Sharp clicking sound

Montechristos

Hello all,

I have a problem with my 350z of 2004 with 60000 Kms.

(actually I had the problem before, but it seems accentuated now)

When the inertia of the car changes, I get a sharp clicking sound coming from the back of the car.

Examples:

- In 2nd gear, when I accelerate (not very hard) it does an initial 'click'. When i lift my foot off the accelerator, and the engine 'breaks' the car it clicks again.

- When I put reverse, as soon as it starts moving, it clicks once. When I go forward again it makes the click again. (it is not the 'stuck' hand-break noise)

The click is quite loud and sharp, but when the car moves with the same inertia, it doesn't do it.

Any technical savy person can help identify the problem?

Thanks in advance.

apologies i was using my phone to reply. The ARB drop links can be replaced by you if you feel handy or its a quick job for a garage to do and may save you the hassle if the nuts are rusted :)

you can source new ones from nissan themselves or ZMANALEX or R35LEE can supply them (probably cheaper) for you so worth firing them a PM :thumbs:

The ARB drop links are either side at the rear of the car. they connect the anti roll bar to the suspension. the bar itself runs from one side, round the exhaust, round the diff and then connects to the other side. it is a black bar just under an inch in diameter which should be clearly visible if you stick your head under the back (maybe jack the car up to see).

its not a costly repair if thats what it is.

hope that helps.

The dealers will rob you if you take it there tbh.

Potentially it could be CV joints wearing although this tends to manifest itself as a click click click rather than a distinct clunk on the change of inertia.

Hi,

We have heavy duty replacement front and rear links you can view on our website link http://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue.php?make=Nissan&model=350Z&vehicle=Z33+COUPE+%26+ROADSTER+10%2F03-09 and click the part number to view them.

when wanting to purchase click where to buy at top of page and select your area and it will list dealers close to you to contact

if you unbolt the ARB drop link, cable tie it out the way and then go for a drive and listen if the noise is gone. or spray loads of grease in and see if it remedies it, if it does you need replacements.

Thanks mate, common sense really :blush:

The drop links are can also be especially loud when going round roundabouts I found. I got a steady cluckinging on mine every time, but could only hear it with window open.

can recommend the powerflex ones from :pmzmanalex: they appeared much higher quality that the Nissan original and cheaper as well

I have this exact same issue, i thought it was the clicky axle problem but reading through this i think it might be the arb drop links now... can't really hear it with windows up but windows down quite noticable.

i'm assuming it's the blue bit next to the wheel?

AA0278-oncar-lrg.jpg

I have this exact same issue, i thought it was the clicky axle problem but reading through this i think it might be the arb drop links now... can't really hear it with windows up but windows down quite noticable.

i'm assuming it's the blue bit next to the wheel?

AA0278-oncar-lrg.jpg

I'm sure its the rear drop links that cause the problem mate. Yours dont look OEM. ;)

haha sorry, stole a generic image from another post on the forum! and i realise it's front. but figured it'd be the similar component connecting all the bits... so is it the blue bit?! :D

edit: having had a look i can see it's now totally different ala,

swaybar.jpg

silvery bit at the end it i'm assuming?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little confused about these, as there seems to be two different problems that cause similar noises.

Could anyone describe them in a little more detail?

I can hear clicking but not with the windows up, and to be honest, i pull away i can hear a click and if i come off the accelerate it sort of clicks again, put my foot down and i can hear the click again etc etc, but can't really tell if this is from the front or the back.

Additional to this, when i go around an island, it sounds like i've got a stone in my wheel, what could that be? it may actually be a stone.. but can't see one as of yet

Either,

You have ALL the symptoms of Click rear axle :surrender:

A. clicky rear axle as already stated.

B. Rear/front drop links.

C. brake pads "clacking" in the callipers, but only non oem ones.

D. Door rubbers/door stops need greasing.

E. Good luck... :lol::lol::lol: