Has anyone on here owned a Mk4 Golf R32?

SteveRS

Never owned an R32, but had a mk4 golf. Check out the uk-mkivs forum, loads of useful advice and things on there to give you some idea as to what a mk4 golf and in particular the r32 is like.

Personally I loved my mk4 golf, in fact had it for 4 or 5 years as it was so nice to drive and cheap to run / maintain. Always fancied getting the r32 version, but the prices were just out of my range at the time. Only thing I didnt like about the mk4 is that they are common as muck. Mine was a silver one, and id see litterally hundreds of silver mk4 golfs on the road.

Never owned an R32, but had a mk4 golf. Check out the uk-mkivs forum, loads of useful advice and things on there to give you some idea as to what a mk4 golf and in particular the r32 is like.

Personally I loved my mk4 golf, in fact had it for 4 or 5 years as it was so nice to drive and cheap to run / maintain. Always fancied getting the r32 version, but the prices were just out of my range at the time. Only thing I didnt like about the mk4 is that they are common as muck. Mine was a silver one, and id see litterally hundreds of silver mk4 golfs on the road.

Thats the only issue i have that golfs are quite common and having owned a zed before i do like the fact that people stop and stare. :blush:

a friend of mine had an r32 and loved it, he got it due to needing more space for family and general use. great cars in my eyes.

whats your price range? ive just lowered my zed

Im looking for a zed with the nismo kit fitted, preferably facelift. I find the R32 quite appealing because of the extra seats and boot space and you still get the speed to go with it.

I had a three-door MK4 R32 in black when I was 20, and it was the best car I've ever owned. It really was fantastic; the noise, the character and the exclusivity of the car combined with the solid VW interior and engineering made the car a real treat.

It wasn't great on fuel, and thieves absolutely love them but I really enjoyed owning one. Maybe it was because I was fairly young and it was the first really powerful car I had, but it's the only car I regret selling. Just look at how they hold their value as well, definitely a future classic.

Maybe you'll find it underwhelming or mundane, but personally I thought it was great. Go out and test drive one.

The R32 was a serious contender when i was selling the Zed and again when i was selling the S2000. i really like them, very much a stealth car, not a lot to give them away apart from the twin exhaust, the badge and the wheels. i loved the Mk4 recaro seats, looked stunning. tip is to go for the part leather ones, as the full leather ones tended to stretch in the middle section and look saggy.

difficult to find good quality low mile ones or un molested ones but they are the best to go for, preferably the blue, or the black look best. engines are pretty solid, tended to have a few minor issues like needing new coil packs etc, but nothing major, and no different to run really compared to the zed.

power and performance is not disimiliar to the zed, both are very smooth, both are deceptive of how fast your actually going. would say the R32 has the nicer interior over the Zed, really nice blue dash and dials.

really good extras to get and worth a look on you tube are things like the milltek unresonated exhaust, makes the V6 come alive, and really is a stunning sound, would possibly say better than the zed.

driving wise; the R32 is a good drive, the haldex 4wd system is nice, can;t always tell when it does or does not kick in , but the car does stick well in the corners. far easier to chuch around on country roads as there is a lot more grip. but would possibly say the Zed is a little more rewarding to drive if comparing stock against stock car. the haldex works as a front wheel drive car but kicks in the rears with power if they start to slip. you can get haldex controllers that alllow you to shift the bias of % to the rear over the fronts i think.

if you like the R32 the other option is the early audi S3's same car, but instead of a V6 its a turbo unit and you can easily tune the nuts off them for silly power.

R32 wise, i liked thedrive of the mk5 but loved the seats in the Mk4, the mk5 was more refined, and i loved the DSG box in it. both good cars and you can't really loose out as they hold their price well.

as a replacement for the Zed, its got to be a personal decision, i think its a good one, but you'll need to test drive it yourself to decide. ;)

This one has just come up on pistonheads

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2916054.htm

Tidy looking but looks like it has the infamous saggy leather bucket seats.

Seats look fine to be honest, when you've seen a few, you'll know what i mean. forgot to mention they are konig seats, not recaro :blush: force of habit. i like the look of the all leather ones, just treat them well and they should be fine, use a good leathe care package on it and they should stay in good nick.

I must admit, for me i have never been a fan of Golfs, i just think that everyone has them, and i mentally link them to estate agents, and sales men who have a company car.

Really common, and dont look special to me at all, also personally i think they just look really dated, and as they are so common if you do see peeps who mess with extrernally them they start to look a bit chav. IMHO...

On the other hand the Scirocco i really like, test drove one a year or so ago and was really tempted, i have seen a few really nice examples and by all accounts are realativly easy to tune up...although price wise its in a different league...

forgot to mention they are konig seats, not recaro :blush: force of habit.

Yep, from what i remember the r32`s were the konig seats which had the bits which stick out near your shoulders for extra support.

The recaros were on the GTi`s (both petrol & diesel) but not all GTi`s, some had what were called the VW "Sports" seats, which were similar to recaro`s, but didnt have as deep side supports. The recaro interiors also had the middle headrest on the back seat, where as the "sport" seats only had 2 headrests in the back.