Standard Gearknob makeover

stuRS

Hi all,

Thought I'd show you what I got up to on Sunday. It cost me a few swirts of laquer and about an hour but I'm really pleased with the results.

Basically removed gearknob, carefully removed old laquer and gave the top surface a going over with wire wool, masked it up and gave it two coats of clear to finish it off.

A good alternative to spending the £140+ for a new knob, providing the leather is in good nick that is.

Stu

I used gloss laquer purely because it was kicking about in the garage! To be honest, matt might have been better, but I'm really happy with the finish.

Bob - I've got double din, reverse cam, front cam (oh yes), nismo V2 front, stubby and wheel centres on the list this month. It's getting out of hand.

Sounds like a classic case of Zeditis to me B);)

I used gloss laquer purely because it was kicking about in the garage! To be honest, matt might have been better, but I'm really happy with the finish.

Bob - I've got double din, reverse cam, front cam (oh yes), nismo V2 front, stubby and wheel centres on the list this month. It's getting out of hand.

• 2 months later...

I think the standard ones go for well over £100 new.

I mentioned to R55LEE that I can sort worn gearknobs out (not knobs - I'm not that kind of man) and I may buy a handful off him and do a batch for fun.

Mine's holding up nicely by the way, no signs of wear yet

Stu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...