Uprated shocks or coilovers?

Rob2005

After a few spirited drives over my local Brecon Beacons etc im thinking id like to reduce the amount of bodyroll i have from the standard set up on the car.

Im not sure i want the harshness of coilovers as i dont track the car, im not sure just lowering the car would suit my need either.

After reading several articles about the GT-S concept am i right in thinking it had Bilstein shocks and NOT coilovers and if so does anyone have them fitted?

Or am i being a pussy and just get coilovers? I am worried about the Nismo kit scraping on the crappy welsh roads so any advise would be great :D

Your car already has coilovers on the front, the rears are separate springs and dampers. There isn't any reason why going for aftermarket suspension would give you a harsh ride unless you require it to. It all comes down to choosing the right parts for your needs. If you choose an adjustable suspension setup you can tailor the ride quality to how you want it. The likes of KW, Bilstein etc will give you a good setup that won't break your spine on the road. I'd suggest speaking to the guys at Abbey Motorsport for some advice on what setup would suit your needs.

I have Tein Coilovers with EDFC so I can control the damper settings from inside the Zed.

16 different settings on both front and rear so ranging from trackday hard to every bit as comfy as an OE set-up but still with much better handling. Also have Nismo roll bars and uprated arms which help with flat cornering without unduly affecting ride comfort.

Had Eibach springs on my last NA Zed and they seemed much better than the OE set-up - no loss of ride comfort - better stance/handling albeit not at the level of my present SC Zed.

After a few spirited drives over my local Brecon Beacons etc im thinking id like to reduce the amount of bodyroll i have from the standard set up on the car.

Im not sure i want the harshness of coilovers as i dont track the car, im not sure just lowering the car would suit my need either.

After reading several articles about the GT-S concept am i right in thinking it had Bilstein shocks and NOT coilovers and if so does anyone have them fitted?

Or am i being a pussy and just get coilovers? I am worried about the Nismo kit scraping on the crappy welsh roads so any advise would be great :D

I have found my adjustable BC coilovers can work well on road and track. A good kit at a reasonable price.

I found the BC coilovers are good value, and their damper adjustment is very wide. In softest settings it seems softer than oe. Yet set to full stiffness your set for a track, or a broken spine, or in my case to simply stop the wheels rubbing on my arches lol

• 1 month later...

looking at the bc coilovers, been quoted:

BC damper kit £724-20 inc vat

Labour to fit £360-00 inc vat this includes fitting the rear damper adjustment cables so you can tweak the rear dampers easily.

4 wheel alignment £120-00 inc vat

Total £1200-00 inc vat

does this seem average? How low have you got your Z sitting on them?

James

I measured the ride height before I fitted my BC kit and dropped each corner by 20mm.

I am happy with that. I dont like my cars too low and scrapping the ground.

The fitting price sounds alittle steep to me but may be the going rate round your way.

I fitted them myself.

I then took the car to be alligned. It was £59 for front and rear toe. £12.50 per corner for camber.

Only the rear is adjustable for camber.

Try to leave the settings of the rear spring height adjusters and the damper bodies as they are from the factory for now. If you find the car wants lowering from the factory settings, make sure you adjust the spring height and damper body length equally.

:thumbs:

I fitted them myself.

I then took the car to be alligned. It was £59 for front and rear toe. £12.50 per corner for camber.

Only the rear is adjustable for camber.

Try to leave the settings of the rear spring height adjusters and the damper bodies as they are from the factory for now. If you find the car wants lowering from the factory settings, make sure you adjust the spring height and damper body length equally.

:thumbs:

As above...nothing you can't do yourself. However, you can't get the rear camber spot on even with adjustable camber arms as it knocks the toe out which is far more important. For that matter pm zmanalex. You can change the snail bolts and a get a wider toe adjustment and the kit is cheap and easy to install apparently.

The settings I wanted- not too far from standard were attainable with standard toe and camber adjusters. No extra parts required.

With a 20mm drop, the front camber measured -1.2 deg ( still in Nissan spec). The rear camber was set to -2.0 degrees.

The settings I wanted- not too far from standard were attainable with standard toe and camber adjusters. No extra parts required.

With a 20mm drop, the front camber measured -1.2 deg ( still in Nissan spec). The rear camber was set to -2.0 degrees.

True mate...i am not using a rear toe adjuster (camber can only go as low as 2.3) and then I adjusted the front camber to 2.5 too!! which was still fine for everyday driving etc etc. Thing is that if one uses his car only as a daily driver or posing machine then he probably wants the cambers close to zero and the maximum of the tyre life. I am sure you ve seen the shape of your front tyres after a couple of trackdays...fine on the outside and bold on the inside :p

i wont lie.... That means nothing to me :p - I am new to the mod scene!! but i am learning fast... however wouldn't feel comfortable replacing the shocks and springs on my Z.... :blush:

I think I will have to take it to a garage to get it fitted..

My tyres wear very evenly across the width of the tyre but with a bit of feathering on the outside edge.

If you are ending up with bald inner edges with only -2.5 camber, I suggest your toe may be incorrect. :blink:

During track days wear is fine even with 2.5 but on the road a camber over 1 degrees would be obvious on the inside. Hence the need for adjustable camber arms.

Best thing is to have them fitted by a garage anyway if not confident enough :blush: