Squeaking noise in boot

Sagey

Hi there,

I have had a squeak in the boot area which is getting worse (especially on bumpy roads).

On inspection I have realised that it is the silver plastic section of the cross bar (the one with the Z on) which squeaks when you press down on it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Guess its just a case of removing the plastic and stuffing some foam etc underneath??

Thanks

You sure it's in the boot?

There's a few things that can squeak....

My silver bit also squeaked when I pushed down on it, but it wasn't the squeak I was after.

I whipped it off (in winter, sat in boot, freezing my nads off, in the dark, with a maglite in my mouth) and stuffed some rags under it. Did the trick for me.

There's a plastic locating pin that's quite long directly on the back of the 'Z', this can rub on the metal hole that it goes through.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

nice one thanks

how did you remove the plastic section out of interest?

Bloody trial and error! Oh, and some swearing.

Let me annotate a picture as I can't find a guide - give me 5.

Edit - Pic!

The bits circled in red I took off first. The bits in green I 'levered' away so I could remove the silver bit.

The green bit, it's the same the other side. It's got quite an odd clip system but if you inspect whilst seeing what's clipped to what, you'll understand.

P.S - You may have noticed that I am highly skilled in MS Paint - and I'm fully booked up for freelance work, sorry.

Oh and the trim is quite harsh on my pianists fingers (girl hands and it was freezing when I was doing it) so to remove each little clip, I used a flathead screwdriver with a bit of rag around the end. Gently levering.

Didn't break any clips which was was nice.

Edit - found this.

Ok, this is from the top of my head, but here goes. First off do not use fingers to remove the trim, it is very brittle and can break easily. What you want to aim to do is get a trim remover (ideally) or big flat screwdriver, next to each clip as you pop it off, so that the force is applied locally to the clip where the plastic is much beefier. If you try to grip and edge and pull, you risk breaking the trim as the most of it is thin and brittle.

1.) First remove the bits that are on top of the stut, to the left and right of the silver bit. Pop these up from the centre outwards (flat blade screw driver on top of the silver, under the blue plastic). You can get these off completely with a little wiggling around where it meets the side of the boot, but be careful not to break anything. They are held on only with one popper in the middle of the piece and a few other "guide" bits.

2.) Next you need to do the two big flat pieces that run across the strut. These are a bit more complicated. Start off on the far side of the piece. Get a small flat blade screw driver and use it to remove the 2 boot net rings. Just pop the blade down behind the locating bit in the centre and pop it forward.

3.) There are quite a few popers along the strut which need popping. Ideally this should be done with a trim remover as they can be stiff. Or a big screwdriver if done carefully, placing it as close to the popper as possible to avoid breakages. Working from the outside of the boot in you can work your way across.

4.) When you get to the bit around the silver bit you are trying to remove, there are poppers along the middle of it, and also locating tabs running along the top where the blue plastic meets the silver cover.

5.) You need to repeat this for the piece infront of the stut, but you wont be able to remove it completely due to overlap. Just pop the poppers and you should get enough room to slip the silver cover out.

Hope that helps. Cant see its explained anything more than Paul managed to though.

If you are still stuck later, I will try and get out and take some pictures of mine as I do it for you ;)

I recently stripped out my boot to fit some sound deadening, and i can tell you that taking the strut covers off is a lot easier once you've removed the plastic trim around the top edges of the boot (need to remove the panel at the back of the boot as well to get these off) and the trim around the wheel arches. It's all pretty easy to get off, i just used a screwdriver with some electrical tape wrapped around it to find the clips and pop them off. Definitely better to do these things in the right order; seems to me that trying to wrestle trim out from behind other pieces is asking for broken clips, which nissan just love to charge you for.

DB

Ps. if you haven't had the car long have a rummage in the spare wheel compartment for loose stuff that could be making the noise, i discovered that a rattle that was driving me nuts was actually a pen rolling around under the amp :wacko: