Extreme Window Cleaner

waltzinblack

Ok guys and girls.. perhaps someone could help...

My windscreen is in a particularly bad state. In the sunlight it is clear how filthy it is. Washing the car doesn't shift it, wipers + screenwash don't shift it.. jet washing does nothing. WHAT CAN I DO? :thumbdown:

I've tried liberal applications of the spray on screen cleaners.. but nothing seems to work. It can only properly be noticed in sunlight, and today when the sun shined directly at me as it was setting.. with the visor down the dirt in the sun gave me dangerously low levels of visibility.

All I can think of is trying some sort of abrasive cleaner...?

It seems to just be a hard ingrained mix of dirt and road scum, along with a new dusty sort of covering after it came out of the bodyshop (I'm guessing particles that came off from the paper when it was masked up? That doesn't seem to be cleaning off either!)

Any ideas? I can't deal with these filthy windows, especially not on sunny days!

I think what you are seeing is small spots of over spray. It happenned with me as well.

White spirit or any sort of tinnners will take it out. Use it with a cloth and gently wipe the glass, it should come off very easy.

Cool.. will try the glass polish. I only put a thread up because I was trying so many different products that claimed they 'remove the toughest dirt and grime' etc etc and they did nothing!

PS.. over spray???

When spraying cars, you get paint that over sprays in the air ect and most of this should get sucked up with the extractor but some may not and therefore will settle on the glass (which should have been covered properly). Most paint tinners or white spirits which you can get from B&Q will remove it very easily, and leave no dirt behind.

Give it a go, I had this problem before and I am sure it is the same thing you have. :)

lint free cloth, hold ontop of open bottle, tip.

take cloth with WS on and apply to window.

avoid rubbing the painted area.

also might be worth cleaning the inside with a nice clean cloth, some times you may find that the inside has a haze to it, especially if it hasn't been cleaned for a while.

lint free cloth, hold ontop of open bottle, tip.

take cloth with WS on and apply to window.

avoid rubbing the painted area.

also might be worth cleaning the inside with a nice clean cloth, some times you may find that the inside has a haze to it, especially if it hasn't been cleaned for a while.

Il second that. Its unreal the amount of stuff you will find on the inside of the windows,especially the windscreen. Id give that ago first,and then wipe the exterior down with some alcohol based solution..

I think I'll give the clay a go. Everything I'm reading makes it sound like the right stuff.. rubs off dirt and over spray that has bonded that won't be shifted by washing.

I sort of don't really trust that the alcohol ones will work.. in my mind any sort of cleaning liquid just can't shift it - I've tried so many! And as for white spirit, I'm too scared about my paint. lol

Would one piece of clay be enough for all the windows on the car?

If you want to increase the optical quality of the glass, also do the insides of the windows. I use Rain X (in the black box, or packet if you can't buy boxed). Apply on a cloth, and once it's dried, use a proper microfibre cloth designed for cleaning glass to thoroughly rub the insides of the windows to ensure you've removed all the excess or it will appear smeary at night time. This stuff definitely helps to increase the optical quality of the inside, used alongside the Rain X Yellow on the exterior glass. Rain X yellow obviously once you've got the overspray removed, although this stuff will move a bit of it, if the Clay Bar has missed any bits.

http://www.rainx.com/Products/Windshiel ... i-Fog.aspx