Found the clunking noise-how much for a drop-link?

Chuck21

A good day in the land of Z!

Not only did the Z pass it's MOT with shredded tyres following consecutive Walshy day and track day (advisory but hey, that can wait!), they also found the source of the clunking that was driving me mad - predictably an ARB drop-link. Can anyone advise how much I should be paying for a new one to be fitted ?

Tyre-wise I was looking at Hankook Ventus V12's; they seem to get good reviews and will save me about £170 compared to Potenza's or similar. Has anybody tried them ?

Cheers!

A good day in the land of Z!

Not only did the Z pass it's MOT with shredded tyres following consecutive Walshy day and track day (advisory but hey, that can wait!), they also found the source of the clunking that was driving me mad - predictably an ARB drop-link. Can anyone advise how much I should be paying for a new one to be fitted ?

Tyre-wise I was looking at Hankook Ventus V12's; they seem to get good reviews and will save me about £170 compared to Potenza's or similar. Has anybody tried them ?

Cheers!

I seemed to have developed a rather anoying clunking noise at the rear myself, it's as though something is banging around in the boot but obviously there isn't!

I'm not very technically minded and always learning from you guys on here.......this may show my level of knowledge.....but what is a ARB Droplink??? :wacko:

ARB is Anti Roll Bar - the drop link essentially links the ARB to the suspension/chassis (I'm no expert though!).

Your noise sounds exactly like mine - I described it a someone knocking on the underside of the car as I went over bumps/uneven ground - not particularly loud but annoying nonetheless ! I mentioned it to the guy doing my MOT and he diagnosed it easily enough; the parts are £106 and should be about an hours labour to do both.

C

ARB is Anti Roll Bar - the drop link essentially links the ARB to the suspension/chassis (I'm no expert though!).

Your noise sounds exactly like mine - I described it a someone knocking on the underside of the car as I went over bumps/uneven ground - not particularly loud but annoying nonetheless ! I mentioned it to the guy doing my MOT and he diagnosed it easily enough; the parts are £106 and should be about an hours labour to do both.

C

Oh.....that would make perfect sense....exactly as you say I hear it on uneven surfaces or small speed humps but I have spent weeks thinging my spare was loose in the boot :bangin: and kept checking in case something may have changed since the last check.

Thanks for the info Chuck21; might have to loomat getting this sorted. Where are you getting the links? Any traders on here with the drop links?

Yip same here - sounds like a ball bearing being dropped on a plank of wood - sort of a dull clonk.

I bagged some of the cheap replacements off fleabay for about 25 squid. Not got round to replacing them yet though.

Clunks at low speed could also be Banana bar .......... but replace droplinks first

I must admit that after reading a few posts over the past few weeks, I had begun to worry that I may need to change my banana.......but after a quick initial search it seems changing these would be very expensive so I really hop this isn't the case :scare: May go down the drop link route first.

C

Oh.....that would make perfect sense....exactly as you say I hear it on uneven surfaces or small speed humps but I have spent weeks thinging my spare was loose in the boot :bangin: and kept checking in case something may have changed since the last check.

Thanks for the info Chuck21; might have to loomat getting this sorted. Where are you getting the links? Any traders on here with the drop links?

Got mine from ZMANALEX for £106 - seemed reasonable compared to dealer quotes.

C

sorry to jump in on this. But seems really relaven to my issue.

At low speeds I'm hearing a clunking and the odd occasion the sound of a ball rolling about. Any ideas what this may be? And what should I order?

Thanks guys

See above ! If it's coming from the rear underside of the car and the 'knocking' seems to be in time with the movement of the car as it goes over bumps etc then could well be the same issue. I understand there are other suspension components that can make a similar noise when worn though so probably worth having it checked out before shelling out.