car to convert to a track car then fair enough but as a road car, taking in to consideration the issues with insurance and greater difficulty in selling the car in years to come, I think the overall economics would point towards a better loved car.

Let’s not forget you have to do some pretty serious damage to a car of this age an mileage to end up with a CAT C :scare:

As a dealer, like it or not, if we were presented with taking this car in Part Ex, the value would be halved.

yep, will 'let this one go' I think! No point paying loads for a pain in the butt one!

If it makes you feel any better this is a dumpr from the Black Cap Book valuation of that car.

IMO what you see there needs to be at 50% valuation as a pre bent car

NISSAN 350Z COUPE 3.5 V6 3dr (2003), 2005 55 , 64,000 Miles

Mileage Retail Clean Average Poor

5,000 11250 9450 9050 8475

20,000 10595 8775 8350 7750

40,000 9725 7900 7475 6875

64,000 8775 6950 6500 5950

80,000 8175 6350 5900 5375

100,000 7550 5725 5300 4800

120,000 6925 5075 4675 4200

Mines a Cat C and I have owned it for the last year with no problems at all! If the car has been fully repaired, I can't see that there should be a problem! B)

This is my problem with Cat C or D cars.

There are so few repairers I trust, and in the case of a Cat-C you could very well be trusting those with your life.

If a car had been repaired by someone I knew, then maybe, if the car was right, I would be tempted. But as Coldel says, you are then into the issues with selling on and insuring.

Mines a Cat C and I have owned it for the last year with no problems at all! If the car has been fully repaired, I can't see that there should be a problem! B)

I think what people are getting at is that as you could buy a straight car with similar mileage for the same money, buying the CAT C instead would be a strange choice. You've obviously got one that's been fixed properly, but for anyone without ZMANALEX levels of Zed knowledge, you can't be 100% sure you're not buying a pup, so the price has to reflect that risk.

DB

djrm said

If the car has been fully repaired,

I don't think it's "if" so much as "how" the car has been repaired. As Toby said, unless the car is significantly cheaper it probably isn't worth it.

There was a thread on here a while ago by a chap who repaired a yellow gt. While the end result looked o.k it was never the less a car with a great deal of body filler in it. Given the choice between one with substantial repairs and body filler and a nice straight version, I know which i would go for.

Even more so given the choice of nice straight ones now available at affordable prices as others have said.