Been a long road......

Zugara

Glrnet need not apply....... :p:p:p:lol:

Summary.

Last summer my car started pinking.

Called Nissan at Southampton to have them look at it, but they didnt know what pinking was, although they had heard of it.

Went to Abbey, No fault found. Hmmm maybe I am hearing things....Nope Deffo pinking. :bang:

Fast forward to last saturday,

Went to Horsham Developments, Yes there was a knock error displayed on the laptop, although no fault found, even after swapping out an O2 sensor.

Been in PM conversation with Alex..... :thumbs:

Today....

Went to a company called Smile, in Porstmouth, Service chap down there worked on zeds for last 8 years, been trained in japan on these engines, got the sticker and 7th dan black belt to boot.....no, really nice guys.

Plugged the car onto the consort machine, no fault found :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Got talking to another Nissan mech who mentioned that they had an RX8 with similar issues, Mazda swapped out the engine. All good.

Six months later the guy with the RX 8 rocks up again with same problem.

Mazda take engine apart to find that the rotor tips are burnt out. New engine required. Turns out the owner had been putting in mineral oil into the car, in turn this had chuffed the engine. He gets to foot the bill..... :scare:

So, I asked him, do you think it could be my oil needs changing then?

Him. Worth a shot, and its your cheapest option.

Me. OK, give me what I need.

Paid, home, oil changed, filter changed.

Pinking now seems to have gone, hard as I try after changing the oil, I cant get the engine to Pink.

Awaiting more miles with new oil onboard to verify that this has cured my Pinking issues.

Although I did read on the USA 350 site that old oil can cause pinking.

So the car was definitely pre-detonating but no fault code ever came up? I'd suggest getting your knock sensor changed as well while you're at it, as if the engine was knocking that badly for you to hear it then it should definitely have registered a code.

When was your last oil change, and what oil was used?

So the car was definitely pre-detonating but no fault code ever came up? I'd suggest getting your knock sensor changed as well while you're at it, as if the engine was knocking that badly for you to hear it then it should definitely have registered a code.

When was your last oil change, and what oil was used?

I could hear the knocking, all be it for a fraction of a second, which was confirmed by Jez and his laptop software.

According to Horsham developments, knock reading on their Cypher software was peeking at 1007.....

No fault code has ever shown up, this is what the confusion is, and why has no code been thrown.

Oil is semi-synthetic, 10-50. Was last changed circa this lime last year by Nissan on its P3. Problem started around late September last year.

I can only assume that the P3 service was never carried out, although the book is stamped, but no paper check list ever produced.

Car had only covered 2500 miles from when I bought it to when the problem started. Maybe they put in cheap mineral oil when they supposedly did the P3 service.

Called the dealers where I bought the car, KJM Reading,to confirm that the P3 had been done, only to be told that they went bust last year, and All their records have been destroyed.

Called another Nissan garage to see if they could cross reference service history between branch's to be told that Nissan dont have a database for all Nissan outlets.

Hey Zugara. Do you reckon it had something to do with Nissan putting the wrong oil in of 10w 50 at your P3?? They really can be rubbish!

Martins at Winchester did my P3 last Jan and put in 10w 40 even though it should be 5w 30 according to the owners manual and also Tim at OPIE.. Just ordered 5l of Millers XSS 5w 30 from OPIE on a cracking deal, as thought it was low but rubbish dipstick was telling me lies and its actually still on H after 7 months, so will just keep it ready for next service :thumbs:

Are you local to down this Soton/Winch neck of the woods then?

Stroudy..

Glad you got it sorted. Seems odd that an oil change would stop the knock - but if it has, it has :)

Has it made any difference to the exhaust tip soot differences?

Not as yet Jez, thats still a mystery. Any Ideas?

Yep, so far so good on the knock, how long for though is anyones guess.