Moderate Mod on an SC Zed (Very Pic Heavy)

Keyser

OK Decided that as I bought the Zed to play with and the weather was so nice! today was the day for my first play! :D

The aim for the day was to address three things -

1. Sluggish turnover

2. SC Drive belt slip/squeal

3. Modify the "Pinch rollers" to match the arrangement's I have seen on the American SC cars. This is because I think it will work better and will be ready for when I drop the jack pulley down to the 3.12.

Few people to thank first -

Big thanks to Triji from my350z.com who's post gave me the guidance I basically copied what he has done although I'm running 2 smaller idlers, he is using 1 bigger idler. His post can be viewed here - http://my350z.com/forum/forced-inductio ... diy-6.html

(I have copied 1 or 2 of his pics as well)

Steady Zeddy - For his continued support and information about this Zed (for those of you that don't know he was the previous owner)

Andlid - for suggestions and advice

Sam Mcgoo - for sharing information on his SC Zed

Captain - For posting up about the track day, gave me the kick up the backside I needed to get on and get my Zed sorted for the up and coming shoot out. :boxing:

Buster - honorary mention as he helps me out a lot - but he came up with some lame excuse today :p

------------------------------

On with the show -

Problem number 1 sluggish turnover - That was easy charge the bloody battery :blush::lol: Steady told me it was new and she's been sat for 2 weeks outside doing nothing (waiting for DVLA paperwork) and 4 days at the garage for MOT zorst etc with several start/stops on the ramps off the ramps.

This is going to be easy!

Out the garage and onto the ramps -

Ramps2.jpg

Ramps1.jpg

What? O I haven't built the garage yet (that will be another build thread LOL)and they are the only ramps I have :)

Did I say this was going to be easy? Wrong first thing I find is a puddle of petrol under the car - that explains the smell of un-burnt fuel at start up!

Leak1.jpg

Leak2.jpg

the offending piece cut off

Leak3.jpg

All fixed :)

Leakrepaired.jpg

Onto the slip well as you can see in the next few pics the belt has become way too loose

Slack1.jpg

Slack2.jpg

I can take the belt of without undoing the tensioning pulley

Slack3.jpg

Before anyone calls me a sissy or a wimp for wearing gloves I didn't want to chip my nails LOL

Now I could just tighten the belt but it rubs slightly -

Rub1.jpg

Rub2.jpg

Rub3.jpg

It is also throwing bits of half melted rubber belt all over my engine bay and bonnet :rant:

Rubberguck1.jpg

Rubberguck2.jpg

This is a known issue and I found this mod has been used to solve the problem

cover2.jpg

Also the I wanted to change the pinch roller setup - this was my setup

Asis1.jpg

This is Triji's setup

Trijifin.jpg

The idea is to keep the belt wrapped around the pulley for longer - more contact = more grip = less slip simples.

So to work

Stripped her down -

Strip1.jpg

cleaned the worst of the crap off

Strip1cleaned.jpg

In the pic above you can see where the bolt for my top idler is, this is where Triji marks his to be -

Trijiholepos.jpg

Not to be out done LOL

Markingout.jpg

New position marked

Drilling.jpg

drilled.jpg

By this time the garage looked like this

Halfway.jpg

I also spilled blood!!!!! :dummy:

Blood.jpg

anyway out with the tap and die set - nightmare as the bar that turns it will not fit so I had to improvise

Tap1.jpg

Got there in the end

Tapped.jpg

Quick test

Bolttest.jpg

All looking good so far :thumbs:

so start lining bits up

Testalignment.jpg

I'm happy with that now to address the rub which I have now made worse as the upper belt run will now cross the front of the cam cover, so I marked the belt lines with a pencil

Markingforgrinding.jpg

Out with the angle grinder and Dremel (but my version of a Dremel is bigger and air powered :p )

Grinding.jpg

Test fit see how I'm doing - I want minimal clearance the less taken off the better

Testfitgrind.jpg

Bit more grinding

Grind1.jpg

after a few attempts I get it where I'm happy so a quick deburr and polish

Polishing.jpg

Polished.jpg

Came out alright and doesn't look too DIY (The flaming may start)

So bolt it all back together (at last)

Reassenbled.jpg

clearance is sweet no rub

Refited.jpg

refitted1.jpg

Nice new belt fitted (Thanks Steady - he gave me a spare) Set the tension and fired her up - yes it started first time :yahoo: took a few attempts to get it spot on and no slip on start up (for now at least)........

Time is getting on and the "garage" is now in this state

Gettinglate.jpg

So tidy everything up, put the tools away followed by a quick test drive to the (not so) local Chinese for a well earned take away (Now that's FAST food). :lol:

Thanks for reading - thought I'd do a Wasso and document my progress on here it may even help somebody out or give them the confidence to have a go themselves.

Happy Zedding.

Just one comment.... :lol:

Why did you have the "wooden chocks" on the wrong side of the rear wheels :shrug::blush:

Good job, but looking at the position of the Pinch roller you repositioned, I would have said there is a lot of tension on the

bolt that holds it on the mounting plate, You may be better off, if you can to get a nut on the back of that bolt as well. Just a thought. :dry:

Oh, I would also get the builders back who put up your garage, They seem to have put a cling-on cloaking device around it..... :lol::lol::lol:

Good work. :thumbs:

Nice find on the split fuel hose. When I fitted my Return Fuel System I noticed mine had started to split in that exact place too so replaced the hose. It's not that far from the De-cats so I might get a bit of heat wrap round mine there to try and prolong the life of the rubber.

Its good to see the pinch roller fitment in case I ever need to do it. Funny how some people suffer from slip more than others. :shrug:

You know your gonna have to polish up the other cam cover to match now don't you. ;):p

Interesting and captivating at the same time.

Good to see a flow if photos. Whenever I do work on the car I take the before photos get to work, totally forget about taking photos as I'm so engrosed that I forget to take any at all until it's done. :doh:

Just one question, with the extra tension, will that create extra friction and cause the belt to wear sooner?

Good work by the way :thumbs:

Just one comment.... :lol:

Why did you have the "wooden chocks" on the wrong side of the rear wheels :shrug::blush:

Good job, but looking at the position of the Pinch roller you repositioned, I would have said there is a lot of tension on the

bolt that holds it on the mounting plate, You may be better off, if you can to get a nut on the back of that bolt as well. Just a thought. :dry:

Oh, I would also get the builders back who put up your garage, They seem to have put a cling-on cloaking device around it..... :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

I'm in I.T not block location :lol: No seriously the picture dosen't really show how steep an angle my "garage" floor is at she wanted to roll that way!

Yes - massive load on that bolt, it does have a castle nut on the back already :p - (It had one when I took it off) but a good tip :thumbs: if it looks like its going to be a problem I will swap it for a hight tensile bolt as well.

It's not a "cling-on cloaking device" it's a goverment "We tax you so much you can't afford afford a garage" device :rant:

Good work. :thumbs:

Nice find on the split fuel hose. When I fitted my Return Fuel System I noticed mine had started to split in that exact place too so replaced the hose. It's not that far from the De-cats so I might get a bit of heat wrap round mine there to try and prolong the life of the rubber.

Its good to see the pinch roller fitment in case I ever need to do it. Funny how some people suffer from slip more than others. :shrug:

You know your gonna have to polish up the other cam cover to match now don't you. ;):p

I thought it was close to De-cats when I repaired it - I then thought O well the all are :) good call on the heat wrap.

Thats the second person who said you have to polish the other one! - Maybe another project - I was thinking of doing the APS as well :scare:

Interesting and captivating at the same time.

Good to see a flow if photos. Whenever I do work on the car I take the before photos get to work, totally forget about taking photos as I'm so engrosed that I forget to take any at all until it's done. :doh:

Just one question, with the extra tension, will that create extra friction and cause the belt to wear sooner?

