DA Polisher advice needed

rtbiscuit

Be careful with the Megs Ultimate Compound, I've used it before and it can be abrasive.

Pick an unseen part of the body work first and rub some by hand rather than with the machine first.

Only vehicle I have used the Ultimate Compound on is an Audi (read german hard paint, unlike jap cars)

I've used the Ultimate compound on cars with soft paint (Nissan and Mazda) without any problems. As long as it's with a DA polisher rather than an orbital you can't go far wrong

Think I'm gonna get one of thes ein the next month. Is there an experienced DA using member in the south east that would want to show me whats what for the process when I get one? I mini members workshop if you will.................. :thumbs:

BM has experience with them, and i've been to meguiars for a detailing seminar, and have a good idea of what i'm doing, and would have used it by next weekend, we're both in suffolk, but i'm sure between the 2 of us we could do a little getting to know your polisher tuition.

Rich, I bought the DAS6 a couple of weeks ago. I used the Megs polishing (yellow) and finishing (black) pads. They fit perfectly fine.

With regards to the products and order, I have done a write-up on the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48935&start=0

With regards to the pads, these are the ones I purchased:

http://www.autostyling4u.com/soft-buff- ... p-340.html

By the way, how much did the polisher cost you?

i read your write up a few days ago, i'm a fairly competant detailer, i'm bringing in a machine as the next step as i'm bored of getting a sore arm :blush: as for yuor machine you don't state what size backing plate you used with the pads?

as for mine i got it for 75.00

I personally wouldn't say your a competent detailer if you've never done proper paint correction via a machine, pc, refinishing, refining or what ever you want to call it. :wacko:

It really bugs me when someone says, "detailed the car today" Then i open their thread and all I see is, a wash, dry, glaze job. Occasionally clay may even pop up in them too. :blink: The term detailing is used far too loosely nowadays.

I do detailing from time to time, infact I did a Z4m this weekend. 10 hours on the rotary, usually on forums I am with I would post a little write up to help guys out, give tips and just show off the hard work off that i'm proud of, but I am not allowed on to on here as its classed as trying to get work and I need to be a trader. :headhurt:

Anyway, pads, megs 7" are fine on a 6" plate, as a noob make sure your backing plate is a soft foam one, helps you get a good indication of pressures being applied. Megs pads are good for beginners too for the same reason. very soft pads. My personal favourites are the 3m pads :)

Lime prime comes after the polishing stage, this is to prep the paint for wax. No need for preping before polish. :)

This debate about red mist/ grand finale on fresh -24hr wax has gone on for ages. I tend to do it, and the wax has still lasted months on end. Just get a good quality hard wax and your on to a winner in my book. ;)

cheers BM,

it was the ultimate compound they were using on the zed at the megs day and it worked well, what else do you reccomend for a polish to use on something like soft jap paint?

best polish range IMO is the Menzerna stuff, Menz IP is a god send. :)

Lime prime comes after the polishing stage, this is to prep the paint for wax. No need for preping before polish. :)

This debate about red mist/ grand finale on fresh -24hr wax has gone on for ages. I tend to do it, and the wax has still lasted months on end. Just get a good quality hard wax and your on to a winner in my book. ;)

Why would you use lime prime after the polishing stage? The whole point of polishing is to leave a finish that can be waxed?

Mainly surely you only need an IPA wipedown after the polishing stage to remove any residues left over, especially if the polish you're using contains fillers.

Menzerna doesnt have any fillers. Even if they did I do not use them for filling, polish for me is to re-finish the paintwork, not covering up the defects. Plus they will only re surface again shortly afterwards if filled.

I use LP or LPL simply to get the paintwork prep'd for wax. Its a pre wax cleanser after all, helps me to be fairly sure there are no oils on the paintwork in any spots from the polish. But yes your right, an IPA wipe down is far better suited but a lot of people don't have Isopropanol to hand. LP can help im sure, (well that was my random theory anyway, cant do no harm lol)

I was more getting at it is not needed for before PWC, Wash, clay, tape and ready to go.

I do detailing from time to time, infact I did a Z4m this weekend. 10 hours on the rotary, usually on forums I am with I would post a little write up to help guys out, give tips and just show off the hard work off that i'm proud of, but I am not allowed on to on here as its classed as trying to get work and I need to be a trader. :headhurt:

Do you take payment for your work? If so and its not your day job, then I'm afraid you are a part-time trader. Its not fair for some to pay to advertise and some to "put threads to help others" when new work (trade) may come from it ;) We cost sod all to advertise on, so its not like you dont make the money back quickly.

