HELP.. Rover 200 Knacked, poss Cylinder Head?

brown7758

Well, 5 weeks ago my other halfs step dad thought a V reg Rover was a good idea for her 1st car :bangin:

today on the motorway, sitting at 70 there was an odd whirring sound from the engine and the temp gauge raised to the top with a loss of power (not total loss)..

i pulled onto the hard shoulder and cut the engine, opened the bonnet and there was steam + the coolant was boiling in the overflow tank (causing the preasure release to let some out, hence the steam)

ive checked the oil cap and no mayo to be found, ive checked the oil level and thats fine..

the coolant level is almost empty (at the bottom of the reservoir)

the AA guy (who gave us a tow the last 30miles and put it through as a personal choice as i have basic cover and would have had to pay £180) said it could be the Cylinder head gasket as it doesnt start and he said it sounds as if there is no compression or pressure (one or the other, was annoyed with the car so cant remember)

absolutely any help/ ideas etc. would be greatly appreciated..

also seen two Zeds whilst waiting on the AA guy,

1 Blue and 1 sunset,

M6 Northbound at jct 23A @ between 1500 and 1540

thanks,

Will

Most likely head gasket. Is it a 1.4 k series? Do a compression test and then you can be sure but being as the head gaskets are weak points it would be the first port of call.

Agreed and hope the liners haven't dropped, not uncommon :thumbdown:

Most likely head gasket. Is it a 1.4 k series? Do a compression test and then you can be sure but being as the head gaskets are weak points it would be the first port of call.

Agreed and hope the liners haven't dropped, not uncommon :thumbdown:

This has happened to me in my naive days, bought a 1.4 ZR, never again, pistons and liners were shot! It's this very point that I'm amazed a chinese company thinks the brits will take to MG/Rover again, the current generation of prospective buyers will never take to a brand that they associate with shody build quality, decade old designs and pensioners. It's a brand dead in the water but best of luck to them.

thanks 4 the replies, had a feeling thats what the outcome would be..

i would do it, but dont have the tools to skim the head, but her Best m8s boyfriend manages a garage, so i may go there and do the work with his help..

really didnt need this with her car just after my clutch went.. never get my kit fitted at this rate :p

my first car was a rover 214, and i blew the head gasket :lol: cost 500 quid to fix, and i bought the car for 300 origianlly. and that was over 10 years ago. mine was easy to tell you could see where the gasket blew out. plus it had the creamy coolant.

there was a revised and replacment gasket that fixed the issue,