NEW M74 EXTENSION

Jixaman

I dont usually post about roads but the new M74 extension, what a road...

Southbound is best (the start of it, going up and over then curving down and left under the bridge, outstanding)...

Wish it was better than a 50 zone though as its a real nice stretch of tarmac...

Yes, it's a superb extension, made my life so much easier as I go out to Rutherglen and East End a fair bit from Partick so means right thru the tunnel and onto the M74, brilliant.

As you say it's a pity they have throttled the speed limits on it. It's never made much sense to me why you can go out on single track country road and be doing 60 yet travel on a 3 lane motorway and be limited to 50.....

I'm surprised they haven't fitted average speed cameras ALA M42 or similar. It's also a pain if you are in the City centre and need to get on it, bit of a faff coming across the Kingston Bridge and not being able to directly access it heading west on M8.

That said, it is a fast journey now to Braehead, eh Neil ;)

I'm surprised they haven't fitted average speed cameras ALA M42 or similar. It's also a pain if you are in the City centre and need to get on it, bit of a faff coming across the Kingston Bridge and not being able to directly access it heading west on M8.

That said, it is a fast journey now to Braehead, eh Neil ;)

Haha it is a very fast route to braehead, I think it we may be in the guiness book of records 2012 for that one :lol::lol:

It's a great bit of motorway, and as said, very frustrating speed limits.

Everytime I have went down the extension, I have seen numerous police cars pulling people for speeding. It seems they have also had a crackdown on speeders on the old stretch of the M74. I guess they don't want to have a fatality on the new stretch of road...

The tarmac is so smooth and its relatively underused at the moment as it permeates more into the public consciousness, I find myself bombing down there the wrong side of seventy without it really registering. Need to pay more attention!