[quote name="rtbiscuit

I personally wouldn't say your a competent detailer if you've never done proper paint correction via a machine' date=' pc, refinishing, refining or what ever you want to call it.

The great resource that is wikipedia refers to detailing as:

Auto detailing (UK: Car valeting), is the performance of an extremely thorough cleaning, polishing and waxing of an automobile, both inside and out, to produce a show-quality level of detail. Besides improving appearance, detailing helps to preserve resale value of a car.

Now as cars dont always require a clay or polish, I would refer to detailing as any proper clean where you strip any protection from the paint (wax/sealant/etc) and clean it before reapplying it. You dont need to be armed with a DA/rotary to detail a car, far from it, but I do think it requires stripping of protection and reprepping of the paintwork. Lots of details that pros do a "protection" details that involve no correction work :thumbs:

agreed yes its a free forum, so is detailing world though? They dont ask for payment from everyone wanting to show there work off. Dont worry I understand why you want to charge. I see both my side and your side of the argument ;) well just leave it there.

Yes i agree detailing has become the buzz word for cleaning. I wasnt trying to say you dont know what your doing, just occasionally annoys me people thinking they are detailers when there not, I dont see my self as one and I have been doing paint correction for few years now.

Anyway hope you venture into it goes well. Any questions I'll try help (without seeming grumpy this time ;) ) lol

Back to the machine...

These polishers, do they have to be plugged into the mains or can they be plugged into the car cigarette socket? I cant park my car within distance of my house so this is a key issue to resolve before splashing out, its not clear in many adverts for these machines what you have to plug it into...

They plug in. And if you read DW forums, there used to be a chap that bought really good cable and sell it cheap so you can extend the lead. I think by default the lead on a DAS6 is about 3m, I bought 10m from this chap so I can do all around my car from the single socket in the garage and not have to drag around an extension lead :#1:

i've been looking at the chemical guys hex logic pads they seem to be very good. just got to email them to find out if their 6.5" pad fits the 6" face plate. as thats the largest apd they do.

they reccomend the 5" plate for a 6" pad. but never say what to use for the 6.5" pad?

Menzerna doesnt have any fillers. Even if they did I do not use them for filling, polish for me is to re-finish the paintwork, not covering up the defects. Plus they will only re surface again shortly afterwards if filled.

I use LP or LPL simply to get the paintwork prep'd for wax. Its a pre wax cleanser after all, helps me to be fairly sure there are no oils on the paintwork in any spots from the polish. But yes your right, an IPA wipe down is far better suited but a lot of people don't have Isopropanol to hand. LP can help im sure, (well that was my random theory anyway, cant do no harm lol)

I was more getting at it is not needed for before PWC, Wash, clay, tape and ready to go.

Never said menzerna did fella :thumbs: It's fair enough to use lp or lpl after polish, I just see it as an unnecessary step is all when ipa is so cheap and will suffice :thumbs:

Ooooo that's some good.... :lol:

I live on a main road in Zone 2 London, if someone has a 50m+ extension lead I could borrow it might do the trick... ;):lol:

Diesel generator or hotwire it into a street lamp :lol:

I was thinking more along the lines of a scamera, surely there'll be plenty of those nearby? :p

i've been looking at the chemical guys hex logic pads they seem to be very good. just got to email them to find out if their 6.5" pad fits the 6" face plate. as thats the largest apd they do.

they reccomend the 5" plate for a 6" pad. but never say what to use for the 6.5" pad?

Thought megs pads were 6.5"? Honestly, I think 6.5" on a 5" plate will be fine, but I can see why you may want to double check :thumbs:

It's fair enough to use lp or lpl after polish, I just see it as an unnecessary step is all when ipa is so cheap and will suffice :thumbs:

Ooooo that's some good.... :lol:

I find that the paint has a glaze type feel to it after using LP/LPL, whereas after IPA it doesnt seem quite as silky smooth, I mean its smooth, but not as glossy if that makes sense.

I find that the paint has a glaze type feel to it after using LP/LPL, whereas after IPA it doesnt seem quite as silky smooth, I mean its smooth, but not as glossy if that makes sense.

IPA can sort of leave a little bit of dryness, think I know what you mean, but I don't think it affects the finish, in fact, I'm not entirely sure that lpl doesn't have any filling properties.

I live on a main road in Zone 2 London, if someone has a 50m+ extension lead I could borrow it might do the trick... ;):lol:

Diesel generator or hotwire it into a street lamp :lol:

I was thinking more along the lines of a scamera, surely there'll be plenty of those nearby? :p

No need for cameras near me, the average speed is about 6mph in London traffic...self regulating!