Good work by the way :thumbs:

Thats why we think your a magician - You Post - I thought I'd do this today - here it is ;)

More tension = more wear but not as bad as the slip that will wreck a belt quicker, the bigger concern is heat as it is a fairly small pulley it will spin very quick, if it overheats it could seize :scare:

It has happend just going to keep an eye on it.

Thought....

You could "share" the load on the pinch pulleys if you got a strap made to go across both, bolted on behind the bolt heads.

I'm liking that idea a lot ! :thumbs:

May well have to look into that.......

Keep the ideas coming guys

MORE FI ON UK ZED's :#1:

Are jubilee clips the best thing to be using on the fuel hoses like that? Is there an alternative?

Don't know what could be used in there place? What's wrong with jubilee clips? got loads under my bonnet :D

Are jubilee clips the best thing to be using on the fuel hoses like that? Is there an alternative?

Don't know what could be used in there place? What's wrong with jubilee clips? got loads under my bonnet :D

Not saying there's anything wrong with them, just wondered if there's an alternative. Just looks like a bit of a "making do" solution where fuel is involved.

Not saying there's anything wrong with them, just wondered if there's an alternative. Just looks like a bit of a "making do" solution where fuel is involved.

Whats holding on your fuel line then out of interest?

The fuel line runs to a straight pipe without any male/female connectors so I'd be interested to know an alternative if it exists?

I changed that fuel line only a couple of months back after the old one corroded so I feel a bit guilty that it split at the bottom like that - fuel near a hot exhaust is not a good combo.

Also that SC belt must have really loosened itself on its long drive eastwards - I wasn't able to twist it much past 45 degress before I left from home.

great work though Chris - its great to see the Zed in such capable hands.

The fuel line runs to a straight pipe without any male/female connectors so I'd be interested to know an alternative if it exists?

I changed that fuel line only a couple of months back after the old one corroded so I feel a bit guilty that it split at the bottom like that - fuel near a hot exhaust is not a good combo.

Also that SC belt must have really loosened itself on its long drive eastwards - I wasn't able to twist it much past 45 degress before I left from home.

Couldn't tell you to be honest. It's just that I had that exact same issue on my Evo with the fuel line splitting where the jubilee clip was holding it on, following the fitting of a Walbro pump by the previous owner. I just wondered if there was an alternative because, as you point out, leaking fuel is potentially hazardous.

The only other alternatives I can think of are male female connectors but you would need the lines readymade (like the brake line kits) and as mentioned the pipe on the car is a straight metal pipe - I assume that like most cars when new they have the spring type locking clips on??? :shrug: however these are the same as a jubilee clip and are not reusable.

So it's all your fault then mate :lol:

If you hadn't looked after her so well the belt would be old and not have stretched on the drive over and the fuel line - well that would have gone anyway - as Sam said his was going inthe same place - could be a combination of heat and vibration. I'll add some heat wrap as suggested next time I'm underneath.

[......... I'll add some heat wrap as suggested next time I'm underneath.

You could buy a braided fuel hose but the OE hose is rubber so apparently Nissan don't see the relative proximity to a hot exhaust as an issue. I thought that putting two jubilee clips on would have done the trick but haven't a clue how the hose could split like that.

[......... I'll add some heat wrap as suggested next time I'm underneath.

You could buy a braided fuel hose but the OE hose is rubber so apparently Nissan don't see the relative proximity to a hot exhaust as an issue. I thought that putting two jubilee clips on would have done the trick but haven't a clue how the hose could split like that.

True but Nissan would say it's a perishable so not covered by warranty :lol: - Heat wrap would stop it going brittle for longer but not stop it splitting.

It may have got a small nick in it when tightened or its just vibrations - she's not "soft" on the suspension and you have seen my road!!!! :scare:

I'll check it in a week or so to be sure.