brake problem.grinding on newish yellowstuff pads.

skidder

hi all,

thanks for any advice in advance.

Bought yellowstuff pads 600 miles ago.Running OEM brembo discs.All seemed well.Squeaky for a while but turned out ok.Now seem to have a grinding noise on slow or heavy breaking(very noticeable,seems like when pads are low, metal on metal).

Also seems to be heavy wear on offside rotor, nearside is ok.

Do I need to invest in new rotors?

Phoned a mechanic I know and he says might be the new pads, give it a bit of time..

Its just bothering me now as I know my brakes are seriously important.

Also only had the car 4 months.

Don't mind spending a bit of dough but just want the best option.

Cheers

Chris

my yellowpads where REALLY aggressive on my rotors ((non-brembo setup)). Uneven wear of rotors make no sense unless you have different braking from different calipers. Did you measure the discs at all to see if they're shot?

• 2 weeks later...
Check that the discs are not lipped, would explain initial squealing.

+1 and potentially the grinding, it would also prove that your braking is not efficient either.

I put Performance friction pads on my oem brembo disks and lets just say the wear was uneaven after 12 months.

Changed rotars and pads, made a MASSIVE improvement!! Oh and no squeal either :thumbs:

Another option would be to skim the disks, if there's life still in them.

It smells like a sticky caliper to me...easy to detect. Remove caliper, check movement of pistons with brake fluid lid off, remove dust seals and then recheck piston movement. Washing the pistons with brake fluid and a brush always helps :)