Tramlining with new tyres

Sagey

Dear forum

I have recently had 2 new Potenza RE05A's fitted to the rear with the same on the front, albeit they are quite worn (need changing in 2-3 months).

Driving on the motorway last couple of times I have noticed the tendancy for the car to tramline quite a bit but also like the back end is twitching/snaking a little from side to side (sometimes doesnt feel that safe to be honest). Maybe I am being over sensitive but this has only started happening since I bought new tyres.

Has anyone else felt this happening? maybe its because the front and back tyres are not worn evenly which effects how they behave?

Appreciate any assistance

it seems to have happened since I had the rear tyres fitted 2 months ago by a recommeded local garage in Bristol. Had a wheel geometry check also by Nissan main dealer as though it was this and now thats sorted it hasnt changed anything..

Maybe its the dodgy road surfaces in the Uk...drove in France to Le Mans and didnt notice on the long motorway stretches..

Legal minimum is 1.6mm, although I would start thinking seriously about changing about 2mm at the very least on 050As as the grip drops off dramatically when these tyres start getting worn, more so than other tyres. You've got quite a difference between front and rear grip atm which is why the back feels a bit wandery: It's not that so much as you've got much less grip at the front so it's understeering, and even in a straight line that will lead to a numbness from the front.

My advice would be to drop the front tyre pressure by 2psi to help load the tyres up a bit (so 33F 35R), see you how get on with that. The only other alternative really is to change the fronts, pop the cost on a credit card if you can't do it all in one go. After all, the tyres are the only thing keeping you in contact with the road so it's vital they're in good condition. :)

You did not say what the tyres were that you had on the rear before the change. If they were not 050A's and more of a budget tyre their softer side walls may have something to do with the tramlining you are now getting as the 050A's have quite a stiff side wall and combined with the worn front tyres that is accentuating the different feel.

I have found that once you get some good heat into 050A's the tramlining effect reduces. (Something that is more noticeable on the 370, than I found on the 350, as the front end is more sensitive)

But to fully enjoy your car a new set of matching front tyres is a must :thumbs:

Legal minimum is 1.6mm, although I would start thinking seriously about changing about 2mm at the very least on 050As as the grip drops off dramatically when these tyres start getting worn, more so than other tyres. You've got quite a difference between front and rear grip atm which is why the back feels a bit wandery: It's not that so much as you've got much less grip at the front so it's understeering, and even in a straight line that will lead to a numbness from the front.

Yep, that understeering in a straight line is a bitch. ;)

Having run every combination of tyres in the known universe, from brand new RE050's to tyres on the wire, I would personally say your tramlining is not related to the grip of your tyres. It may well be related to the inflation, or your cars alignment, Id be checking them first. :)

However, Ekona is right that you need to be considering changing the fronts, Id certainly make sure you have them done before actual winter starts. :thumbs:

Cheers

I had RE05A's on before as I value decent tyres.

Must be the difference in tread wear between front and back so I'll drop the pressure by 2 psi on the fronts and see if makes a difference (until I change them).

Thanks all :)