Tearing my hair out over this decision!

waltzinblack

I really REALLY would love to get my Zed Supercharged. The problem is, I only have 4 or 5k to do it. MIGHT be able to stretch a little bit.

I have been searching and annoying Mark at Abbey with my PMs (sorry! :surrender: ) for a while now, but I still need to know a few things.

I would just get the usual N/A mods done, but I cant help thinking that it's such bad value for money, you pay a lot for relatively little gains, when paying a couple of grand more with a Supercharger would get me good, noticeable gains!

So my question is, is it possible to have a reliable supercharged car with nice power gains for less than £5k?

I've read that one place up North somewhere used to install the Stillen supercharger for around that amount? But as with a lot of threads on this forum, that was a pretty old post, and I wondered if this was still the case, and if the Stillen is any good, and reliable? (I can live with the bonnet bulge if it really is the only way!)

Other things that sprung to mind were: buy the HKS or Vortech kit myself for ~£5k, and either try and fit it myself (with the help of a friend who is an amateur mechanic and fixed up his own MGBGT - is it easy enough?) or maybe ask my local Indy to fit it for me, THEN after its fitted take it down to Abbey for a remap to adjust it all so it runs nice and safely. The quoted figures of £9k+ for a UK installed supercharger are just too much, but getting my Indy to do it I cant see they would charge an extra £4k on top just to fit it.

Final question, what are the HIDDEN OTHER costs of the supercharger? Are there any other parts that NEED to be fitted to make it run reliably? I don't need massive power, 350/360 would make me happy! But are there any other things apart from the cost of the kit, cost of fitting it and the cost of a remap to tune it afterwards that it would NEED to stop it blowing up? I was under the idea that the kits were pretty bolt on and complete..

Thank you so much!

or sell ur own car and buy another sc zed with everything already done :teeth: ive seen quite a few for sale over the last few months,

only thing if you do it all urself and spend big money on it you will at least know its done right! but then again the resale value will make you cry :headhurt:

Fitting is very straight forward if you are handy with the tools and know your way around the Zed.

However, quite a few forum members have come unstuck when carrying out this install and the cost to rectify there botch ups, far exceeded the cost to get a professional install in the first place.

My advice would be to get it installed by the pro. who would be carrying out your tune.

If you are on a tight budget then unfortunately this type of upgrade is not for you.

Alex. :)

Where has the sudden influx of fi zeds come from? Quite a few for sale recently? Not quite.

A few botched diy jobs? Afaik only me & nurrish have diy it recentley.......

Simple fact is that you cant do it on a budget. Something else will always be needed that you hadn't planned on

Meh.. well at least you guys have made the decision for me! It's better to no that you really can't do it on a budget rather than wondering all the time!! Thanks for the input, even though I'd hoped there was some miracle way of doing it cheap!

So it's N/A mods for me I guess! I'm thinking one of Abbey's packages, (circa £2000), but then what else can I do? Is it possible to push a DE up to sort of 310/320bhp naturally aspirated? I'd like as little modification to the looks and sound of the car as possible, haha

Have a look on my350z cheap t build there...

tt

http://my350z.com/forum/forced-inductio ... -pics.html

st

http://my350z.com/forum/members/boosted ... page3.html

some vortech's come up for sale on there too... shouldn't be to hard if your handy with spanner :lol: I'd personally leave the fuel system to a pro though, can end badly and rather 'know' that someone competent went at it.

:dance:

My SC Zed was up for sale for months. It was by far the cheapest way to get reliable FI power with extra mods like Tein suspension, Nismo roll bars, JWT clutch & lightweight flywheel, PF discs and Kaaz diff. The cost to add these to an OE Zed is just far too much.

Its gone now - but my advice would be to BUY not to BUILD - let someone else take the expense.

My SC Zed was up for sale for months. It was by far the cheapest way to get reliable FI power with extra mods like Tein suspension, Nismo roll bars, JWT clutch & lightweight flywheel, PF discs and Kaaz diff. The cost to add these to an OE Zed is just far too much.

Its gone now - but my advice would be to BUY not to BUILD - let someone else take the expense.

It was a great price! Not many people try and sell the z fi though, seem to get more for bits and then put back to standard for px etc. You coming up to the smoke to hand the car over? Might meet up with you and check the car out one last time :-)

... You coming up to the smoke to hand the car over? Might meet up with you and check the car out one last time :-)

I have to go via Rosslare - Fishguard and then drive down to Bournemouth. At least I get a final road trip from the Zed. I've already got that sickening feeling in my gut that I've only ever had once before from selling on a car - didn't have that with my last Zed.

... You coming up to the smoke to hand the car over? Might meet up with you and check the car out one last time :-)

I have to go via Rosslare - Fishguard and then drive down to Bournemouth. At least I get a final road trip from the Zed. I've already got that sickening feeling in my gut that I've only ever had once before from selling on a car - didn't have that with my last Zed.

:surrender: thats some service your offering there!

http://www.google.ie/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Bournemouth,+United+Kingdom&daddr=51.90874,-3.85833+to:fishguard&hl=en&geocode=FZHzBQMdAVbj_yn9Z6CxoJhzSDGULKlrFeAuOw%3BFYQQGAMdZiDF_ykDKyfqh1NuSDFQQ0t8J4sNEw%3BFVdaGQMdSRa0_ylTmNMBzNBoSDEQ2ZjUI4sNBQ&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1&sll=51.358062,-3.131104&sspn=2.294814,5.817261&ie=UTF8&ll=51.831959,-3.634415&spn=0.283873,0.727158&z=11

^take that detour :teeth:

shame you feel that way about letting her go, means you should keep her ;):lol:

....http://www.google.ie/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Bournemouth,+United+Kingdom&daddr=51.90874,-3.85833+to:fishguard&hl=en&geocode=FZHzBQMdAVbj_yn9Z6CxoJhzSDGULKlrFeAuOw%3BFYQQGAMdZiDF_ykDKyfqh1NuSDFQQ0t8J4sNEw%3BFVdaGQMdSRa0_ylTmNMBzNBoSDEQ2ZjUI4sNBQ&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1&sll=51.358062,-3.131104&sspn=2.294814,5.817261&ie=UTF8&ll=51.831959,-3.634415&spn=0.283873,0.727158&z=11

^take that detour :teeth:

Yeah - I know that route - taken it a couple of times before - once at 0300 in the morning in a Racing Puma I used to own - but I'm gonna be tight on time as is so main roads its gotta be.