Which phone should I go for?

HassanZ

Hi all,

Currently I have an iPhone 3GS 16GB and the contract is about to expire.

I am looking for a new phone which I plan to purchase on Pay as you go and then get a 'sim only' contract. In the long run it works out cheaper purchasing an offline phone and paying a lower monthly line rental fee on a 'sim only' deal, additionally you tend to receive much better allowances on a 'sim only' deal also. The only disadvantage of this is the large investment towards a new phone prior to purchasing the contract. Whereas on a contract phone, the cost of the phone is spread out over the contract period. On a 'sim only' deal, you may cancel the contract with a 28 day written notification which is very convenient.

Now down to the reason I started this thread:

Which phone should I purchase?

I am trying to avoid the iPhone as the battery life is rubbish and the phone is unbelievably slow!

Any suggestions??

iPhone is slow? :scare:

I got a feeling it's the jailbreak hacks you have installed in Cydia making it so slow and the battery to run out of juice...

Hi all,

I am looking for a new phone which I plan to purchase on Pay as you go and then get a 'sim only' contract. In the long run it works out cheaper purchasing an offline phone and paying a lower monthly line rental fee on a 'sim only' deal, additionally you tend to receive much better allowances on a 'sim only' deal also. The only disadvantage of this is the large investment towards a new phone prior to purchasing the contract. Whereas on a contract phone, the cost of the phone is spread out over the contract period. On a 'sim only' deal, you may cancel the contract with a 28 day written notification which is very convenient.

I am trying to avoid the iPhone as the battery life is rubbish and the phone is unbelievably slow!

Any suggestions??

iPhone is slow? :scare:

I got a feeling it's the jailbreak hacks you have installed in Cydia making it so slow and the battery to run out of juice...

Hi all,

Any suggestions??

Yes it is Jailbroken and yes I have a few apps in Cydia ;)

Great analysis mate :lol:

Without these hacks, the phone is a pile of s**t!!!!

I am quiet disappointed with the iPhone to be honest... :thumbdown:

htc desire hd, bit out of date, so basically what ever is the latest greatest HTC phone.

Yeah I've heard a lot of hoohaaa about the HTC's but have never seen nor used them! A lot of people have mentioned these to me and say it's by far the best phone. Which one is the newest one? They have quiet a few out now.

What about the Google phone?

I got rid of my iPhone 3G last month as I too thought it was painfully slow (and it wasn't jail broken).

Changed to the HTC Desire S and I have to say I'm impressed with it. Extremely quick, especially on the web. Not as much android stuff as there is for the iPhone, but most of the iPhone stuff I downloaded I never used anyway. Battery life isn't great (better than the iPhone, but still needs charging almost every day if you use the Bluetooth and WiFi a lot), but all smart phones are like that to be honest.

E-mail and internet access is brilliant. Video is nice as well. Music isn't in the same league as the iPhone, but I have an iPod anyway.

All in all, it performs very well. Worth a look.

Try this:

1. Sync to iTunes - backup photos, apps, music, p0rn, etc :lol::lol:

2. Restore the phone in iTunes using the latest firmware

3. Activate as NEW iphone, don't use any backup

4. Jailbreak, install Cydia, run it for first time

5. Add the following sources in Cydia:

deb http://cydia.xsellize.com/ ./                                               
deb http://sinfuliphonerepo.com/ ./                                             
deb http://cydia.hackulo.us/ ./ 
deb http://ihacksrepo.com/ ./                                                   

6. Install only what you need, do not install Themes and all crappy stuff. I use:

- SBSettings

- Barrel

- BiteSMS

- CallClear

- FBUploader

- FolderEnhancer

- Full Charge Alert

- iFile

- Infinidock

- Installous4

- IphoneDelivery

- LockInfo

- MailEnhancer

- My3G

- Navigate from maps

- Notifier+

- OpenSSH & AutoSSH

- PdaNet

- Springtomize

- Synchronicity

Your choice here.

7. Install Springtomize and play with the advanced settings for hacking the phone to act the way you want.

8. Sync the apps, photos, music, etc and leave the p0rn out :lol::lol:

It should be a lot faster!

Any questions please ask!

Just one of the things I don't like the HTCs it's the fact that you can't choose in the email IMAP settings how to handle the folders, where to store the sent emails, draft, etc...

What's wrong with charging the phone every night if that is the case? It's not like we're leaving in Antarctica and the electricity is not very accessible....

I got rid of my iPhone 3G last month as I too thought it was painfully slow (and it wasn't jail broken).

Changed to the HTC Desire S and I have to say I'm impressed with it. Extremely quick, especially on the web. Not as much android stuff as there is for the iPhone, but most of the iPhone stuff I downloaded I never used anyway. Battery life isn't great (better than the iPhone, but still needs charging almost every day if you use the Bluetooth and WiFi a lot), but all smart phones are like that to be honest.

E-mail and internet access is brilliant. Video is nice as well. Music isn't in the same league as the iPhone, but I have an iPod anyway.

All in all, it performs very well. Worth a look.

I went from iPhone 3G to iPhone 4 and it's sooo much quicker. Gave my iPhone 3G to the missus, every time I use it I feel like I've gone backwards a few years. Get yourself a 4 or wait until June for the new iPhone, probably best bet.

Try this:

1. Sync to iTunes - backup photos, apps, music, p0rn, etc :lol::lol:

2. Restore the phone in iTunes using the latest firmware

3. Activate as NEW iphone, don't use any backup

4. Jailbreak, install Cydia, run it for first time

5. Add the following sources in Cydia:

deb http://cydia.xsellize.com/ ./                                               
deb http://sinfuliphonerepo.com/ ./                                             
deb http://cydia.hackulo.us/ ./ 
deb http://ihacksrepo.com/ ./                                                   

6. Install only what you need, do not install Themes and all crappy stuff. I use:

- SBSettings

- Barrel

- BiteSMS

- CallClear

- FBUploader

- FolderEnhancer

- Full Charge Alert

- iFile

- Infinidock

- Installous4

- IphoneDelivery

- LockInfo

- MailEnhancer

- My3G

- Navigate from maps

- Notifier+

- OpenSSH & AutoSSH

- PdaNet

- Springtomize

- Synchronicity

Your choice here.

7. Install Springtomize and play with the advanced settings for hacking the phone to act the way you want.

8. Sync the apps, photos, music, etc and leave the p0rn out :lol::lol:

It should be a lot faster!

Any questions please ask!

Thank you for your helpful advice!

Last time I tried syncing a jailbroken iPhone with my PC, it ended up transferring virus's :bang:

I am scared of connecting it up to the PC now...

You mentioned I should back up the phone. When I do that and restore phone, do I jailbreak it then transfer the stuff back or do it before the jailbreak?

Last time I tried syncing a jailbroken iPhone with my PC, it ended up transferring virus's :bang:

That is very unlikely to be the reason you had the virus, I so much doubt that...

You mentioned I should back up the phone. When I do that and restore phone, do I jailbreak it then transfer the stuff back or do it before the jailbreak?

Don't use the iTunes backup / restore function, set it as a new phone after the Restore process in iTunes. There are lots of tutorials on iClarified <--- click

Best value smartphone bar none is the Orange San Francisco.

You can unlock it for free from tinternet, just search for unlock orange san francisco.

Android phone and great reviews...bargain.

Bought the wife one and she loves it.

What's better...the HTC Desire S or Desire HD?

Ive had both, the Desire S is the newest and has an upgraded android platform,

the HD has a better camera and a larger screen (but the phone is huge because of this)

the S does everything (inc HD format Video) that the HD does and is a better size IMO for a phone.

i love the S and its cheaper.. ( brand new, poss not 2nd hand as its newer)

also, with android you can get most of the apps that are on the IPhone and others that are not..

the IPhone vs the World is a debate is one i don't want to get into, its just my opinion :p

hope it helps, (makes sence)

Will

“The latest research just shows that Android users need to be even more careful with their phones than they are with their PCs,†said Omri Sigelman, vice-president of AVG Mobilation, a provider of security software for Android. All platforms are vulnerable to hackers, particularly at the beginning of their lives, but the openness and popularity of Android means that it is especially at risk."

Hi all,

Any suggestions??

Samsung Galaxy S. "Awesome". ;)