Plenum off for polishing - throttle body dirty?

Ricey

Got the plenum off with the minimum of hassle (although no one mentioned all the damn hoses underneath the TB)

Throttle body looks pretty filthy to me but I read in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=40397&hilit=removing+the+plenum&start=15 to be very careful dicking around with it incase you cause the engine to go spaz when its put back together.

Any thoughts? Doesn't feel right to put it back on with all that gunge in it? Is carbon cleaner the answer and just steer clear of the butterfly valve?

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

The plenum chamber was fairly clear so I just wiped it with a clean cloth.

IMAG0273.jpg

something like carb cleaner sprayed in should do it. if i remember rightly i think that will just burn up in the engine when its injested.

or something like this http://www.ecotekplc.com/PowerBoost.htm that is sprayed in through the air intake and removes carbon etc. not sure if this stuff is the best, but there should be other alternatives.

lee says that's way too dirty, filter isn't doing its job.

Hmmmmm - its a normal pop charger? :shrug: Could it of been build up pre-pop charger?

I've cleaned it how but I can't get to the bits by the butterfly valve in case I upset something.

lee says that's way too dirty, filter isn't doing its job.

Hmmmmm - its a normal pop charger? :shrug: Could it of been build up pre-pop charger?

I've cleaned it how but I can't get to the bits by the butterfly valve in case I upset something.

if you upset it there is a TPS reset you can do and a pedal reset which should fix it if it throws a code

So just to clarify - If I want to clean under the butterfly valve I can move it albeit gently? Or am I best just leaving it and cleaning as close to it as I can without touching it?

To clarify - today has been a great success where I've taken the plenum off, polished it and even mended a drill that broke - to end it by ruining the throttle body would be most disastrous!

So just to clarify - If I want to clean under the butterfly valve I can move it albeit gently? Or am I best just leaving it and cleaning as close to it as I can without touching it?

To clarify - today has been a great success where I've taken the plenum off, polished it and even mended a drill that broke - to end it by ruining the throttle body would be most disastrous!

to be 100% ricey proof i would say don't touch it. and try that ecoboost foam spray.

to be daring i';d say have ago and if it doesn't like it a TPS reset should (fingers crossed) correct it. i just wouldn't be tilting it etc to get under it.

You are not cleaning under no 'Butterfly' Ricey :nono:

:lol::lol::lol: some ones been told :lol::lol::lol:

I mean, one minute a Manager for a Mortgage Company, next minute...........a 'know it all' Mechanic.

I've let him experiment with a few things, but listening to you guys talk about this 'butterfly' makes me nervous, especially with Ricey's DIY skills!! :scare:

I do love you though P (thats if he reads this, which no doubt he will after his fix of Wheeler Dealers) :p

You are not cleaning under no 'Butterfly' Ricey :nono:

:lol::lol::lol: some ones been told :lol::lol::lol:

I mean, one minute a Manager for a Mortgage Company, next minute...........a 'know it all' Mechanic.

I've let him experiment with a few things, but listening to you guys talk about this 'butterfly' makes me nervous, especially with Ricey's DIY skills!! :scare:

I do love you though P (thats if he reads this, which no doubt he will after his fix of Wheeler Dealers) :p

i'm an engineer by trade, and even my wife asks after i've done something " are you sure its ok?" :dry::rant::angry: she's just grown up with a family that rings for a man to come round and fix it, unlike me whos grown up fixing it yourself. and nothing i've done so far has fallen aprt or gone wrong :teeth:

Not sure if this would be the same operation,but when cleaning the throttle body on my leon cupra,I am able to,with someone sitting in the drivers seat they depress the accelerator which opens the butterfly valve allowing it to be cleaned no problems at all as long as they don't release the pedal while your cleaning it. Just for clarification the hose is removed from the TB and the TB is unbolted from the inlet mani.

This thread has made me want to ask a question...

What CAN I clean on/in the engine that will help her long term?

Taking the cover off to polish it is a top idea... although it will look good (Fine job you are doing Ricey!) it doesn't "help" then engine at all.

Where are I presume the cleaning of the throttle body would do, because keeping it clean means let chance of rust/crap build up/stuff falling into the engine.

So..... viewtopic.php?f=64&t=50328

How often with a stock airbox + filter do we need to clean the throttle body?

Just whip the intake pipe off and take a peek mate. If its dirty then give it a clean.

I have fuel air and NOS going through my throttle body and it's very clean. I wonder if the NOS and fuel act as a cleaning agent?

Every car I have visiting me for mods I open the air filter to take fist fulls of leaves out for them. I would start here, it take 3 seconds to do and seeing as some people have had half the box full it could unlock lots of power for you :)

Every car I have visiting me for mods I open the air filter to take fist fulls of leaves out for them. I would start here, it take 3 seconds to do and seeing as some people have had half the box full it could unlock lots of power for you :)

Somebody's a purple buy today.....hey......hey :lol: