Am i being unresonable??

SteveRS

About 5 weeks ago i drove from surrey to liverpool to have a look at a nismo chilli red 350z 06 facelift with a very good and up to date service history. Knowing that the car had some scratch damage i was prepared to take a look as this could be repaired and the seller said he would take into consideration the cost of this when negotiating a price with me.

It basically needs the front end and rear bumper resprayed, the alloys need a refurb too, road tax is due at the end of july and the Mot is due at the end of june, it also had one very bald rear tyre and the other on its way. He was selling the zed for £12,750 so i took into consideration the work that needed doing to put everything right and offered him £10,500 which he turned down. So i told him to get back to me if he had no luck selling it.

The weeks have passed and the MOT renewal fast approaching he got back to me last week and said he would take £11,000. So i made a polite request that if he would be willing to MOT the zed i would be happy to pay £11k. He emailed me back saying he is not prepared to spend anymore on the car and wants to sell as it is. He hasn't even sorted the bald tyre after all this time!!! :scare: I emailed him back saying im happy to pay £11k but the car has to be road worthy................i've heard nothing back.

Am i being unreasonable asking him to pay for an MOT and any necessary changes to pass the MOT??

Sorry for the long winded story, im just looking for opinions. :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An MOT shouldnt be a deal breaker for the seller, unless he knows something you dont. I would leave it and see what he comes up with. Nobody is going to pay 11k for a car without and mot.

+1 - it must need more than a pair of rears to get it through its MOT :shrug:

Yeah this is what i cant understand, i think he still thinks the car is worth £12,750, but its really not, he has mentioned a few times how much he has dropped the price, but the car was never worth that from the beginning. There is no way im paying £11k for a car with no mot and then covering the cost myself, he will need to mot it come the end of the month anyway.

Absolutely not!

As mentioned in other posts to this site, large engine cars a extremely difficult to sell in this current climate, so to spend ELEVEN GRAND on a car which needs a fortunes worth of tyres spending on it, plus ANYTHING else which could be wrong with a 5 year old car is the minimum consideration in my view.

The guy sounds a tool, go further afield, get the right car, at the right price, patience will prevail....

Best of luck

At the end of the day. YOU will be spending 11k. If it turns out to be a lemon you will be kicking yourself. You dont have to buy it and there are always more.

Walk away, or get a full RAC check on it if needed.

The seller must know something that he doesnt want to tell you.

I know what everyone is saying about being a money pit and thats definitely something i dont want it to be. It did test drive well, no suspicious noises or anything like that, having had an 06 zed last year i now no what to look out for. The service history is good and had the latest service the week i went to see it. The guy could be finding it hard to come to terms with the amount of money the car has lost over the years, making him reluctant to spend on it. (Dont worry though i wont be touching it whilst it has no MOT.) Surely if there are any problems they will be rectified to pass the MOT?

Here's the link:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

It says the bodywork is in excellent condition but this is not true as he sent me pics of the paintwork damage before i went to view it.

Also my plan if i was to buy would be to sell the 19" LMGT4 alloys which need a refurb, this could pull back some money. I have a mint condition set currently sitting in my garage ready to go on my chosen zed.

i had to put new tyres on the S2k before i sold it, did it before i even put the ad up. it was a no brainer :shrug:, also machine polished the car, and got chips away out to tidy up the few stone chips. and made sure the car was stock. sold it in a week for the asking price, he'll struggle to shift it unless he pays out a little, even if he just put nankangs on the back it would at least make it road legal

He sounds like someone who can't be bothered and if that be the case the car maybe has some underlying problems which were never taken care of. When selling a car you pit it in tip top condition, if after the first offer the car was not sold and issues highlighted it would be in his interest to sort the tyre at least. He can't be bothered and I'd walk away. There are plenty more Zeds in the sea.

I'd want to see that someone loved their car and showed the greatest respect for the upkeep and condition. Although painful to leave a car behind there will be better examples at a better price and you'll know when that is ;)

Remember these cars cost a lot to maintain and to care for, you don't want to purchase one that needs "work"

I'd want to see that someone loved their car and showed the greatest respect for the upkeep and condition. Although painful to leave a car behind there will be better examples at a better price and you'll know when that is ;)

Remember these cars cost a lot to maintain and to care for, you don't want to purchase one that needs "work"

I see what your saying, and i totally agree if someone hasn't appreciated the car for what they are then its best left alone. Im too aware of how much they are to maintain as i found out when i had my first zed a year ago. Getting one for the summer may be doubtful evan though there are so many for the sale i have not yet seen the right one.

There is one here from a dealer unmolested, which you will have some "come back" on less money, same age few more miles though?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Im looking for a facelift with the nismo kit really, i just love the look of the car with the kit fitted. Martinmac kindly pointed me in the direction of his friend with a 55 plate chilli nismo a few weeks back, i just prefer the facelift interior and exterior improvements.

You'll get there in the end, have you tried Nissan dealers?

No haven't tried nissan dealers, could they source one do you think?

The first Zed I went to view was at a Nissan dealers in Bognor Regis and it was a dog, I guess it depends which dealer you go to as they seem to have variying standards as to what amounts to a "clean" car.

As long as its not mechanically a "dog" then no problem. We all understand the dealer and their lack of customer service, so cleaning a car is nothing too much to worry about. But if the dealer sells a car which has items such as worn tyres they are likely to replace or reduce price.

I see what you're saying and judgement should prevail to sift out the "dogs".

I found my car via the Nissan dealership website.

Totally agree with Wasso...

but, is this a dealer? Says "Family car forces sale" so I presume it is a private seller?

Personally, I would walk away. Someone who had let the car get to a point where it has a bald tire may/will have let OTHER things slide.

Like services... or even oil changes. Not good! :thumbdown: