Aluminium Wheel Nuts

coldel

Just hunting around for some and someone on here made a quite valid point about aluminium ones being less reliable than steel wheel nuts - any views on this? It makes sense, aluminium certainly isnt as strong as steel, do they shred often or easily?

load of bull! its said just to cover their ass.

Alloy ones are fine for multiple use, Just don't go internal drive small diameter, as they will round off! Always external drive.

My works brand TPI ones have never had a problem, our even have lockers in the set. so all nuts are coloured :)

Brand names are a load of cack, they are all similar quality just branded. Id put TPI on mine over Rays any day and pocket the extra £30

Saying that, i do use steel on mine lol mainly because I was allowed them from work for free lol

I bought a set of the D1 spec gold ones for £32. I've only had them on the car for a week so I cannot comment on how reliable they are. This is the thread you may be referring to: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=50306

I had just washed the car so the wheels were wet and discs were rusted. Some pics are from before the wash when they were just fitted.

Photos:

photo2-17.jpg

photo3-15.jpg

photo1-12.jpg

photo51.jpg

photo116.jpg

photo213.jpg

photo310.jpg

Can I refer you here?:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=500021

We really do not recommend them, and especially advise against them on OEM wheels as they often as not designed for the 60 degree tapered seat of an after-market nut :)

They're specifically not allowed in the blue book and at all FIA events. We have no end of issues with them, so despite being able to sell them if people would like them, for show cars and the likes, we have taken it upon ourselves to stock tuner nuts, normal nuts and spline drive nuts all in a variety of colours so people can have the look without the potential agro :)

Crikey didnt like the look of that other thread!

Basically I am after some black wheel nuts that lock, I don't want 16 plus an odd looking locking one from my standard wheels.

Tez, are you talking about something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TPI-BLACK-WHEEL-NUTS-%20-LOCKERS-SUBARU-NISSAN-12x1.25_W0QQitemZ260780281992QQcmdZViewItem

i see your caution in selling them, it could be potential agro on track cars, I have only ever personally seen problems with internal drive alloy nuts though. Best bet is coloured steel nuts! Looks and reliability in one. Do you stock our TPI Coloured steel range there at rare rims?

OK ordered, cheers guys, set of black spline nuts on the way :teeth:

What is worrying, is that the guy who sold me the wheels also gave me some RAYS wheel nuts in blue, which I think might be aluminium ones...

Not sure which ones you are looking at on eBay as I can't access that at work. I have these - and they are fine. Only issue being is the nut size is not Metric, they are Imperial, as such your wheel brace will not function correctly with these and I had to get hold of a long throw Imperial size socket. Problem solved, and they look the Nuts!! (pardon the pun)

rays_sale.jpg

OK ordered, cheers guys, set of black spline nuts on the way :teeth:

What is worrying, is that the guy who sold me the wheels also gave me some RAYS wheel nuts in blue, which I think might be aluminium ones...

Looks like I was too late.... :blush:

i used ones very similiar to these but in black

http://www.trackculture.com/shop/wheels ... kages.html

they are steel internal drive nuts, and they are brilliant, i know a few places that do them in different colours as well. and each nut acts as a locking wheel nut as you need the special tool.

as for using light weight ally wheel nuts, when they were used in motorsport they were designed as a single use item, basically onces you take them off you bin them. the other thing i've seen ally wheel nuts do is sheer off leaving half the nut on the wheel but nothing to grip on to to take them off with.

there was a thread ages ago of a lad who cut his alloy up to get the nut off. i'd only use steel ones, and i prefer internal drive as it makes it a lot safer on fitting so that you won't damage the paint on the wheel when your tightening or loosening them.

if you did get external drive, then get hold of a plstic sleeved socket, or wrapa socket up in masking tape; lots of masking tape to act like a cushion. ;)