My car is driving itself!!!!!

waltzinblack

So today's trip to Halfords to try and clean my screen with clays and stuff turned into a trip to the garage for a new battery and air filter and cleaning the throttle body.

Yep.. in Halfords car park she wouldn't start. Had to get the Halfords man to push and push start it. Luckily that worked and all was well driving to the garage. I assumed it would either be a dead battery from sitting in the bodyshop for so long, or the throttle body was filthy as the car is approaching 60k miles and have heard this is a good time to clean them!

Sooo.. indy garage changed the battery for me and took the intake pipe off to clean the throttle body (may as well, right?). They also put a new filter in because the old stock one was filthy! I don't know what filter they put in, but it can't be worse than that dirty one. Engine now starts incredibly well.. but we have a problem:

I think the mechanic disturbed the butterfly valve. The car starts and runs fine, but with A/C on it idles at about 1300rpm. Also, driving around the throttle response seems very sharp.. too sharp in fact. And if I'm driving around in any gear, I don't have to touch the accelerator. I assume because of the high idle, the engine just keeps it going enough for the car to move - it's like cruise control! And when I put the clutch down the Revs take a second or so to drop, and they then drop only to 1300rpm.. so they may as well not drop at all haha.

I've tried all the resetting procedures but have no way of knowing if I've done them right or not. Or, indeed, if I've done them at all! Any tips? Anyone who could help? If someone's done them before successfully/is pretty confident at diagnosing things on a Z would you be willing to let me drive to you to have a look?

:dummy:

I did.. they tried the resetting procedures too. They offered to try and fix it for free but I need the car really, so I said I would see if I could find some more answers/tips/help in the meantime and bring it back when I'm not so busy.

I would say their offer to fix it for free is very nice seeing as they caused the problem!

Erratic revs etc sounds like a problem with the butterfly valve as you said and not sure any amount of resetting will sort that out :headhurt:

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

Operation Procedures

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.

2. Turn ignition switch is “ONâ€.

3. Turn ignition switch is “OFF†wait at least 10 seconds.

Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

That one? But how on EARTH is that supposed to do anything? that's just turning the engine on and off. And what do you do if the throttle valve doesn't move if you don't hear the sound? :(

Also in this one:

Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)

It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.

Operation Procedures

1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learningâ€.

2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learningâ€.

3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.

4. Turn ignition switch “OFF†and wait at least 10 seconds.

5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON†and wait 3 seconds.

6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.

7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)

7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.

9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.

10. Start engine and let it idle.

11. Wait 20 seconds.

12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

With steps 6-8.. is the ignition supposed to be off? Or are you supposed to be essentially revving the engine fully 5 times in 5 seconds and then redlining it for 20 seconds? Because between 5 and 6 it doesn't specifically mention turning the ignition off again. Surely not...

In 5 it says ignition on, not start engine ;)

Indeed it does! Hahah. Forgive me, I've had a stressful and tiring day even excluding car issues! Well I will go and try them again and see what happens! Can't see how the first two do anything though.. I mean I'm sure they would if done correctly, but they just seem too simple!

Have to say it was quite fun having fake cruise control though.

Yeah that's what I'm planning. One last question though, when you do the 5 times in 5 seconds thing, is it better to stamp and then jump off the pedal for maximum speed? or will it only work if you do it smoothly or does it not matter?

When I did the ECU reset it doesn't matter as long as you fully release it and fully press it down... :thumbs: I favour the stamp method as it gives more stress relief :lol:

So I tried it with a stopwatch - no luck.

Tried it again - no luck.

Tried it AGAIN and then went for a drive in case it needed to settle down - no luck.

Tried it when I got back and it still hadn't worked. Was VERY close to coming back and crying my eyes out on here.

But then my mate was walking past, and offered to hold the stop watch and give me cues when to do things right on the dot.

IT WORKED! :scare::yahoo: now happily idling at around 850 with the AC ON. Throttle body clean and new filter seem to have made the car a very little bit smoother driving around too! The car can still drive itself though. Is this just because of the torque? I swear you can't just drive along without touching the gas pedal? It just crawls along in 3rd at like 8mph and I don't have to do a thing!

My VXR8 will cruise at 12 mph in 3rd without stalling.

Every car I have ever drove (inclusing 1.0l micra's) will move along in 1st or 2nd on their own. It's down to gearing.

And :yahoo: for the forum helping prevent another member suffer a cardiac arrest!

Yeah, it'll happily drive along on just the clutch without stalling - Until you get to a bit of a slope anyway! Nothing to worry about there.

Don't you just love having more torque than a torquey thing in torqueland owned my Mr McTorque? :teeth:

Note to anyone who comes across this thread looking for the reset procedures: TIMING IS ESSENTIAL. You'd think that even when they say that in the instructions you might get a bit of leeway but you really don't! It will solve any idling probs as a result of cleaning your throttle body though!

And Lexx.. my old Instructor told me it wouldn't work, and indeed in his 0.1 millilitre diesel fiesta it didn't :( Tried just rolling and the clutch and it would stall. Same in the Saxo, but then that car is on the brink of blowing up so can't expect it to behave normally!

Your mechanic should have totally remove the battery before taking out the throttle body as it messes up the idle sensor. I guess he didnt.

You will need to try those reset procedures and see if they work, try disconnecting the battery over night and see if that helps as well.

Your mechanic should have totally remove the battery before taking out the throttle body as it messes up the idle sensor. I guess he didnt.

You will need to try those reset procedures and see if they work, try disconnecting the battery over night and see if that helps as well.

Yeah, I've realised after seeing the guides... I'm sure the battery was out when he did it though (because it needed a new one anyway!) I was there beside him the whole time. Either way, the reset procedures have been done and seem to have worked perfectly! :drunk:

And Lexx.. my old Instructor told me it wouldn't work, and indeed in his 0.1 millilitre diesel fiesta it didn't :( Tried just rolling and the clutch and it would stall. Same in the Saxo, but then that car is on the brink of blowing up so can't expect it to behave normally!

If you were on the flat then you werent gentle enough with throttle control getting it down to idle revs. Every car I've driven will pootle along in 1st and 2nd on idle revs on the flat with no throttle input. Zed has lots of torque, so I'd imagine it will do it in 3rd/4th and possibly 5th :lol:

When it snowed last year I was stuck on the A33 and some chap tried to give me a push. He kept moaning about the wheels spinning and gave me some crap about putting it into a higher gear and revving it less. I was in 3rd and idle revs and it still span. Got moving again eventually after a few more people helped out. Many beemers didnt make it up that hill but little old Zed did on idle revs and 2nd gear :teeth: